Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award ticket availability using skypass miles

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2014, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Award ticket availability using skypass miles

Hey all, thanks for any replies in advance.

I'm trying to use my skypass miles to book a trip to europe departing the last week of may (up to the first week of june). I called Skypass and have been told that there's basically no availability from SFO to any major western european city during that time frame. How likely is Delta, Air France, KLM, or any other partner airline to release more bookable awards flights? I'm wondering if I should start looking at alternatives.
Old May 3, 2014, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
'Anywhere' searches lack focus and make it easy for an agent to say 'There is nothing.' Picking a destination and comprehensively exploring possible routings across the partners' networks will bring more success. Some skills in partner carriers' search tools is helpful.

Try this Delta routing:

departure 5/28/14
DL 5750 SFO-SEA
DL 232 SEA-AMS

That shows on delta.com as a saver award in coach, as do a few other dates SFO-AMS. I see SFO-JFK-FCO with lengthy layovers on 5/29; SFO-JFK-MAD with a lengthy layover 6/5...

Welcome to FlyerTalk.
Old May 3, 2014, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply.

'Anywhere' searches lack focus and make it easy for an agent to say 'There is nothing.'
To clarify, I didn't ask the CSR to search just 'anywhere', but I asked him to check specifically about 15 major cities in western Europe to which Skypass flies.

I called Korean Air again this morning and asked about SFO-SEA-AMS flights you mentioned; she told me that flight was unavailable. I also asked about a few other possibilities flights I found through expertflyer, but she said those were also unavailable. However, her system was showing a potential stopover on delta through Seattle (5/28 and 5/29); I booked that as a backup. There were no obvious returns from 10 major cities in europe to SFO between 6/12-6/18, but she did find a Milan-Atlanta flight on the 17th that I booked as a backup.

I'm wondering if the CSR to whom I spoke a couple of days ago just missed that possible stopover in Seattle (or maybe I didn't tell him that was an option?) or if it just became available over the last couple of days. Do Delta, KLM, and Air France regularly open up more tickets for Korean Air to use for its Skypass members?

Are there other possible stopover destinations aside from ATL and JFK from SFO that tend to have more availabilities to and fro Europe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.