Wiki Posts
Search

Partner redemption and capacity controls

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Partner redemption and capacity controls

With NW joining Skyteam, I'm obviously eager to learn more about the advantages of the alliance. Especially since we tend to vacation in Ireland, and CO/DL (with long US domestic legs) are the only options we have right now for redemption.

Since our schedule is pretty tight, we typically just plan on spending the double miles and getting non-capacity controlled awards. I know, not good in the spirit of FT, but hey, at least I go out of my way to EARN the miles.

So my question is (and I know this could easily be different when NW actually joins) -- do "RuleBuster"/Double miles/non-capacity-controlled awards generally exist among partners in the alliance?

Thanks!

Steve
Old Jul 29, 2004, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every airline has its own scheme.
OK only has one redemption level. AF, as far as I understand, hasn't got too tight capacity controls, but wants more miles for flexible (as opposed to restricted) award tix. And it seems like there is a strange reason that forces DL flyers to book their award travels 331 days in advance!!!!
Old Jul 29, 2004, 12:55 am

Not familiar with other SkyTeam partners, but DL offers Skysaver awards (capacity controls) and Skychoice awards (standard, no capacity controls, if a seat is available in the requested cabin, it's yours). This year, DL is running a promo which allows PMs to redeem up to six tickets at one time only at Skysaver award mileage levels. So whether you utilize this option to book six business tickets for a family vacation to Europe or Asia, or a coach ticket for Mom between SLC and LAS, once it is used, it's used.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 7:20 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by graraps
Every airline has its own scheme.
OK only has one redemption level. AF, as far as I understand, hasn't got too tight capacity controls, but wants more miles for flexible (as opposed to restricted) award tix. And it seems like there is a strange reason that forces DL flyers to book their award travels 331 days in advance!!!!
I've had a very easy time getting Skysaver awards on AF J and FC this year, less than 30 days in advance. It felt like about every flight was available for J. FC I had to call back a few times to get the return, but then it was because I wanted a specific flight on a specific date (other 2 flights had FC avail). Not bad, considering FC only has 6 seats.

Last edited by DeltaFlyingProf; Jul 30, 2004 at 3:46 pm Reason: wrong word was used
Old Jul 29, 2004, 12:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
AFAIK, Rulebusters are only available to the members of each particular program. In other words, as a member of Frequence Plus I can get a double miles award ("redeem from the opti-miles schedule") only on AF flights and only using F+ miles. Delta is the same. SkyChoice rewards (the ones that cost twice as much but aren't capacity controlled) are only available on Delta flights and only using SkyMiles. So, unfortunately, your redeeming potential for exact dates using double the amount of miles probably won't increase when NW joins SkyTeam. You'll still only be able to do that on NW. That said, as other posters have indicated, with more partners and more combinations, you should have a better chance at redeeming regular (capacity controlled) awards.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
AFAIK, Rulebusters are only available to the members of each particular program.
I was afraid of that... oh well, maybe it will be better.

Steve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.