Wiki Posts
Search

Delta-Air France partnership does not work and is getting worse

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: delta skymiles
Delta-Air France partnership does not work and is getting worse

Why can't Delta and Air France work together effectively? It has always been bad and is only getting worse. A year ago agents said things would improve because they combined their computer systems (which is actually not true in the full sense of that term). But then Air France shut down its US phone lines and made Delta its "representative" in the US. Since then, things are even worse than ever. I am a Delta Platinum member (for many years, 800,000 total miles flown, many of them on Air France). I won't bore all of you with all of the incidents where the Delta Premier line agents have given incorrect information about ticketing, seating, baggage or linking records (e.g., when one member of the family had a ticket paid for from work and the rest of us had a second itinerary) on Air France; and/or the partnership policies of one company or the other made no sense but that company would not budge. The lack of policy coordination on seating is more egregious. Being a Platinum member on Delta does not get one preferred seats for family members on Air France flights. Most recently, I bought two tickets SFO-CDG-SFO -- buying Air France tix from Delta on the phone -- and then could not arrange seating because (after 20 more minutes on hold) "Air France is changing that schedule and can't sell any seats for 4 or 5 days -- and if they change the flight, we will accomodate you with a comparable flight." Four or five days??? I have spent around 3 hours on the phone in total regarding this particular trip. I wish that someone at Delta would make it a higher priority to get Air France to look at the big picture here -- how to make the customer experience coherent and positive. Things aren't going well.
Old May 29, 2015, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It sounds like you are complaining about Delta customer service rather than the JV between the airlines. Why not pick up the phone and call Air France in France? It should only cost you a few pennies per minute. From my perspective going the other way I have no problems booking flights with AF that connect to DL flights in the US. Plus I can always change seats on the AF website without having to call anyone. I only call if I have a complicated booking with family members on different tickets.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I have had zero issues. I do not particularly enjoy connecting in CDG but that is a subject of a separate thread.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; May 29, 2015 at 5:08 pm
Old May 29, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Did the rep speak French??? He was able to speak French when I called the US number.

The ugly part of this JV is my AF miles take forever to post, need to follow up to get those miles. Then the famous CDG transit. It is getting better but why do the 3 lounges in K L M terminal is so inconsistent. If I recall M is best and L is rundown.
Old May 29, 2015, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
The ugly part of this JV is my AF miles take forever to post, need to follow up to get those miles. Then the famous CDG transit. It is getting better but why do the 3 lounges in K L M terminal is so inconsistent. If I recall M is best and L is rundown.
If I recall correctly Johnny, you were with us when we toured the newly built terminal S4 before it opened. Thus you could see that the M gates were all new and super nice. And you should be aware that the K and L are not new and thus can't enjoy a freshly constructed new lounge.

The good news is that it's AF's stated direction to go with the M style for all new lounges at CDG and 2G will get redone in this style.

And from my side as an AF member, DL miles post relatively quickly. Maybe 5-7 days. Not sure of the mechanics and where the delays are.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 2:34 pm

You might find it far better to simply avoid AF. I do so and find this only eliminates any possible DL-AF snafus, but allows one to avoid AF inflight staff and minimizes exposure to AF airport staff.

So much easier to fly KLM SFO-AMS-CDG or fly DL and connect at SEA/SLC/MSP/DTW/CVG/JFK/ATL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.