Wiki Posts
Search

SkyTeam "benefits". Fact or Fiction

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2001, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
SkyTeam "benefits". Fact or Fiction

Have you ever actually looked at the list of "benefits" you get from the SkyTeam alliance?

#1 -- Earn miles toward elite status on your preferred SkyTeam airline and redeem on any member airline

We already had this when DL was with SwissAir and Sabena. What's the benefit?

#2 -- Have complimentary access to most of our 265 member lounges worldwide

The fine print says "Complimentary access to member airline lounges when you are an International First, Business Class or SkyTeam Elite Plus frequent flyer on same day of travel". How many lounges do we now have access to that we didn't have before?

Also, it's worth noting that with both OneWorld and Star Alliance, all SECOND tier fliers (50,000 miles/year) get to use the lounges, while on SkyTeam, only top tier have access.

#3 -- Obtain a guaranteed reservation if you are a SkyTeam Elite Plus member even if your flight is sold-out

This actually might qualify as a benefit. I'd love to see some numbers on how often it gets used.

#4 -- Enjoy a choice of 6,402 flights to 451 destinations worldwide

What does this mean? I couldn't fly these airlines before the alliance existed? If I ignore the alliance and just fly the best route on any given day, I've got a choice of far more flights and destinations...

#5 -- Receive more fare options to more destinations

I don't get this one either.

#6 -- Connect through our extensive worldwide hub network

More chances to CONNECT? Just what I've always wanted. More time in airports.

#7 -- Get standardized SkyTeam procedures for your convenience

As evidenced by other posts on this board, this simply doesn't work. AF agents won't recognise SkyTeam passengers. DL ticket agents at SMS don't know about intra-Europe flights. They still advise passengers to show up at CDG 90+ minutes before departure for intra-Europe flights, despite the fact that CDG check-in for these flights is never open more than 60 minutes ahead of the flight, and sometimes not until 30-40 minutes before the flight.

#8 -- Ease your SkyTeam connecting flights with single check-in

I flew JFK->ZRH->CDG->AMS->JFK a few months ago, and the DL agent in JFK couldn't check me in for the ZRH->CDG on AF. Similarly, the AF agent in CDG couldn't check me in for my AMS->JFK leg on DL.

#9 -- Make travel arrangements and get information at any of SkyTeam's 659 ticket offices worldwide

This one is understating the truth. I can get the same information and make arrangements at ANY airlines ticket offices or any travel agent.

#10 -- Experience in-flight service built around your needs

I'm not even going to comment on this one.

So, of the 10 benefits, how many are really benefits from the alliance? I'd say the guaranteed full-fare coach seat. But that's about it...
Old Jan 12, 2001, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
2 Many Miles, you should post this issue as a question on the DL chat on 1/18. Let's get their biased reaction to cold hard facts. This isn't an alliance worth investing any miles in.
Old Jan 12, 2001, 10:40 am
Original Member

Plus AF Frequnce Plus top-tier members receive top-tier Sky Team Elite Plus status. Non-French residents can qualify for this status with 40K miles. DL Gold Medallions receive Sky Team Elite status and fly more ...

Not that it means anything - see the other thread and you'll see that AF does not honor too many of those Sky Team benefits. It's a far cry from oneworld and Star who have trained all their employees to recognise Star Gold, oneworld Emerald etc. and their respective perks. However, I'm sure DL does honor AF Sky Team Elites et al and I would bet that AM and KE would probaly treat DL Elites better than AF.
Old Jan 12, 2001, 10:50 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I tried to book award travel to Budapest on Delta. It cannot be done even though AF flies to BUD, it is not part of the partnership. I had to book an AF award and fly AF metal.
I booked an award to Italy for this year. 1 of the segments will be on AF, 1st class is not available. I asked to get put on the wait list...it cannot be done, AF will not allow Delta awards to be put on wait lists.
An AF award must be ticketed within 2 weeks of booking, Delta will give a lot of leeway on there bookings.
There are many roadblocks in this "partnership"
Old Jan 12, 2001, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
I'm not going to be around for the chat on the 18th -- I'll be flying (on American, my current favorite airline) to Las Vegas for dinner with friends at one of my my favorite restaurants.

But anyone else who wants to use my analysis is welcome to plagerise.

Personally, I've basically given up on DL. When I get my new back of SWU's, I'll have 12 -- 6 old and 6 new. They are the only reason I'll fly DL this year. But my AA SWU's are worth far more -- no capacity controls and valid from any published fare.
Old Jan 12, 2001, 1:01 pm
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
Originally posted by 2 Many Miles:
Have you ever actually looked at the list of "benefits" you get from the SkyTeam alliance?

The fine print says "Complimentary access to member airline lounges when you are an International First, Business Class or SkyTeam Elite Plus frequent flyer on same day of travel". How many lounges do we now have access to that we didn't have before?

#3 -- Obtain a guaranteed reservation if you are a SkyTeam Elite Plus member even if your flight is sold-out

This actually might qualify as a benefit. I'd love to see some numbers on how often it gets used.

#6 -- Connect through our extensive worldwide hub network

As evidenced by other posts on this board, this simply doesn't work. AF agents won't recognise SkyTeam passengers. DL ticket agents at SMS don't know about intra-Europe flights. They still advise passengers to show up at CDG 90+ minutes before departure for intra-Europe flights, despite the fact that CDG check-in for these flights is never open more than 60 minutes ahead of the flight, and sometimes not until 30-40 minutes before the flight.
2. A joke, AF usually will not let me in their lounges, this is always the case in DUB and CDG - I just go in and tell them to call the police, I am not up for a fight with nasty rude agents at the entrance desk.

3. This is a nice feature and I used it a few months ago. It is a full Y and it really hurts (it seemed to be the most expensive Y I have ever had.) The reservation agent at DL told me there was no such feature, a second call and all was in hand. However, CO has this feature as well.

6. Hah!!!! I can not get to places I need to go in Europe that I used to when Sabena and Austrian were member.

In the end of the day, DL is the bottom of the pile as far as alliances go and with their new good business program I am glad to be gone.
Old Jan 12, 2001, 1:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Short answer......

Fiction.
Old Jan 12, 2001, 1:37 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Check out what you get as a paid member of United's Red Carpet Club:

Red Carpet Club

The Red Carpet Club is United's® network of airport lounges for frequent flyers—places to work or rest away from the busy atmosphere of the terminal.

Features and privileges

Reciprocal clubroom privileges are extended to Red Carpet Club members when traveling on our Star Alliance partners and our code-share partners:

Air Canada (Maple Leaf Club)
Air New Zealand (Koru Club within New Zealand and International Lounges outside of New Zealand; excludes the F/C Lounge in Auckland)
All Nippon Airways (Club ANA and Sky Lounges)
Ansett (Golden Wing Club)
Austrian Airlines (Lufthansa's Frequent Traveller and Business Lounges)
British Midland (Diamond Club)
Lauda Air (Lufthansa's Frequent Traveller and Business Lounges)
Lufthansa (Senator Lounges, excluding Hamburg and Stuttgart; Frequent Traveler Lounges; Business Lounges)
Mexicana (Executive Lounges)
SAS (Scandinavian and Business Lounge)
Singapore Airlines (Silver Kris - Raffles Class)
THAI (Royal Executive Lounge and Royal Orchid Lounges)
Tyrolean Airways (Lufthansa's Frequent Traveller and Business Lounges)
VARIG (First Class Lounges, excluding Buenos Aires, Rio De Janeiro, and Sao Paulo; Business Class Lounges)
British Midland (Diamond Club)

What do you get as a paid CRC member of Sk***am? Directions to Chili's. Or whatever the world-wide equivalent is. Alliance? What a #$%^ing joke. CO/NW allows members to buy a day pass to their partners' lounges. OneWorld's policy is the same as SK***am's. What a shame.

------------------
Time..... is on my side.
Old Jan 12, 2001, 2:12 pm

Another *A benefit for UA Premium Execs (equivalent to DL's GM) is that if you are traveling international on any *A partner, you have access to lounge belonging to the partner and UA's international and domestic Red Carpet Rooms upon presentation of a same day international tkt and your PremExec card. You need not be travelng in business or first class to gain access to these lounges!

Of course there are trade-offs: if you drink, United's domestic RCCs charge for alcoholic beverages.
Old Jan 12, 2001, 2:49 pm
SMS

Spiff
be carefull with that listing about RedCarpet Club Members getting access to *A Lounges.
The listing on the web is not correct, for example SAS Scandinavian is not allowed, LH Senator is not allowed and so on.
You usualy get access to the business class lounge of the *A line you fly with.

---
SMS
Old Jan 12, 2001, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been told by AF taht there is no way to get a confirmed seat on a sold out flight even if I bought a full Y and that Skyteam didn't make any difference!
Old Jan 12, 2001, 3:25 pm

What idiots. Your full Y fare is going to be worth a boatload more than whatever denied boarding compensation they might have to pay someone, especially since international denied boarding compensation is often a pittance compared to domestic.

------------------
Time..... is on my side.
Old Jan 12, 2001, 4:13 pm
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
Originally posted by hfly:
I have been told by AF taht there is no way to get a confirmed seat on a sold out flight even if I bought a full Y and that Skyteam didn't make any difference!
Did someone forget to tell you that AF only belongs to Sky Team on odd days of the month within odd months within odd years in odd centuries and the sun must be shining? I too have had the same problem. However, make enought calls to DL, call the executive offices in ATL and eventually you will be put in touch with someone at AF who will get you on the flight. However (again, another however) this does not mean you will have a seat when you get there. Thank goodness that trip was cancelled before I left, the flight wound up being cancelled at CDG due to a work stoppage.
Old Jan 13, 2001, 9:22 am

Let's examine the "Standardized SkyTeam Procedures:

SkyMiles Member: "Hello, I'd like...."

AF: "No."

SMM: "But I'm elite on Delta so..."

SMM: "I thought we were one big happy..."

So you see, there really ARE "Standard SkyTeam Procedures" in place.

#7 -- Get standardized SkyTeam procedures for your convenience

------------------
"Sire, it is not a revolt. It is a Revolution!"
Old Jan 13, 2001, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Uncle Leo: "No"
Vicki Escarra: "No"
Patrice Miles: "No"
Kevin Pinto: We reply to "NO" on a one to one basis.

"Simply Good Business"
http://www.saveskymiles.com/
1,554,156,321 Total SkyMiles Represented
326 SkyMiles members
893 Silver Medallion members
1,159 Gold Medallion members
376 Platinum Medallion members
2,754 Total
564,327 Avg. Miles per member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.