Wiki Posts
Search

Bali

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2004, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Platinum Elite, Million miler plus
Bali

I plan to go to Bali (DPS) in next 6 months and can't figure out how to get there and still get WP credits. Anybody got any suggestions? Of the NW partners, CO seems to get me there but with absurd itinerary that involves two overnight layovers (Houston and Guam). Maylasia Air from LAX requires doubling back from Kuala Lumpur. Garuda Indonesia does not seem to fly to US any longer. Anybody got any ideas? Departing from DSM.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 4:26 pm

Getting to Bali (and Jakarta)

I travel to Indonesia several times a year, and this is how I do it, though it is a bit of a twisty schedule, it gets me there finally, and at a reasonable cost....

I fly NW to Singapore: SEA-NRT-SIN

Then I spend the night in the airport, usually tucking into the airport hotel ($18 USD, book in advance, or get on waiting list for a room after 1-2 hours) for a nice nap for 6 hours), and catch a flight to Indonesia.

I almost always fly to Jakarta (CGK), but getting to Bali (DPS) is also possible.

SIN-CGK
For the Jakarta flight, I tend to take the KLM flight around 4pm, in order to get more miles (and last time an op-up to BC!), but there are many choices to Jakarta, and they are usually under $100 US (right now KLM is $76 USD return). Also with the KLM flight, I have been able to check the luggage all the way through, and they will get it to the flight for you -- just double check at the checkin desk in Singapore.

Also, AF flys into CGK too, I recall, so this flight will become an option once all of us are in the same alliance.

If I do go on the afternoon flight, I tend to go into Singapore for a nice lunch and a stroll before heading to the airport. The rapid transit is quite good.

SIN-DPS
For the Denpassar flight, the choices are Australian Airlines, Garuda and a few others. The price runs under $200 USD. You can get miles on the Garuda flight.

For booking this SIN-DPS/CGK flight, I go to zuji.com and often it is an e-ticket, so it all works fine.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 4:43 pm
RKG

When we flew to DPS, we flew SFO-NRT-SIN. Booked the transit hotel for 6 or 8 hours and then took Garuda Indonesia to DPS. The transit hotel is clean and very convenient. Have a great trip!
Old Sep 9, 2004, 4:54 pm

I'm leaving next week to Bali

and i'm taking continental airlines out of LAX. The routing is LAX-HNL-GUM-DPS.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by DESMOINESguy
CO seems to get me there but with absurd itinerary that involves two overnight layovers (Houston and Guam).
Try to tweak this a bit. You can probably make it work on CO with 1 overnight layover, and in HNL instead.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 6:38 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by channa
Try to tweak this a bit. You can probably make it work on CO with 1 overnight layover, and in HNL instead.
That's what I'm doing in November - EWR-IAH-HNL-GUM-DPS. Only spending 1 night in GUM on the way there, no stopovers on the way back. It's also possible to book via Tokyo (EWR-NRT-GUM-DPS). Good luck!
Old Sep 9, 2004, 6:41 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Bali Trip Report?

Originally Posted by gameboy
and i'm taking continental airlines out of LAX. The routing is LAX-HNL-GUM-DPS.
Gameboy - Not to derail this thread, but do you mind posting a trip report after you get back from Bali? There are a few of us (as you probably know) who are going to DPS soon, compliments of the cheap CO/CX fares. I'm going in Nov. for a week and would love to hear about your trip!
Old Sep 10, 2004, 10:21 am

Garuda will give you WP miles.

Except for flights to/from Europe and domestic flights that don't have any connections with international itinerary, GA will mostly give you WP miles.

From NWA.COM:

Garuda Indonesia

Earning/Redeeming Miles
All Garuda operated flights except those to/from Europe and redemption between Auckland and Brisbane. Domestic Indonesian flights require a connection to/from a Garuda operated international flight in order to be eligible for earning and redeeming.

Destinations
Garuda Indonesia serves destinations in Asia, Europe and Australia

GA also offers the most economical biz class fares for SIN-DPS or SIN-CGK-DPS. However, they only have 1 flight a day non-stop from SIN, the rest of them have to connect in Jakarta.

I usually book myself on GA. Their inflight service is good... food is great, IFE is outdated but FAs are fantastic. Call 800-3-GARUDA and they usually have a good airfares for travellers from the US. Otherwise, book your tickets when you get to Singapore. Just go to a local travel agency and they'll issue your tickets right on the spot. There is no need of advance reservation for economy class travel. For Business class travel, call the GA's 800 number here in the US for that special fares.

The last time I flew on them, I was the only pax in their biz class cabin with 3 FAs assigned to work the cabin.

SIN-DPS is usually on DC-10 or A-330. SIN-CGK are mostly on 737; however, the connection to DPS is either on DC-10/A-330/744 as those flights usually connect in DPS for Australia/Japan.

Give them a try... but keep in mind that they're not SQ or CX so don't expect the level of service to be at par with them. But for the money you spend, it's worth spending.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.