Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Potential new traveller

Potential new traveller

Old Jan 23, 2005, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alect
So the major benefits of DL membership is lounge membership and elite bonus and SWUs?
And upgrades within northamerica.

If I was F+ rouge and teavelling within US on DL/CO/NW could i not gain access to a lounge based on being a Skyteam elite?
Not unless on connecting flights to international gateways.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I was F+ rouge and teavelling within US on DL/CO/NW could i not gain access to a lounge based on being a Skyteam elite?
No. You need a same-day international flight for lounge access. AFAIK, the only ST airline FFP that will grant you access to lounges on domestic US flights is KL, and that is only for NW worldclubs. This is likely to disappear when F+ and FD merge.

With your flight pattern, it might be in your interest in any event to go for FD rather than F+, as the elite bonus is much better (50,100 and 125% for Silver, Gold and Plat respectively) and the (elite-qualifying) CoS bonus is 100% for C.. If you can't get a comp, one LAX-FCO return in C would get you to SE; two to GE and three to PE.
In any event, you will end up in the merged FD/AF program whenever this happens.

I am a bit puzzled, though, as to why you don't stick to OW for this if you fly mostly in premium classes. BA is bound to be more comfortable in J than AF and timings are more or less the same. Culturally, you are also likely to find service on BA more familiar than on AF.
Moreover, on LAX-FCO, AA would probably have the best timings.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by NickB

I am a bit puzzled, though, as to why you don't stick to OW for this if you fly mostly in premium classes. BA is bound to be more comfortable in J than AF and timings are more or less the same. Culturally, you are also likely to find service on BA more familiar than on AF.
Moreover, on LAX-FCO, AA would probably have the best timings.
Nothing would please me more than BA J. But two things stand in the way of that. Firslty, BA is one of the most expensive J LAX-FCO. AA is the corp airline and we get a pretty good F/J set fare LAX-LHR. But AA J is not my cup of tea - hence a possible preference for LX J or LH J. Secondly, corp policy is to go with the lowest fare at the time of booking - and often that is non-OW.

Ideally I would take AA F LAX-LHR and connect to FCO on BA (or AZ - don't really care as the sector is too short to worry). Will have to see how that goes down (and prices) at the time of booking.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 2:02 am
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by slawecki

Non-FRENCH Frequency Plus Red members earn 100% bonus, according to AF F+ monitor.

Certainly not noted on what is called the AF website.
Well, finally got a reply from Frequence Plus in Thailand and it does not agree with what said above...

here is the reply.

-------------------------------
The rule is:

a 100% special bonus on all Air France and Skyteam flights for Frequence
Plus RED cards resident in North or Central America.

a 50% special "Club Bonus" on all Air France and Skyteam flights for other
Frequence Plus BLUE and RED cards.

-------------------------------------

I definitely would not understand why there is a difference on mileage bonus earend as Elite members depending on where you reside. If other SkyTeam partners treat all members the same regarding mileage bonus, it does not make much sense, does it?, for AF to give North/Central American members 100% while others 50%.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kiam

I definitely would not understand why there is a difference on mileage bonus earend as Elite members depending on where you reside. If other SkyTeam partners treat all members the same regarding mileage bonus, it does not make much sense, does it?, for AF to give North/Central American members 100% while others 50%.
First, that conformation is great. Wonder why it is not on the AF USA site?

The industry is full of absurdities and inconsistiencies.

US base cannot join KL FF

LH sen is 130k miles for German citizens 100k for everyone else.

RTW ticket price differences are 250%, depending upon country of purchase.

Fly UA in C IAD-Europe for 5-6k with a UA ticket, or buy a US codeshare ticket for 2K.

Fly IAD-SVO(MOW) in C for 6k, or buy a CO codeshare that flys VS and ST(is that Aeroflot?) for 2k, never touches CO.

Fly IAD-LHR in C for 5k on CO codeshare on VS, or buy IAD-LHR-SVO in C for 2K.

I think many other European based airlines have requirements that are prejiduced against them.

An AMEX Centurion costs between $1000, and 2500 last time I looked, depending upon country of address.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slawecki
The industry is full of absurdities and inconsistiencies.
US base cannot join KL FF
This is because of the degree of integration between NW and KL. Goes in hand with the fact that there is no KL representation in the US. KL are entirely handled by NW there.

LH sen is 130k miles for German citizens 100k for everyone else.
Residents of the home country are a semi-captive audience for European airlines. YOu do not need to have as much incentives for them to fly you and they will accumulte points more easily anyway.

RTW ticket price differences are 250%, depending upon country of purchase.
And so are cars, watches, fridges, etc... this is called the law of supply and demand.

Fly UA in C IAD-Europe for 5-6k with a UA ticket, or buy a US codeshare ticket for 2K.
Yep. You can buy the very same tin of chopped tomato more cheaply at a supermarket than at your local Italian deli.

An AMEX Centurion costs between $1000, and 2500 last time I looked, depending upon country of address.
Again: law of supply and demand.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.