SkyTeam terminals where ST Elite Plus have no lounge access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyTeam terminals where ST Elite Plus have no lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:50 am

Inconsistent policy in BUD

At BUD yesterday there were two small airport-operated lounges that each served a big group of airlines. I was flying DL, and traveling with a NW Plat (STE+).

The lounge that served DL would not let us in. They showed me a letter from DL's Budapest office listing which DL customers should be admitted. It included anyone traveling on DL that day on a business class ticket (whether traveling DL directly from BUD, or connecting on another carrier in any class of service to a DL business class flight elsewhere) and it specifically included DL Skymiles Platinum members. It specifically excluded CRC members and Amex Plat cardholders (no surprise there, since it's not technically a CRC).

I tried to explain that the letter was wrong, that it should not say "Skymiles Platinum," but should say "Skyteam Elite Plus" and that NW Plat has the same lounge benefits on DL int'l as a DL PM. But they would not budge, even though the facing page in their book of airline instructions showed that a NW Plat traveling on AZ metal should be let into their lounge (as should any STE+ on AZ metal).

Realizing they were just following their instructions, we eventually gave up and left. I did obtain a copy of the DL letter, however, and am wondering if there's somebody to whom I should send it. I could maybe understand if they only gave access to business class and not coach pax, since the language quoted in my October 12 post above is ambiguous as to whether non-Skyteam-operated lounges are included in the STE+ benefit or not.

But why on earth would AZ allow in all STE+s, and DL let in only DL PMs and not other STE+s? That seems completely inconsistent.

As an epilogue, after giving up at the lounge serving DL pax, we went next door to the lounge serving NW/KL pax. While I figured my companion's STE+ status wouldn't work there (since we were flying DL, which isn't served by that lounge), my companion is also a Worldclubs member, and I thought I remembered reading that there was a lounge in BUD that Worldclubs members could access. We went in, and before we could even explain about the Worldclubs membership, they gave us immediate access based on her NW Plat status alone. Go figure.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by rclott
I ran into a related problem last year in NRT, dealing with the "same day ticketed flight" aspect. I flew into NRT on KE, but was departing on another airline (can't remember now which one). They refused me entrance, even though I am STE+ member, because they claimed I needed to be ticketed on an OUTBOUND flight with a Skyteam member, not on incoming flight.
Had two different issues occur last week, as an ST E+ on an int'l itinerary.

MXP AF lounge initially wanted to refuse me entry, because my BP was not dated the same day. I'd flown eastbound TATL from the U.S., and almost all ST eastbound TATL flights are overnight flights; therefore in almost all cases the BP will be dated the previous day, although the itinerary encompasses the arrival/transit day. I talked my way in, but she thought she was bending the rules. If her interpertation had been correct, almost all ST E+'s travelling from the US/CAN/SA to EU would be denied lounge access. note I was transiting MXP to PSA.

PSA, my destination point, I was told that I only get access on departures, not arrivals. (I'm AZ E+, that lounge is operated by the airport, not AZ).
Old Mar 16, 2007, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by themicah
At BUD yesterday there were two small airport-operated lounges that each served a big group of airlines. I was flying DL, and traveling with a NW Plat (STE+).

The lounge that served DL would not let us in. They showed me a letter from DL's Budapest office listing which DL customers should be admitted. It included anyone traveling on DL that day on a business class ticket (whether traveling DL directly from BUD, or connecting on another carrier in any class of service to a DL business class flight elsewhere) and it specifically included DL Skymiles Platinum members. It specifically excluded CRC members and Amex Plat cardholders (no surprise there, since it's not technically a CRC).

I tried to explain that the letter was wrong, that it should not say "Skymiles Platinum," but should say "Skyteam Elite Plus" and that NW Plat has the same lounge benefits on DL int'l as a DL PM. But they would not budge, even though the facing page in their book of airline instructions showed that a NW Plat traveling on AZ metal should be let into their lounge (as should any STE+ on AZ metal).

Realizing they were just following their instructions, we eventually gave up and left. I did obtain a copy of the DL letter, however, and am wondering if there's somebody to whom I should send it. I could maybe understand if they only gave access to business class and not coach pax, since the language quoted in my October 12 post above is ambiguous as to whether non-Skyteam-operated lounges are included in the STE+ benefit or not.

But why on earth would AZ allow in all STE+s, and DL let in only DL PMs and not other STE+s? That seems completely inconsistent.

As an epilogue, after giving up at the lounge serving DL pax, we went next door to the lounge serving NW/KL pax. While I figured my companion's STE+ status wouldn't work there (since we were flying DL, which isn't served by that lounge), my companion is also a Worldclubs member, and I thought I remembered reading that there was a lounge in BUD that Worldclubs members could access. We went in, and before we could even explain about the Worldclubs membership, they gave us immediate access based on her NW Plat status alone. Go figure.
You are not entitled to access to a non-carrier operated lounge as a ST E+ travelling internationally. Since these were airport-operated lounges it is basically up to the carriers to decide who they want to allow access for (and, more importantly, pay the lounge for).

CO does this at many european airports as noted in previous posts in this thread.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:35 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
This is why many mostly CO and DL fliers get a NW Worldclub membership instead because though fewer domestic NW operate clubs, they have the most extensive international partner affiliated lounges and you can get into PC and CRCs as well. Maybe worth the extra money if you do'nt have status on NW.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
You are not entitled to access to a non-carrier operated lounge as a ST E+ travelling internationally.
That was my original impression (read my earlier posts in the thread), but GUWonder's AF/KL experience and the AZ page I saw in the "who to let in" book in the BUD lounge both demonstrate that some Skyteam members interpret the benefit quite differently--effectively giving STE+ members the same access they give business class pax. If you re-read the actual Skyteam Benefits page, you'll see that it refers to "Skyteam partner lounges." It does not say "Skyteam partner operated lounges," so it's ambiguous whether the lounges have to be operated by a Skyteam partner or otherwise partnered with a Skyteam carrier.

That kind of ambiguity isn't really something you can take to the bank, and I accept CO's position that only business class travelers get into the non-CO-operated lounges in Europe. Had DL simply instructed the lounge to only let in business class travelers, I wouldn't have made a fuss.

But I am still baffled as to why DL would admit DL PMs traveling in coach but neither CRC members nor other STE+'s in coach. They're paying, so they can let in whoever they want, but I find it strange.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by themicah
But I am still baffled as to why DL would admit DL PMs traveling in coach but neither CRC members nor other STE+'s in coach. They're paying, so they can let in whoever they want, but I find it strange.
I think you answered your own question. If DL is paying, what benefit does DL derive from paying for STE+ members from other carriers? Let the other ST carriers pay the access fee for their own STE+ members.

I wholeheartedly agree with you concerning DL paying for CRC members. Now that DL no longer offers it for free to DL PMs, they should use some of that additional revenue to expand access for paid CRC members.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 1:35 am

as stated in other posts, you must remember that there are two (if not more) sets of rules governing lounge access.

skyteam rules state that eligible ST passengers (ST elite+ or intl BC,FC) are admitted to MOST ST partner lounges. These are lounges wholly operated by ST airlines. even at that, the word "MOST" still allows the airlines to deny entrance to certain lounges.

the other set of rules are that of the airlines. some airlines may allow their passengers (whether elite, ST elite+, BC/FC pass) access to their own or their participating partner lounges. If DL allows their platinums, (which are also STelite+) and BC/FC passengers into their partner lounges, that does not neccesarily mean ANY STelite+ may obtain entrance. that is simply a benefit DL has decided to offer. it has nothing to do with the ST alliance.

a good example is MAD. there is no ST lounge available for ALL ST passengers. CO offers a lounge only for its BC passengers. DL also offers a lounge for its BC passengers. both are random lounges they contract with for their BC passengers. CO offers NO access to their plat/ST elite+ customers where as DL will allow their plat/ST elite+ passengers entrance. again, nothing to do with ST.

to me, the world's alliances do nothing but allow for marginal reciprocal elite benefits and base mileage earning opportunities at best. I ,for one, have have only once been able to take advantage of the ST intl lounge program.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 3:32 pm

Gargoyle, there is a lounge in PSA? Where is it? Fly there regularly ...
Old Apr 2, 2007, 8:15 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Gold, DL Silver, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, NEXUS
Question Aeroflot Coach Access?

OK, so I am Delta Silver Medallion , flying Aeroflot SVO-JFK--I can access Aeroflot's lounge at SVO?

Or flying Aeroflot SVO-LED, same ability to access lounge?

Originally Posted by asnovici
Aeroflot also gives ALL ST Elite (Silver included) pax lounge access at non-ST lounges when flying coachwithin Russia. That not includes SU own Silvers, but regular Elites from other ST programs as well. By far the most liberal lounge access policy out of all ST airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.