China Southern departs from Skyteam 2019/01/01

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Southern departs from Skyteam 2019/01/01

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I predict that both AA and CZ will expand in Daxing in a major way (e.g. this is why AA is attempting to warehouse its PEK/SHA slots). I can't envision CX permitting CZ to join OW, but you never know.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:21 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
From skyteam website:

"What will happen to my SkyTeam benefits, like earning or using frequent flyer miles, airport lounges, SkyPriority or Go Around the World pass? And will that change immediately after 1 January 2019?
Customers are our priority. Things will change, but it will not happen overnight. SkyTeam and China Southern have agreed to work together throughout 2019 to ensure a seamless transition for all of our customers. We will keep you updated in the coming weeks and months."

While a bit hard to read between the lines I think it is likely skyteam members will still be able to get lounge access and earn mileage for a while longer. I also doubt skyteam wont announce at such short notice end of benefitsbPlus China Southern still gains from giving benefits to skyteam elite plus and their own members continuing to use the skyteam network for the short to medium term. What China southern wants is to develop more with AA and other non skyteam members where skyteam agreements were limiting it currently from doing that.

I think Oneworld membership is far from certain considering CZ has 2 hubs So close to Hong Kong CX(CAN and SZX...SZX CZ is growing its international network). CX could easily veto them joining. So if that happens CZ could more likely be like Emirates which selectively allows partnerships.

At least I feel more confident now booking next month for Chinese New Years domestic flight to and from Chongqing, getting lounge access as well as other benefits.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
My guess is like when Alaska bounced. It 'ends' on Jan 1st 2019 but people that already booked will get the benefits/earnings. Thus the true 'end' will be Jan 1st 2020.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by chalf
Does anyone have any guess as to when FlyingBlue earnings may cease, after exiting SkyTeam? I am looking at a flight on CZ in early January 2019, and getting Flying Blue credit is highly desirable.

Nothing yet on the AF or DL websites.
AF and CZ has a JV in place and so CZ leaving ST doesn’t mean necessarily that they will end their JV with AF. If it continues, FB members will still enjoy benefits when flying CZ.
tris06 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:22 am
K.L

Originally Posted by tris06
It also begs the question how the greater China connection agreement between the 4 local Skyteam airlines (MU,CI,CZ and Xiamen) will go as it was an agreement on top of the normal skyteam benefits and only started about 4 years ago.
This is a very interesting question,I think it will be canceled from a commercial point of view. After all, China Southern contributed half of the lounge,
From a political point of view, China Southern will not withdraw,Because the greater China connection agreement is set for political reasons.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
TPECZ sent a notice today to Taiwanese travel agents. Some wordings are still unclear, but it gives more information.

中國南方航空基於自身發展戰略的需要和順應全球航空運輸業合作模式的新趨勢,決定自2019年1月1日起不 再續簽天合聯盟協議,2019年12月31日前完成各項過度工作。為充分保障旅客權益,公告如 下:
一、過渡期期間,凡購買南航客票,並且旅行日期在2019年12月31日前 (含)的旅客,均可享受目前天合聯盟同樣的服務。
二、過渡期前間,南航已銷售的天合聯盟產品、及天合聯盟成員公司銷售的南航產品,旅客仍享受同樣的中轉服務 、休息室
服務、常旅客里程服務。
三、過渡期期間,南航不再銷售天合聯盟套票產品。

中國南方航空台灣分公司-客運部
訂位/票務電話 (02)2509-9555
This roughly translates to:
CZ decided to not renew its agreement with SkyTeam eff. 01JAN2019 and will complete all transition work by 31DEC2019. In order to protect the rights of passengers,
1. All passengers who purchased a CZ ticket during the transition period travelling on or before 31DEC2019 will still enjoy the same SkyTeam services.
2. All passengers who purchased a CZ-sold SkyTeam product or a SkyTeam member-sold CZ product before/during [unclear, suspect to be a typo] the transition period will still enjoy transfer services, lounge services, and FFP mileage accrual services.
3. During the transition period, CZ will no longer sell SkyTeam products.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:10 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Thanks for that update. Yes the end of skyteam benefits will be until end of 2019 which is good to know and might be tempted to try the new lounge at Daxing airport lounge before it all wraps up. I think Daxing will open a couple of months before the end of 2019.

Still hoping there might be some continuing relations (and hence continuing benefits) with some skyteam airlines. For those not living in China, China eastern probably has enough to cover everything.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:42 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Still no news of when skyteam earning and benefits will cease . I would assume at latest that they would formally announce no later than the begining of November if skyteam benefits cease by the end of this year. Also no recent chat about Oneworld membership.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by tris06
Still no news of when skyteam earning and benefits will cease . I would assume at latest that they would formally announce no later than the begining of November if skyteam benefits cease by the end of this year. Also no recent chat about Oneworld membership.
1. 12/31/2019
2. Oneworld membership?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: Enrich
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/3015716/china-southern-airlines-eyes-world-domination-it-puts-plans-join

Currently their plan is to expand massively and not joining any other alliance. Let see how it will be next year
kale73 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:54 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by moondog
1. 12/31/2019
2. Oneworld membership?
Yeah well that was the worded statement that it would take a year to unravel themselves from the alliance. But still they will need to inform people officially. There is also a good chance the "Greater china connection alliance" between 4 airlines (CZ,MU,MF and CI) may very well continue. I think it is unlikely now that they will join Oneworld unless their business under performs in the near future. More airlines want the freedom to choose who to partner up with.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by dici
Currently their plan is to expand massively and not joining any other alliance. Let see how it will be next year
IMO, the combination of PKX and the AA partnership is a huge deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.