Air France/KLM thinking of replacing NWA through DL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2006, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, TK*G, Hertz PC, AVIS PC, Sixt Plat.

Out of the German newspaper Die Welt as of June 8th 2006:

Air France/KLM is planning in trumping the Star Alliance with their own Sky Team. They are going to include China Southern Airlines (CSA) latest by October 2007 and they introduce a Amsterdam-Chengdu/China flight. At Chengdu there is a variety of connections including the Sichuan Airlines (49% chain of CSA).
In 2007 the contract between NWA and AF/KLM is currently terminating. And with the latest sucess and power of AF/KLM they have a perfect position. DL is the possible choice, though the partnership went well. But AF and KL developed a stronger position in the US-market and they want to have all options.
AF/KL flew in 936 Million € in the year 2005/2006. That is a growth of 69% with a 10,2% plus in turnover. Together, they have over 100k employees, 579 a/c and serve 250 destinations.

Are these good news?
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
The contract between KLM and NW may be moot with their inclusion in the ST alliance. Essentially, NW and KLM got real cozy before there were major alliances, very similar to the way that DL snuggled up with Swissair, Austrian and Sabena.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I think I remember reading elsewhere on the boards that the NWA-KLM contract expires in 2010, and that it can be terminated as early as 2007 (but with 3 years notice ... ie 2010).
Old Jun 11, 2006, 2:40 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by GBadger
I think I remember reading elsewhere on the boards that the NWA-KLM contract expires in 2010, and that it can be terminated as early as 2007 (but with 3 years notice ... ie 2010).
More info here.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:25 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by RobertS975
The contract between KLM and NW may be moot with their inclusion in the ST alliance. Essentially, NW and KLM got real cozy before there were major alliances, very similar to the way that DL snuggled up with Swissair, Austrian and Sabena.
aaah yes, & then DL decided to Dump SR & it's associates to get in bed w/AF. ....which is what ended up causing SR to fold (maysherestinpeace).
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by joshua3
aaah yes, & then DL decided to Dump SR & it's associates to get in bed w/AF. ....which is what ended up causing SR to fold (maysherestinpeace).
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I always was under the impression hat it was Swissair that couldn't live with DL's relationship with AF.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct, DL invited SR to be a part of it, SR got all proud and aid that they and SN didn't need DL/AF. Which of course was really hilarious as not only did they fold, but were begging like a bunch of idiots 2-3 years later when LX was dying to get into any alliance and ST told them to bugger off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.