Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Help Please

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2001, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BR Gold
Upgrade Help Please

Yes, I hate 2 fly but need some help (for which I've had to register here ). I've read everything in this folder and have checked out the DL, KE, and SkyTeam websites to no avail.

I am flying HNL-BKK-HNL on KE in 6 days. I have 250k miles with DL but no status. I've been booked in N class, whatever that is, and am wondering if I can get an upgrade to business. KE's site says I need 50k to upgrade on a reduced-fair ticket, but none of the sites mention how to go about getting the upgrade.

Thanks for any help. Hope I've given you enough to go on.
Old Sep 2, 2001, 6:47 pm

I'm pretty sure that KE's award redemption chart is for those using KE mileage. Check DL's website. Click SkyMiles, then click program info, click redemption opportunity, click Korean Air Awards. The KE partner awards state 50K (Award code K740)round-trip from the U.S. to Southeast Asia, but says that "only residents of Hawaii may use Honolulu as a gateway for Honolulu-Seoul flights." If this applies to you, request expedited delivery of your certificate. Call KE for upgrade availability. Surrender the certificate at a CTO or at check-in. In my experience, they will make xerox copies of the certificate and attach them to your ticket!

The minimum upgradeable fare on KE is "H." If "N" is higher than "H" you're in luck. I find that the load factors on KE in business aren't that high due to bad publicity concerning safety as well as an economy only recently coming out of a massive recession.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 3, 2001, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BR Gold
Thanks for the info and help. Sad to say but you were more helpful than DL or KE. DL wanted nothing to do with it and KE told me to call my travel agent for the information.

SkyTeam - With Friends Like This, Who Needs Enemies
Old Sep 4, 2001, 1:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
This doesn't help you since you have no DL status, hate2fly, but for those Medallions on Delta, I suggest calling SMS to handle doing the upgrade.

I did the same thing for a trip back in April. What I did was pretty much what FTraveler described, except that I called SMS to both have my certificate issued and do the upgrade. What SMS did was check availability and make the upgrade reservation and send me the upgrade certificate.

Then I took my original coach (H class) ticket and the upgrade certificate to the DL ticket counter at the airport and they issued me a new ticket in business.

I originally called KE, but they seemed to be confused about how to handle doing an upgrade with a DL certificate. SMS, on the other hand, knew exactly what to do and I was off the phone in about 15 minutes. I did have to call KE for a seat assignment, which was no problem once SMS handled the upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.