Benefit from elite plus status, but redeem on another airline program

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Benefit from elite plus status, but redeem on another airline program

Hello,
I want to make sure this is possible:
  • I have Delta SkyMiles Gold status, so Elite Plus status in SkyTeam
  • I have a flight next september, CDG-JNB with Air France, and I redeem this flight on Flying Blue, not on my SkyMiles. My Flying Blue status is Silver, which means Elite for SkyTeam
I would like to know if I can access the lounge, have the SkyPriority and other Elite Plus benefits, knowing that I have the right status on Delta, but I will redeem my ticket on flying blue.

I couldn't find anything saying it's impossible, neither saying it's possible. Any idea/experience?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Just show your card and I think it should work.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Skyteam Elite Plus Members are afforded all the relevant perks whenever travelling on a Skyteam flight, subject to the usual provisos (lounge access requires (connection to/from) a same-day international Skyteam flight). It does not matter how the ticket was acquired or paid for.

As your status perks come from an FFP not noted on your ticket, carry your Delta status card to show your entitlement to, and to obtain, the relevant benefits
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback.
I will keep my Delta status card on my phone easily accessible then (I don't have a physical card, I have the status from a challenge and from my understanding, they don't issue the card).

From my experience with SkyPriority, I usually show my ticket where it's clearly written Skyprority to pass fast line security, priority boarding, etc.
In this case, I don't think this will be written on the ticket.
Do you think it's ok to show the Delta status card only? I'm not sure the agents are all very clear with that... Should I be able to ask during checkin to put skypriority on the ticket?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by trilame
From my experience with SkyPriority, I usually show my ticket where it's clearly written Skyprority to pass fast line security, priority boarding, etc.
In this case, I don't think this will be written on the ticket.
Do you think it's ok to show the Delta status card only? I'm not sure the agents are all very clear with that... Should I be able to ask during checkin to put skypriority on the ticket?
The agent at check-in will not be able to add SkyP mention on the BP if the credentials are not in the system. If you are in an airport where you need to scan the BP to open an automatic gate, you may not have access. If it is a manual check (e.g. CDG), show your DL card and it should be OK.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:22 am
Original Poster

I will be in CDG, 2E. I will see how things goes (my flight is mid-september).

Thanks a lot for all your feedbacks!
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:21 am

You can simply change your FFP numberr registered with this particular flight from AF to DL (AF agent at CDG should be able to so). As long as your DL numbers are showing up in your boarding pass, it should carry skypriority print automatically.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by simonlys

You can simply change your FFP numberr registered with this particular flight from AF to DL (AF agent at CDG should be able to so). As long as your DL numbers are showing up in your boarding pass, it should carry skypriority print automatically.
But if I do so, I guess miles will be credited to Skymiles, which I don’t want.

Feedback after my flights:
CDG, 2E: showed delta gold cars to agent at sky priority lane for security (which wasn’t busy at all), no problem and I even pass with my +2 (who doesn’t have any status). For the lounge access, the agent asked my skymiles number, and I guess checked if that was not a fake. FF for this flight wasn’t changed (still flying blue and has been credited on my account)
VFA: flying with Kenya Airways, economy ticket. According to the website, no Skyteam lounge there. I still went to the lounge and asked. They were confused because my elite plus was on delta, and my ff number on ticket was flying blue. They made a couple of calls and finally granted us access. They re-edited my boarding pass, changing the ff number to delta skymiles, which I didn’t want. I only noticed after, and contacted flying blue (the day after the flight): they just asked me if the flight was already credited on delta skymiles and as it wasn’t the case, they immediately credited it on my flying blue account.

So in the end, not the seamless experience, but it works.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 3:03 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
For future reference, if you redeem a flight that means that you would spend miles to buy an award ticket. Such ticket would not earn any new miles.

I think most of the post in this topic were aimed at that case, where you would fly on an award ticket and the earning of miles would be non-important.

Good to hear all succeeded anyway though!
Old Sep 28, 2019, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xandrios
For future reference, if you redeem a flight that means that you would spend miles to buy an award ticket. Such ticket would not earn any new miles.

I think most of the post in this topic were aimed at that case, where you would fly on an award ticket and the earning of miles would be non-important.

Good to hear all succeeded anyway though!
Thanks for the comment, then my subject is incorrect. In my case, I bought a ticket with cash (no miles redeem), and I chose flying blue to earn the miles generated by this ticket. In addition, I enjoyed the benefits of my elite plus on delta skymiles.

A better subject could be: benefit of my elite plus status (delta skymiles), but earn the miles on a different FF program (flying blue).
if any mod wants to edit it!
Old Sep 28, 2019, 4:27 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
It's no problem; in the end everything worked out well But yes, redemption generally means that you are spending miles for the ticket - while accrual means to earn miles on a (revenue) ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.