Search

Which airline to Cancun?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2005, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Which airline to Cancun?

I would like to use some DL miles for a couple of business or first roundtrips to CUN.

Which skyteam airline offers the best F/C service to CUN? From what I can tell, DL's offerings from the west coast are pretty limited, and the connections are pretty poor (at least into CUN).
Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:08 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I would like to use some DL miles for a couple of business or first roundtrips to CUN.

Which skyteam airline offers the best F/C service to CUN? From what I can tell, DL's offerings from the west coast are pretty limited, and the connections are pretty poor (at least into CUN).
I would assume your best option would be to use Aeromexico.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:11 am

Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
I would agree that AM would probably be best.

I can speak from experience of DL's 763 F service from ATL to CUN. It's alright, but there is no meal and the flight is about 2.5 hrs. On AM you'll get a meal in F and probably a much better meal than DL offers on their transcons. Service, however, is always great on DL and they keep the drinks flowing all the way to CUN!

Last edited by N808DE; Jul 7, 2005 at 4:03 pm
Old Jul 9, 2005, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat MM, UA MM 1K, MR Titanium Lifetime
Thumbs up AeroMexico

I went to Cancun in April on DL/AM :

BOS - CVG Delta
CVG - CUN AeroMexico

It was a morning flight in Economy in AM and let me tell you the inflight service (food) is better than what you can get in Delta FC. Even enjoyed a movie (Spanglish), on a TV monitor that is actually sharp and focused. The 737 was clean and new. Service was also attentive and efficient.

Have fun.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by bl4666
I went to Cancun in April on DL/AM :

BOS - CVG Delta
CVG - CUN AeroMexico
You sure about AM about that? AeroMexico only serves CVG via their codeshare, and the daily flight on CVG-CUN is a DL 738.

@Boraxo:
If you were willing to forego FC on your trip to CUN, SLC might also be a connection opportunity. Fly SFO-SLC onboard an ASA CR7, and connect to the 738 to CUN. Ways are short in SLC, and except in the late afternoon it is also usually not that full.
If you choose to go FC via ATL, be prepared to fly a red-eye. And depending on the day, you have 5 flight options on ATL-CUN, 3x DL and 2x AM.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

All of the DL routings provided at delta.com seem to involve 2+ connections. Quite ridiculous given the # of DL nonstops to CUN, not to mention the AM offerings.

From what I can tell, the most convenient connections from LAX run through IAH (on CO) or MEX (on AM). But I guess I will have to telephone to get a decent routing.

Thanks for all the advice. I forgot about AM - which is probably a better option than CO since nonepass seats are rarely available at saver levels.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 5:40 am

All of the DL routings provided at delta.com seem to involve 2+ connections. Quite ridiculous given the # of DL nonstops to CUN, not to mention the AM offerings.
Could it be because of the departure time chosen? Because I get lots of one-stop flights, be it via MEX(AM-only), SLC, or ATL.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD

From what I can tell, the most convenient connections from LAX run through IAH (on CO) or MEX (on AM). But I guess I will have to telephone to get a decent routing.

Thanks for all the advice. I forgot about AM - which is probably a better option than CO since nonepass seats are rarely available at saver levels.
I've flown on number of award tickets, both F and Y, on CO all over Mexico and Central America in the past several years and never had a problem getting seats. And sometimes at a late date. At most, I've had to adjust my travel either way by a day or two. But then, I think that's what skysaver awards are all about.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I decided to buy tix on AA as there is currently a fare sale from SFO-CUN ($196+ RT).

But thanks for all the advice. If anyone has specific advice on CUN hotels please PM me or post in the appropriate hotel forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.