Wiki Posts
Search

Name misspelling on fly Amsterdam-JFK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2015, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Hi to all,
I have a reservation made with KLM for march 2016 flying from Amsterdam to New york JFK, performed by an online travel agent (big mistake).
The problem I have is that the last name of one of the passengers instead of appearing in the reservation as Berastegui , it appears as Berastegi.

I have contacted KLM who said that the Travel Agent is the only person allowed to perform changes on reservation.
The Travel Agent sais that it is not allowed to perform changes on reservation.

I have entered the reservation code into KLM website and I have modified the info in secure flight API data in order to include full name (with 2 surnames as appears on passport) and I will also ask for the ESTA with full name with both surnames.
Do you think that i could get in trouble due to that missing "u" ?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: KLM Gold/MS Elite/LH FTL/HH Gold/Accor PLAT/IHG Plat Ambassador/CC Gold

No i dont think so...we had a similar case...Hesse was misspealed into Hessa...no problem at all...
Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 24Yukon24
No i dont think so...we had a similar case...Hesse was misspealed into Hessa...no problem at all...
Thank you for reply! was your flight also from outside United States to United States?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by 24Yukon24
I am not so sure. While that kind of mistake might be of no importance or minor in most countries, we are talking here of a flight to the US.
The ESTA must match the passport and the name on the PNR must match this as well. Any discrepancy may cause you troubles.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dvdstbn
I have contacted KLM who said that the Travel Agent is the only person allowed to perform changes on reservation.
KLM is correct. You aren't asking the travel agent to make a change - you're asking for a correction.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
KLM is correct. You aren't asking the travel agent to make a change - you're asking for a correction.
and do you know what is the procedure that the travel agent should do? as far as i know he has asked again to KLM to perform the correction by sending the passport
Old Sep 12, 2015, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by dvdstbn
Hi to all,
I have a reservation made with KLM for march 2016 flying from Amsterdam to New york JFK, performed by an online travel agent (big mistake).
The problem I have is that the last name of one of the passengers instead of appearing in the reservation as Berastegui , it appears as Berastegi.

I have entered the reservation code into KLM website and I have modified the info in secure flight API data in order to include full name (with 2 surnames as appears on passport) and I will also ask for the ESTA with full name with both surnames.
Do you think that i could get in trouble due to that missing "u" ?
Don't waste another second of worry about a single letter error. They are very common and people fly every day without incident.

That said, what matters is not the name field on the ticket, it is is the passport name field in the reservation. Just make sure that field is correct by checking in 24 hours ahead of time.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Indelaware is totally right. I used to work for Carnival Corp (P&O Cruises/Princess/Cunard/Holland America line cruise lines) and they had a big corporate travel department who booked flights for the hundreds of thousands of crew members, often from Asia with difficult names. Misspelt names were common and yet none of these guys ever had trouble checking in. These were flights to and from the USA.
Also when I was working in the Middle East the travel department spelt my name wrong several times, also no issues.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yachtman
Indelaware is totally right. I used to work for Carnival Corp (P&O Cruises/Princess/Cunard/Holland America line cruise lines) and they had a big corporate travel department who booked flights for the hundreds of thousands of crew members, often from Asia with difficult names. Misspelt names were common and yet none of these guys ever had trouble checking in. These were flights to and from the USA.
Also when I was working in the Middle East the travel department spelt my name wrong several times, also no issues.
Thank you so much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.