Wiki Posts
Search

Kenya Airways now SkyTeam member (?)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold / ST Elite Plus, UA MP, BA Exec Club
Kenya Airways now SkyTeam member (?)

I spoke to DL Special Member Services this morning, inquiring about when Kenya Airways would join SkyTeam so that I can earn Delta miles for KQ flights. After a long hold, the agent said she had no info on KQ joining ST, and I would not be able to earn DL miles on my upcoming flight...

...then I called NW/KL reservations, and the agent informed me that KQ is now a full (associate?) ST partner, with mileage participation.

No word of this on KL or KQ's website, and the ST announcement of KQ's impending membership is a year old. Anyone have further information?
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I believe that NW/KL has had a relationship with KQ for an extended period of time, which is why the NW agent was familiar with them. KL actually sponsored the KQ membership in SkyTeam, IIRC.

Overall, the associate member program hasn't moved very smoothly. Great for a press release at one point in time but pretty useless for travellers in general.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 12:35 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
The associate membership program hasn't taken off yet and KQ is not in. OTOH, KQ is partly owned by KLM and is indeed a partner. Moreover, Flying Blue is the FFP of Kenya Airways and so flying KQ even gives you level miles (no other non-ST carrier does in FB)
Old Oct 2, 2006, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Kenya AW associate membership was announced in June 2005 along with other carriers: Air Europa, COPA and Tarom. Still nothing finalized, but why should that surprise anyone. China Southern was announced in 2004, and they are still not in ST yet!
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Yet as I recall, the press release indicated that all associate members would be coming on board in 2006. We're quickly running out of days in the year; some sort of update from ST would be nice.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 4:23 am

Kl/kq

I recall reading a few years ago that KL had taken an ownership stake in KQ (25%) and was thinking of taking a controlling stake. When i flew KQ 3 years ago, my KL platinum status got me a complimentary upgrade , so i think the two are very tight and it's just a matter of time before KQ becomes a full member of ST.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by RobertS975
Kenya AW associate membership was announced in June 2005 along with other carriers: Air Europa, COPA and Tarom. Still nothing finalized, but why should that surprise anyone. China Southern was announced in 2004, and they are still not in ST yet!
Source, please? Can you please explain something to me about KQ will ever join the SkyTeam anytime soon?
Old Oct 24, 2006, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Source, please? Can you please explain something to me about KQ will ever join the SkyTeam anytime soon?

Do a search of FlyerTalk, do a search of news at Skyteam's website... it is easy to find.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 10:15 pm

Programs: SU/DL/US/MR
Kenya Airways is now a part of the SkyTeam...I beleive it all becomes official on January 1st, when Kenya Air introduces non stop flights from JFK & MIA to Niarobi.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 5:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by jredknapp11
when Kenya Air introduces non stop flights from JFK & MIA to Niarobi.
That would be big news!!!

Source please ?
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by jredknapp11
Kenya Airways is now a part of the SkyTeam...I beleive it all becomes official on January 1st, when Kenya Air introduces non stop flights from JFK & MIA to Niarobi.
Searching the Kenya AW website, they do not seem to mention either the news about their SkyTeam membership or these trans-Atlantic routes. I also would like to know where you saw this news. Can you give us a link to the news?
Old Dec 10, 2006, 4:13 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
No clue when they will become skyteam

But right now you can get NW Worldperk miles and Fllying Blue miles due to existing relationships with KQ
Old Dec 11, 2006, 6:00 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, Dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
No clue when they will become skyteam

But right now you can get NW Worldperk miles and Fllying Blue miles due to existing relationships with KQ
Whilst one can get WorldPerk miles flying KQ, one does not get EQM whilst flying them. And that is preventing me from considering KQ on a trip to South Africa next year. As seen on nwa.com.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 9:11 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Originally Posted by InIndiana
Whilst one can get WorldPerk miles flying KQ, one does not get EQM whilst flying them.
With Flying Blue, you get both award and level miles on KQ. But then again, KQ is partly owned by KL and uses Flying Blue as its own FFP
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:58 am
Original Poster

I just wrapped up a trip with two domestic and one international segment on KQ. The SkyTeam logo, in conjunction with FB, is present all over the checkin counters at NBO. However, the ticketing agents in the Premier World / Elite line had no idea when KQ would become a full SkyTeam partner, and didn't seem to be aware of the issue.

Nevertheless, KQ's system recognized my Delta number as having SkyTeam elite status, and I was given a complimentary upgrade at checkin for a flight from Nairobi to Lagos. ^ Unexpected blessings!

KQ's Premier World product is very good--truly flat seats, simple but satisfying food. The only downside was that there was no IFE (not even audio) on the 4 hour flight to Lagos on a 767.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.