Search

New additions to Skyteam?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2001, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB-Plat, HHonors Gold
New additions to Skyteam?

Hi all,

There was a lot of talk in March on subject of expansion of Skyteam. Alitalia had talks with Air France. There is also gossip on Thai Airways and maybe even Swissair coming . I was wondering if anyone had some more info. Did someone see or hear something about what is the status.

------------------
Cheers,

Brenno.
Old Apr 2, 2001, 10:14 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
I'll put my money on China Southern.

They are already in the DL fold, and have been running an FF program for several years.

I suspect all three major alliances are looking closely at China. It will be a big coup for whichever alliance gets the first mainland carrier. To date, when I travel inside China, my selections are dictated pretty much by schedule alone.

However, if status miles were added to the mix, that would bring a new incentive to the table.

[This message has been edited by AC*SE (edited 04-03-2001).]
Old Apr 2, 2001, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB-Plat, HHonors Gold
Express yourself somewhat clearer. Sounds interesting!

------------------
Cheers,

Brenno.
Old Apr 2, 2001, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
While i could be wrong, I'm pretty sure that the current aviation treaties between the PRC and USA don't allow for full inclusion in airline alliances. It doesn't allow for shared FF benefits and things like that.
Old Apr 3, 2001, 7:54 am
Original Member

What do you mean by "shared ff benefits". I believe China Southern is a partner in DL Sky Miles and you can both earn and redeem with them.
Old Apr 3, 2001, 11:39 am

I am not aware of any Air Services Agreement that wades into the area of loyalty marketing schemes.

The only significant restriction I can think of is the AA/BA trans-atlantic rule, which came about by reason of anti-trust, not Air Services.

(e.g. UA MP can earn on BD flights trans-atl, and vice versa. This would not be the case if the Air Services agreement interfered.)
Old Apr 3, 2001, 12:40 pm
Original Member

AC*SE:
However, the notoriously slow to be updated UA web-site shows no indication of how many miles UA members will earn on BD transatlantic flights. Hopefully mile for mile 100% - however, coach flights in Europe "only" receive 250 miles.
Old Apr 3, 2001, 2:35 pm

One of the major alliances already has China...technically. (CX is part of Oneworld.) I would think SR could join, but only if ties with SN are severed and the AA alliance is cut-off.
Old Apr 3, 2001, 6:25 pm

That's why I said, "mainland carrier" to distinguish CA, CZ etc. from CX, KA and CI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.