Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Flying Skyteam Alliance for first time and....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Hello!

Next year I'll by flying Skyteam, in total i'll have over 10K in miles flown. I am currently with Aeroplan(Star Alliance) and Avios(One World) in point collecting. Been reading various blogs about the point schemes of each airline in Skyteam. Just want to get a broader sense of what others would do in my situation, who should I bank all my points with?

Any thoughtful advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 13, 2014, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Welcome to Flyertalk! Where's your home airport, and what routes will you fly most often? But 10,000 miles per year is not really enough to warrant chasing anything but the cheapest flights you can, if you ask me, unless you have credit cards and other means to enhance your balance.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

Alaska is a good ffp due to its many partner airlines (but that can change) http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...ePlan-partners
Old Aug 13, 2014, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

Well it was a bit sudden going with the flight plans. It was that strange one way fare from NYC to Japan or Thailand. Jumped on it, I'll be upgrading my seats so i can get full miles and well so i can sleep properly on the flight!

I have never flown on any skyteam airline. So this will be interesting. Wanted to see where I can bank the miles and find a way to grow it so i can use it for a future flight.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 9:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kreative
Thanks!

Well it was a bit sudden going with the flight plans. It was that strange one way fare from NYC to Japan or Thailand. Jumped on it, I'll be upgrading my seats so i can get full miles and well so i can sleep properly on the flight!

I have never flown on any skyteam airline. So this will be interesting. Wanted to see where I can bank the miles and find a way to grow it so i can use it for a future flight.
What do you mean that you'll be upgrading your seats? Do not assume that you can do this. Also, even if you upgrade, you will earn miles on the basis on the fare you purchased.

One advantage of the DL FF program is that redeemable miles currently do not expire (until you die).
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What do you mean that you'll be upgrading your seats? Do not assume that you can do this. Also, even if you upgrade, you will earn miles on the basis on the fare you purchased.

One advantage of the DL FF program is that redeemable miles currently do not expire (until you die).

I already checked into that, i'll be good to go to earn full miles once i upgrade the seats vs the quarter. I'm just upgrading to economy premium on the routes.

Didnt delta devalue their program recently?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:13 am

Personally, I think it's a huge improvement - they are going to start allowing one-way bookings. Now, the big kicker is they totally cut off the "mileage runners" - miles are now earned for spend not for, well, miles flown.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:42 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I already checked into that, i'll be good to go to earn full miles once i upgrade the seats vs the quarter. I'm just upgrading to economy premium on the routes.

What do you mean by upgrade? Of course you can always pay the fare difference and any change fees to change to a ticket in a higher cabin class (unless the desired cabin is already sold out), but to most people, upgrade suggests that miles or other instruments are being used, that it's a free upgrade based on status, or that the passenger has paid a monetary surcharge which is much less than the fare difference.

Since you say Premium Economy, I'm assuming that the flight is operated by AF.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Since you say Premium Economy, I'm assuming that the flight is operated by AF.
Hopefully - otherwise they may mean Seat Plus or Economy Comfort.

But none of these - even Premium Economy - will lead to "proper sleep", I'm afraid.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Hopefully - otherwise they may mean Seat Plus or Economy Comfort.

But none of these - even Premium Economy - will lead to "proper sleep", I'm afraid.
But Seat Plus and EC can't affect the miles earned for the flight.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
But Seat Plus and EC can't affect the miles earned for the flight.
I know. But the OP may not realise that. They are a Skyteam novice, after all. The nature of the "upgrade" remains vague and mysterious (and unconvincing!)
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I know. But the OP may not realise that. They are a Skyteam novice, after all. The nature of the "upgrade" remains vague and mysterious (and unconvincing!)
Yes, but OP seems convinced that he/she can somehow just call or whatever and claim the upgrade, thereby going from a 25% earning to at least 100% earning ticket. It's disturbing.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
You may have misunderstood something. You won't earn miles at the rate associated with the class of service you upgrade into. And if you are on Delta and have paid to sit in EC/Economy Comfort all you get is a bit more legroom and a free alcoholic drink.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
You may have misunderstood something. You won't earn miles at the rate associated with the class of service you upgrade into. And if you are on Delta and have paid to sit in EC/Economy Comfort all you get is a bit more legroom and a free alcoholic drink.
IIRC DL now serves free alcohol throughout coach.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:34 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
As this post appears to be related specifically SkyTeam questions, it's been moved to the dedicated SkyTeam forum where it's more likely to be seen by FTers with an interest in the subject.

~Moderator, Information Desk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.