KE or NW from LAX to NRT in Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2005, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold, BW Gold

I'm flying LAX to NRT as part of a RTW itinerary in Business Class. Can anyone advise on the choice between KE or NW for this sector? I have already flown this route on KE, but know nothing about NW's World Business Class either on this route or any other. Thanks.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 5:13 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
For NW, that route has just been upgraded to the newly refurbished 747-400, which has new seats and entertainment system. If you take a look over in the NW forum you will see a bunch of comments about these new seats. It looks mixed, either love em or hate em, main criticism is people say they are flat but at an angle and you slide down. I actually liked the old foam cradle seats, but these are fine.
I am guessing you'll get better service in KE, but cannot say since I have not flown KE. NW is nothing to write home about service wise, it varies from polite to FA's who dont seem to enjoy their jobs. I like the NW 747-400's most out of their fleet.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold, BW Gold
Originally Posted by stephem
For NW, that route has just been upgraded to the newly refurbished 747-400, which has new seats and entertainment system. If you take a look over in the NW forum you will see a bunch of comments about these new seats. It looks mixed, either love em or hate em, main criticism is people say they are flat but at an angle and you slide down. I actually liked the old foam cradle seats, but these are fine.
I am guessing you'll get better service in KE, but cannot say since I have not flown KE. NW is nothing to write home about service wise, it varies from polite to FA's who dont seem to enjoy their jobs. I like the NW 747-400's most out of their fleet.
Thanks for the reply. I wondered whether the LAX-NRT flight had the new seats. Lots of people complain about the slide-down effect of this type of so-called lie-flat seats (they're being installed on AF, LH and lots of other companies), but it's a day-time flight (though a long one) and while it's nice to doze for an hour or two, it's not as though I'd need to sleep. The KE C seat is really nothing special, which is why I asked. On the other hand their food and service are excellent.

Well the trip won't need to be booked until the end of next month, so I've got time to think about it (or be persuaded by other FTers).
Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:09 am

Programs: DL DM MM, KLM Gold, HHilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz President's circle
I would recommend NW

I know that KE is updating some of their interiors, but I really love the NW WBC product. The couple of times I have flown KE, I have had great service, but the seats and entertainment leave a lot to be desired. While the AVOD and NW's new seat offer hours of fun and entertainment. Plus if you are interested in sleeping there is nothing that says you have to use the seat in the fully-flat position. There is a button on the NW seat that sets the seat in a predetermined position much like the old cradle seats. So my vote goes for NW.

Enjoy the flight and let us know which you end up going with.

NGO-NWA
Old Oct 21, 2005, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by NGO-NWA
I know that KE is updating some of their interiors, but I really love the NW WBC product. The couple of times I have flown KE, I have had great service, but the seats and entertainment leave a lot to be desired. While the AVOD and NW's new seat offer hours of fun and entertainment. Plus if you are interested in sleeping there is nothing that says you have to use the seat in the fully-flat position. There is a button on the NW seat that sets the seat in a predetermined position much like the old cradle seats. So my vote goes for NW.

Enjoy the flight and let us know which you end up going with.

NGO-NWA
Can't agree more with this assessment. KE's business seats and IFE are poor and inferior to business class offerings on even U.S. carriers in my view. Yes, the service is impeccable, but how much interaction do you have with FAs on an 11-hr. flight? IIRC, KE no longer gives amenity kits in business.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 2:48 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I just took another flight on the new NW product (SEA-AMS on A330) and have to say I am now more inclined to recommend you go with that. I really like the electronic controls and I didnt feel like I was sliding down the seat much if at all. I consciously thought about this and tried to compare the comfort of the new seat to the older cradle style seats. I like the newer ones more, much more. I think some people may not like the new seats due to body configuration. I'm tallish (6feet) but not wide. I think if you are wider or taller you might feel differently about the new seats. The AVOD is also very nice and has a good selection to keep you entertained.

Service on the NW SEA-AMS flight was actually good this time around.

On my return (AMS-JFK) I was on an older KLM 747M which did not have electric seats or on demand AVOD. Never again. I'll take electric seats and on demand video even if I have to take a longer flight next time.

By the way, the NW 747-400 is in my opinion is a great plane to fly on in business class. I lover the upper deck experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.