Wiki Posts
Search

KE Business/First?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2004, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles/Aeroplan
KE Business/First?

I have three flights booked with Korean as part of a RTW trip. All three segments are in Business. All three flights are in 744s. When I called for seat assignments I was told that none of the flights offered First. I booked the same seat for all flights on the upper deck.

Yesterday, reading a post on FT, someone was mentioning that on the flight DFW-ICN Korean doens't offer F also but the plane has F seats on the lower front and Business passengers can book those seats.

Are you thinking what I am thinking? Can you help me? Do you know if any of my flights have F seats in front?

ICN-SYD
AKL-ICN
ICN-YYZ

I will appreciate any information.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 7:29 pm

Programs: AAPlat,QF,SQ,KE ,SPG,OZ
Business Plus

Originally Posted by danaraujo
I have three flights booked with Korean as part of a RTW trip. All three segments are in Business. All three flights are in 744s. When I called for seat assignments I was told that none of the flights offered First. I booked the same seat for all flights on the upper deck.

Yesterday, reading a post on FT, someone was mentioning that on the flight DFW-ICN Korean doens't offer F also but the plane has F seats on the lower front and Business passengers can book those seats.

Are you thinking what I am thinking? Can you help me? Do you know if any of my flights have F seats in front?

ICN-SYD
AKL-ICN
ICN-YYZ

I will appreciate any information.
On those flights KE offer a "new" product called Business Plus. For a little extra ( for example about $100US each way ICN-SYD) you can sit in the first class cabin, but the rest of the service- both on the ground and in the air is the same as business class- meal, lounge access, luggage allowance etc. It is ticketed as J, a normal business class ticket with KE is C. As you are travelling on a RTW ticket it is unlikely that you will be able to use the First cabin, with out a surcharge of some kind. BTW on the ICN-SYD route last time I used it, the first class cabin on the 747 didn't have PTV for IFE- not good enough for a 10 hour flight! Also, the aircraft are ALWAYS too hot for sleeping, though only for the westerners on board. The Koreans have no trouble getting to sleep.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 7:15 am
Original Poster

I already have the final answer. I've just called KE and the service representative told me that with award tickets I cannot pay to upgrade to Business +. I will resign myself to long hours on the regular C seats. I hope they aren't as bad as some members of this forum have stated.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 12:23 pm

I already have the final answer. I've just called KE and the service representative told me that with award tickets I cannot pay to upgrade to Business +. I will resign myself to long hours on the regular C seats. I hope they aren't as bad as some members of this forum have stated.
Ask at airport check-in. Friends recently flew HNL-ICN on a C award ticket and were offered the upgrade for $200 per person one-way. The C seats aren't terrible, they're just not on par with what is typically offered on top international as well as U.S. carriers. BTW, seating downstairs is 2-3-2 so try for an assigned seat upstairs, if possible.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

My situation isn't that bad. I have 20J for all three flights. It's a window emergency exit with around 100" pitch. It's the seat recline that looks almost upright.
Old Dec 31, 2004, 6:16 pm

My situation isn't that bad. I have 20J for all three flights. It's a window emergency exit with around 100" pitch. It's the seat recline that looks almost upright.
That's a great seat.
The one next to you is often assign as a CREW seat... even better!

MissBumpMe! and I asked to be seated in the BusinessPlus cabin on ICN-BKK and got it. We'd also asked for ICN-SYD and SYDICN... much to no avail! One out of three isn't bad.

MissBumpMe! loved sitting in row 1. She alsoenjoyed how the leg rest rose to become parallel with the floor. She slept a full 4 hours on the flight-- better rest than the SYD-ICN we'd just completed.

I suggest writing down the seat(s) you want (i.e. 1J) on you ticket jacket and handing it to an agent... you never know & there's nothing to lose.

Good Luck!
Old Jan 1, 2005, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Hi BumpMe!

As you've travelled KE Business, let me ask you something. Is 20 J really a window seat? Take a look at the Korean website. In the fleet section, 747 upper cabin, the first four rows from the front to back show H as aisle and J as window. Then there is the space for the e. exit followed by 4 rows. For these 4 rows, J is aisle and H is window.

When I had my seats booked I asked the KE rep. and she told me that J is window, regardless of what the seat map shows. Are you able to confirm it? I want that seat. My flights are very long and I was the first passenger to book seats for each one of the flights; I think I deserve a good seat.

By the way, I will fly ICN-SYD, AKL-ICN AND ICN-YYZ.

Best regards and thanks for the reply.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 5:11 am

Programs: DELTA
Question Op Up's?

Bula!

I am a Skyteam Elite member (I have Gold Elite status on Northwest Worldperks). I am flying this coming weekend SEA-ICN-NAN on Korean Air to visit my brother-in-law Johnny in Suva, Fiji. Is there any chance of getting an OP-UP on Korean Air? In NW WP terms, and OP-UP is an Operational Upgrade to Buiness Class when coach is oversold and the airline in question needs to open space in coach and moves Elite members into Business Class for free, on an Elite order basis.

Venaka,

-Alan
Old Aug 30, 2005, 11:44 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Originally Posted by Poopdeck90210
Bula!

I am a Skyteam Elite member (I have Gold Elite status on Northwest Worldperks). I am flying this coming weekend SEA-ICN-NAN on Korean Air to visit my brother-in-law Johnny in Suva, Fiji. Is there any chance of getting an OP-UP on Korean Air? In NW WP terms, and OP-UP is an Operational Upgrade to Buiness Class when coach is oversold and the airline in question needs to open space in coach and moves Elite members into Business Class for free, on an Elite order basis.

Venaka,

-Alan
I'd say you have no chance at an op-up to Biz.

First there will be those willing to use $ or miles to upgrade, then they will go for an op-up

Generally an op-up will go to an Elite-Plus first (platinum) and I'm willing to bet there will be several on your flight. In case of a tie, the ticket price is usually the tie-breaker.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Is it true the 772 from Chicago to ICN has no power and no in seat video in Biz Class? Any BAD seats to avoid? (other than the center seats of course)
Old Aug 31, 2005, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Is it true the 772 from Chicago to ICN has no power and no in seat video in Biz Class? Any BAD seats to avoid? (other than the center seats of course)
If the plane has no in seat PTV, then they will offer you a personal DVD player and a selection of DVDs to watch.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by PMMMDL
If the plane has no in seat PTV, then they will offer you a personal DVD player and a selection of DVDs to watch.
Thanks, that is the first I have ever heard about that in Biz Class on KE. I thought you either got a newer plane with the PTV, or the standard big screen for the cabin deal. That helps a little bit.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Speaking of Korean Air - do they have any online checkin options?
Old Aug 31, 2005, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Speaking of Korean Air - do they have any online checkin options?
Perhaps for domestic, but I doubt for International, since passports/visas need to be checked anyway.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA, Delta, SPG, MAR
No online check in for either. BTW, the business class on 744 (JFK-ICN) was terrible. Almost as bad as domestic first class on CO or Delta. No power, limited entertainment and food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.