Search

Skyteam 747s USA to Wherever Routes?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2005, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Plat Prem, Hertz Pres Circle
Skyteam 747s USA to Wherever Routes?

All,

I was looking to book some travel and was curious if anyone knew of routes that the airlines belonging to the Skyteam fly a 747? I know that AF and NW have some, does anyone know what routes from the US that they fly them? Anyother Skyteam airlines use them on a US route?

I found some hit and miss info by looking at timetables, but could not do a search here currently, so I thought that I would ask the experts. Thanks. MC
Old Mar 7, 2005, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by emcee
All,

I was looking to book some travel and was curious if anyone knew of routes that the airlines belonging to the Skyteam fly a 747? I know that AF and NW have some, does anyone know what routes from the US that they fly them? Anyother Skyteam airlines use them on a US route?

I found some hit and miss info by looking at timetables, but could not do a search here currently, so I thought that I would ask the experts. Thanks. MC
Korean Air - both 747 and 777 between US and Seoul. Korean flies to Atlanta, Chicago, LA, and others I don't remember.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
All,

I believe NW uses the 747 on a JFK-NRT flight that is also a Delta codeshare.

However, I don't believe that any member of Skyteam currently uses a 747 on a domestic route.

A.J.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Bulldog King
I believe NW uses the 747 on a JFK-NRT flight that is also a Delta codeshare.

However, I don't believe that any member of Skyteam currently uses a 747 on a domestic route.

A.J.
I don't think I've ever heard of a 747 being used on a domestic route. When I was much younger (before I first flew on one) I always wanted to fly on one (domestically) but i never saw it happen.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Aircfo
I don't think I've ever heard of a 747 being used on a domestic route. When I was much younger (before I first flew on one) I always wanted to fly on one (domestically) but i never saw it happen.
It's not skyteam, but for a while United flew a 747 from DEN to SFO and off to somewhere overseas.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA
NW has some 747-200 configured as "beach market" - presumably for HNL flights. I don't know if they actually fly them to HNL, though.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 7:13 pm

United flys them between hubs now. I flew one from ORD-SFO not that long ago on a paid F ticket that booked into biz on the three cabin flight. I then upgraded to F -- nedless to say it was the best mid-con I have ever been on.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Plat Prem, Hertz Pres Circle
Sorry for not being clear about this, I did not think that that were any 747s being used on domestic flights. I was strictly asking if anyone knew what routes Skyteam airlines were using 747s on that originated in the US.

Thanks. MC
Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:11 pm

Sorry for not being clear about this, I did not think that that were any 747s being used on domestic flights. I was strictly asking if anyone knew what routes Skyteam airlines were using 747s on that originated in the US.

Thanks. MC
AF fly a 747 out of LAX to CDG. At one point pre 9/11 they actually flew a 747 from CVG to CDG!
Old Mar 7, 2005, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
We just flew VS (Virgin Atlantic) on a 747 on Delta miles.
We flew out of Miami to LHR. I know they also fly out of NYC (JFK), SFO and MCO. Be careful though, some flights are on an Airbus

Just a side note: many years ago in the 80s, my first flight on a 747 was from Minneapolis to Chicago on NW. All of an hour. I am sure that it was part of a longer haul.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 9:41 pm

NW uses 744s between HNL and NRT equipped with the new WBC. Purchased a one-way upgrade to WBC for $400 at check-in on a $700 bulk fare.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
We just flew VS (Virgin Atlantic) on a 747 on Delta miles.
We flew out of Miami to LHR. I know they also fly out of NYC (JFK), SFO and MCO. Be careful though, some flights are on an Airbus

Just a side note: many years ago in the 80s, my first flight on a 747 was from Minneapolis to Chicago on NW. All of an hour. I am sure that it was part of a longer haul.
Not quite on the subject, but how difficult was it getting your VS seats using Delta miles? I've been told VS is pretty stingy when using Delta. How far in advance did you book and were you in upper class? Thanks for sharing any hints on getting this booking.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Calliegirl
Not quite on the subject, but how difficult was it getting your VS seats using Delta miles? I've been told VS is pretty stingy when using Delta. How far in advance did you book and were you in upper class? Thanks for sharing any hints on getting this booking.
not trying to get too off topic, but to answer this question, i don't believe it is too hard to obtain. Last summer my parents and I flew on VS upper out of MCO and the mile tickets wern't a problem- 2-3 months out. The flights were from MCO-LGW-MCO on 744 which had not been updated yet. FAs noted that because of the large pax loads, the MCO toute would be the last to get the new suites (upstairs on 2 of the 3 MCO flights to gatwick are premium economy) It was a good experience even though there was no suites, massages, etc. The complimentary limo to and from the airport on both ends as well as the drive through check-in at LGW (also available at heathrow) were great benefits.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 10:19 pm

Aircfo,

That's encouraging, but I didn't think a Delta award seat would allow use of the limo. Hope I'm wrong!
Old Mar 7, 2005, 11:49 pm

There were detailed threads in the NW and KL forums recently listing all the places where Skyteam 747's go. Hard to find without search, though.

NW used to fly 742 "beach" configs from the mainland to HNL, but no longer. I think LAX-NRT is the only route consistently getting 742's right now (non-beach). NW 744's are on most other routes between the US and Asia (HNL/DTW/MSP/JFK/etc.), except for a few routes like PDX-NRT which are served by the 332, and of course 742-served LAX-NRT. NW does not fly any 747's across the Atlantic.

KL often flies 747's from JFK/ORD/IAH to AMS. Maybe SFO, too. Pay attention to the schedule, though, because KL uses other equipment on these routes, too.

I think AF and KE are the only other Skyteam carriers with double-deckers in their fleets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.