Cost Effective Options for Travel in Africa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cost Effective Options for Travel in Africa

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2007, 9:33 am

Programs: Discretely with AA-G AFFB-C2 UA-EP LHLX-S HH-D
By "ticket specials" I was a bit loose-tongued! Sorry. I meant "useful tips and hints from fellow users about interesting fares".

What I find Very intelligent about Club Africa is how KLM, more than any other airline of any decent repute, have sought to harness the style of online social networks to get people to be on _their_ site more. We swap usueful info, and all the time KLM runs the chance of us clicking and buying on their main site. Really savvy.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by PaulRO
By "ticket specials" I was a bit loose-tongued! Sorry. I meant "useful tips and hints from fellow users about interesting fares".

What I find Very intelligent about Club Africa is how KLM, more than any other airline of any decent repute, have sought to harness the style of online social networks to get people to be on _their_ site more. We swap usueful info, and all the time KLM runs the chance of us clicking and buying on their main site. Really savvy.

I agree that it is a good site. However, I must keep looking for tips about interesting fares - which I unfortunately have not found so far;-)

I am likely to buy an intercontinental KLM ticket to Africa, but this has more to do with accessing the KQ network for economy and business class flights on the KLM Passport for Africa product;-)

Joking apart, I am happy to share some of my experiences on the site and have made a few interesting contacts. However, I have noticed that some people seem to request contacts with limited discernable logic, going more for quantity than quality and relevance.

One thing I have found a little frustrating is trying to find what % you get for certain actions to increase your overall percentage visibility on the site.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Im planning on booking an open-jaw award ticket using Delta miles with KQ….itinerary would be Addis Ababa-NBO-JNB with a JNB-NBO-SEZ (Seychelles) return…is that sort of an open jaw allowed for a business class ticket? Any thoughts on their J or Y class products or the transfer experience would be appreciated.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Im planning on booking an open-jaw award ticket using Delta miles with KQ….itinerary would be Addis Ababa-NBO-JNB with a JNB-NBO-SEZ (Seychelles) return…is that sort of an open jaw allowed for a business class ticket? Any thoughts on their J or Y class products or the transfer experience would be appreciated.
The main rule on an open-jaw redemption is that the open-jaw segment has to be the shortest leg of the triangle. In your case SEZ-ADD is the shortest leg of the triangle, so you're OK on that front.

As for the experience, I have no idea.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 7:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Any thoughts on their J or Y class products or the transfer experience would be appreciated.
Within Africa I've flown on KQ's 737 in J and Y. Both were fine. J was comparable to domestic F on US carriers. Some JNB-NBO flights are operated on an intl configured 763 though.

NBO is a small airport and you can stay airside for your transfer. J pax can use the Simba lounge which has showers and 2 usually nonfunctioning internet terminals. The lounge is small and can get very busy.

There's security at each gate but I wouldn't go through too early as there's nothing but a boarding area on the other side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.