Wiki Posts
Search

How to avoid baggage fees?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2021, 2:21 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by simonsuo
Does any SkyTeam airline allow a passenger to check 4 bags free, considering all possible ticket types and elite status?
it doesnt work like this , while the luggage rules regarding elites are thankfully standard across all skyteam members (there are exceptions of course but its way better than oneworld or star alliance) , no elite status or ticket types of any kind allow you to check 4 luggages for free

About status , i think its 1 max , but it can be 2 if you travel with light hand luggage , are really nice to checkin agent and he/she ask you if you would like to check your extra luggage

If you travel in business class then you need to check the rules of each airline you want to fly with , and as far as i know you can check 2 luggages in most cases

I remember that kenya airways and saudia are pretty generous about luggages even in travelling in economy (2 pieces) , otherwise the other airlines are usually allowing you the same (0 or 1 piece , depends on fares)

So if you combine luggage allowance in business + a status then you could check 3 luggages for free maximum (or included in the price) , if you want to have 4 you will need to pay

Last edited by fifty_two; Jun 24, 2021 at 3:22 am
Old Jun 24, 2021, 10:42 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fifty_two

So if you combine luggage allowance in business + a status then you could check 3 luggages for free maximum (or included in the price) , if you want to have 4 you will need to pay
Thanks for your help, that's my impression too, just want to weigh my options. FYI, American Airlines Flagship First with OneWorld Emerald status allows you to check 4. That's the only airline in the world I know so far.
With that being said, Air France La Première allows you to check 3 bags, and SkyTeam Elite+ get you one more. So is that the only expectation? Or AF limits you at 3 regardless? Anyway, because La Première cannot upgrade with miles or redeem by miles, that's too expensive for me.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 2:45 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
FYI, American Airlines Flagship First with OneWorld Emerald status allows you to check 4....Air France La Première allows you to check 3 bags, and SkyTeam Elite+ get you one more.
Yes but if i had money to fly first or la premiere , then having 4 free luggages would be the last of my problems

With that being said, Air France La Première allows you to check 3 bags, and SkyTeam Elite+ get you one more. So is that the only expectation? Or AF limits you at 3 regardless?
I heard some rumors that when travelling with la premiere , they are not really worried about exact number of luggages

Anyway, because La Première cannot upgrade with miles or redeem by miles, that's too expensive for me.
Too expensive yes , but you can upgrade/redeem miles , however you need to have a flying blue status , silver or above to be able to do that (they changed it 2 years ago , before anyone could do it)
simonsuo likes this.

Last edited by fifty_two; Jun 25, 2021 at 3:22 am
Old Jun 25, 2021, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by fifty_two
Yes but if i had money to fly first or la premiere , then having 4 free luggages would be the last of my problem
I thought exactly the same
simonsuo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.