Malév to join OW after all

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2005, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody

Title says it all. They signed a MOU
http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news05/245-oneworld.shtml
Old May 26, 2005, 10:37 am

Guess the offer of 'associate membership' wasn't enough to get them in. I really wonder what OW can offer MA, unless there is some deal to finally privatize them with capital from an OW member airline. All in all, a dissapointing turn of events, I'm not looking forwards to only flying via Heathrow to get to BUD in the future. But at least they wern't gobbled up by Austrian and Star, leaving at least some competition standing in the Central Europe market.
Old May 26, 2005, 11:54 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by magyarflieger
All in all, a dissapointing turn of events, I'm not looking forwards to only flying via Heathrow to get to BUD in the future.
Oneworld also flies to BUD from HEL (AY) and MAD (IB) and maybe DUB (EI) though their schedule seems to be in flux. I would expect that part of the deal is for AA to fly ORD-BUD and maybe DFW-BUD, replacing their ZRH mini-hub and LX partnership with a BUD hub. Of course Ferihegy requires some upgrading to be a viable hub airport, but it could work out well. An interesting sidelight to joining Oneworld is that MA has been trying to become a Boeing maintenance center and specializes in some of the airplane types in BA's fleet, maybe outsourcing of maintenance is part of the deal.
Old May 27, 2005, 6:26 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Crown Room Club Member, United Mileage Plus, HiltonHonors
I wonder if this means the end of DL code sharing flights with Malev. Maybe DL will finally start its own international service to the gorgeous city of Budapest.
Old May 27, 2005, 11:26 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by jmscsc
I wonder if this means the end of DL code sharing flights with Malev. Maybe DL will finally start its own international service to the gorgeous city of Budapest.
You mean restart service ... DL flew JFK-BUD-VIE-JFK (in alternating directions) for several years using its own metal before abandoning the route. I presume it wasn't profitable. Maybe things have changed now, but somehow I suspect DL isn't keen to get back to serving BUD -- particularly as OK has frequent service via PRG, and I doubt DL has any spare planes for long-haul routes.
Old May 27, 2005, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To me it looks more like a way of making some noise about the imminent privatisation than anything else. You can bet that the new buyer will do whatever suits their long-term plans, which could be anything from finally joining OW to going back to associate ST membership to just dropping the alliance game and trying to market themselves as an intercontinental LCC (especially considering their cooperation with Hainan).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.