Connecting with ST and killing time at IAH and ATL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting with ST and killing time at IAH and ATL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2007, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SkyTeam: AF/KL Gold. Star Alliance: CM Gold; AV Gold; UA. OneWorld: BA Sapphire
Question Connecting with ST and killing time at IAH and ATL

In a couple of weeks I’ll be flying business class from South America to NYC (on CO) and back (on DL).

Both ways, I’ll have pretty long stopovers (at IAH and ATL respectively). Initially I was planning on just resting and doing some work in the lounges. Now I am beginning to consider leaving the airport and going for a little tour of the city (especially in Atlanta, where I’ve never been so far).

Now my questions:

1) Is it possible at IAH and ATL to leave the airport between your flights when you have checked in luggage to your final destination? (I was thinking that it might be easier when changing from national to international flight – which I’ll be doing in Atlanta – as I won’t have to pick up my luggage to go through customs. Might be harder at IAH when changing from international to national flight…)

2) If it IS possible to leave the airport, any tips on what to do (and maybe how to do it) with 6 hours to kill in Atlanta (and possibly in Houston too)? In a few major European airports (thinking AMS Schipol right now) there’s a very convenient tourist-bus service taking connecting passengers waiting for their next flight around Amsterdam and also to other locations in Holland! Is it just wishful thinking to hope to find something like that in ATL?!

3) Regarding the time I DO spend at IAH and ATL, would you recommend any lounges in particular (if there is more than one option)? At IAH I’ll be changing from international to national and at ATL from national to international…

Any advice / tips / recommendations will be more than welcome!

Thanks!
Old Jun 27, 2007, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
1. Yes, though on your outbound at IAH, recheck your bags after clearing U.S. customs first

2. Downtown Atlanta is easily reached via subway (MARTA) . DO a search in the U.S. South forum for Houston to dos. I posted such a request 2.5 years ago.

3. IAH has several CO lounges, as well as an AF and KL lounges (or used to).
Old Jun 28, 2007, 1:20 pm

2. IAH is a good ways north of downtown Houston, and AFAIK there are no good and easy transportation options to take you anywhere from IAH for a few hours. There is a public bus service, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Certainly nothing like in AMS.

And besides, honestly, I don't think it would be worth the effort to visit Houston over a 5-6 hour layover. Unless there's a specific restaurant you're dying to visit, or you have friends to visit in town.

3. I'm not sure if you can access CO's Presidents Clubs coming off a BusinessFirst international flight, but if you can, head to the PC in Terminal E, the biggest and best one. (an onwards domestic first class ticket will not get you into the PC)

You can also purchase a daypass for $45, which could be worth it for such a long layover.

For the best food at IAH, Visit Papadeaux in Terminal E ^
Old Jun 29, 2007, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IAHflyer
3. I'm not sure if you can access CO's Presidents Clubs coming off a BusinessFirst international flight, but if you can, head to the PC in Terminal E, the biggest and best one. (an onwards domestic first class ticket will not get you into the PC)
Yes, you can. Just keep your boarding pass and they'll let you in.

And I concur that getting to Houston is a PITA. Figure an hour each way at least to go to downtown. ATL is very convenient on MARTA and there are some great things to see. The Aquarium is phenomenal.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 5:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Southwest A List, United Silver, Jumeirah One Silver, Marriott Silver
Your BF boarding pass will allow you into any of the CO Presidents Clubs. As stated, the one in Terminal E is the best. Unfortunately, there is no great public transportation option to quickly go into Houston and back to IAH.

If it were me, I would go to one of the nicer restaurants in Terminal E (like Pappadeuxs) and spend the rest of the time in the lounge. You will not be able to bring food into the club. The club has free wireless internet access and free drinks, so it is perfect for getting some work done.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyTeam: AF/KL Gold. Star Alliance: CM Gold; AV Gold; UA. OneWorld: BA Sapphire
Thanks everyone for the tips.

I think I'll stay in the airport at IAH and enjoy the Presidents Club lounge in terminal E, as suggested.

At ATL, I will go into the city and do the touristy thing (Aquarium, CNN, Coca Cola World...)

Final question: is there a substantial difference between CO and DL business class flying from/to main hub and South American destinations (it'd be UIO this time in my case)?

I'm just wondering as I may be fortunate enough to be given the option...
Old Jul 5, 2007, 1:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Southwest A List, United Silver, Jumeirah One Silver, Marriott Silver
I would choose CO BusinessFirst over DL Biz if given the option because I prefer CO's service and food.

A knock on CO is that they don't have AVOD on their 767 and 777, but do on the 757 aircraft. Its been a while since Ive flown DL Biz so I cant remember if the IFE is on demand or not.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

CO does not operate the BF service to UIO. The IAH-UIO flight is operated on a 752, so you get the BF seat, but it is regular service (similar to transcon). And the 752 is only some of the time. Other times the flight is a 73G. And since it is not marketed as BF you have no recourse if you get the substitution. It looks like the DL flight is on a 757 from ATL. I don't know that DL has any of their 757s configured for the long-haul international runs, so I don't know what the seats are like, but SeatGuru seems to indicate only domestic-style seats on the DL 757s, so I'd check the schedule for the day you're planning and if CO has the 752 on the route go that way; definitely a more comfortable seat.

S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.