Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newark or Atlanta?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
If you are smokers, go with ATL. You can light up (in special areas) on airside of security.

If you are not smokers, go with EWR. ATL is a pain for the simple reason that everybody has to go through Security, even those who are not making a connecting flight. This can mean a long wait, without any Elite line, after you get through Customs.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Originally Posted by Dovster
If you are smokers, go with ATL. You can light up (in special areas) on airside of security.

If you are not smokers, go with EWR. ATL is a pain for the simple reason that everybody has to go through Security, even those who are not making a connecting flight. This can mean a long wait, without any Elite line, after you get through Customs.
Just to let you know Dove,

ATL has reorganized the security after customs with more x-ray/metal detectors. Still no Elite lines, but I have not had to wait more than 3 minutes since the change.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA G, DL SM
Originally Posted by JoelA
duckhook503

If it is the bump or voucher that is a major factor in your deciding, it may be better to try Atlanta. I live in Orlando and frequent both EWR and ATL. During the spring/summer there are far more flights from ATL -> MCO than EWR ->MCO. While overbooks occur in both airports, you'll likely have a wider selection and less additional delay coming out of Atlanta than Newark due to more flights.

As others have pointed out, ATL has the massive downside of weather related delays.

Just pack your patience if you're playing the bump game into MCO.

Best,

Joel
I second Joel's sentiment, if your primary criterion is whether or not you get bumped. I transit both EWR and ATL with some frequency, and as most of these comments have indicated, it's six of one, one-half of the other. If you want the widebody aircraft, go through ATL; if you want the "better" airline, you should pick CO and EWR (though DL enthusiasts may disagree); if you want ease of clearing immigration, it's probably a real toss-up. Personally, I prefer EWR over ATL on this point, as CO's Ireland flights are usually among the earliest of CO's European arrivals on any given day. By contrast, at ATL, you'll be arriving in the middle of the afternoon arrivals from Europe and from Tokyo. You also should be aware that DL has significantly increased its flights between ATL and Europe this summer (6 new destinations and the return of a seasonal flight to BCN); it remains to be seen how the new flights will affect ATL customs & immigration facilities (though I'm sure the airport has prepared for the increase).
Old Apr 5, 2006, 6:24 am
PJK

Programs: KL/AF FB Plat, Hilton Silver, La Quinta Gold
-----

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.