Wiki Posts
Search

Russia's Aeroflot considers leaving SkyTeam alliance: paper

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2013, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Paul4Travel
What about penalties SU should pay in case it leaves ST?
If i correctly remember, in 2008 AZ was partially going to be acquired by LH, but one of the many problems was the fact AZ is on ST, not on *A, so LH would have to pay an high penalty for this.
The costs associated with exiting SkyTeam were mentioned on the above article to be $20 million.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 7:07 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by holtju2
The costs associated with exiting SkyTeam were mentioned on the above article to be $20 million.
Sounds about right. If you're an airline planning on alliance hopping, you should start with oneworld, which is the only one of the three which doesn't have any exit penalties - being a looser alliance built primarily around marketing and codeshares.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
DL just cut the points that Skymiles members can earn for low fare bucket flights on SU which is one reason I have stopped flying SU lately. Otherwise, I'd fly it a lot more as it's better than AF or AZ.

Not sure if SU or DL is responsible for cutting back the points earnings, but if it's DL then I can understand why SU is mad.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 3:25 pm

Don't get too excited. I have it on reasonably good authority that the main reason for this is an on-going negotiation between SU and DL (and to some extent AF) regarding TATL traffic. This announcement is just to help with their negotiations. It is extremely unlikely that SU would switch alliances at this point.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 3:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lewinr
Don't get too excited. I have it on reasonably good authority that the main reason for this is an on-going negotiation between SU and DL (and to some extent AF) regarding TATL traffic. This announcement is just to help with their negotiations. It is extremely unlikely that SU would switch alliances at this point.
What if the negotiation did not fruit the way SU wanted?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:18 am

I dont know.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:36 pm

Here is additional information from Aeroflot CEO, http://finance.yahoo.com/news/aerofl...143401638.html
Old Jul 10, 2013, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Most excellent news. Russia is a big hole in the Star network. There have been a few blows to Star lately, so this is a welcome addition. Hope SU knows they may not get away charging YQ on UA issued award tickets.
Do you have an entry date for SU's admission to *A, champ?
Old Aug 27, 2013, 4:54 am

Aeroflot shouldn't leave.

Aeroflot should summarily be kicked out.

Nice cabin crews, horrible policies in everything else.

Book an award ticket originating ex-US on Aeroflot? Get ready to get hosed on a laundry list of fees.

Lounge access if you are Delta Sky Team Elite flying on an Aeroflot flight (bought through Delta or Aeroflot) - As of 2 August internal Aeroflot memo, no access fr Delta SkyMiles. SkyTeam rules don't apply and Delta answers with lip service.

Preferred seating as Elite? Nope. You get what you get.

SkyMiles for Aeroflot flights, seamless? Yeah, right. Anything but seamless and always not in the flier's favor. And this is only getting worse.

So, beware of delta.com selling you anything Aeroflot. Not worth it. Don't know if they are crapping on each other or just one on the other. Net result is customer gets screwed.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 7:28 am
Suspended

You dont think they may join the 4th alliance that El Al are trying to start up?
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I can't imagine what other airlines that aren't already in an alliance would want to be in one with LY. Ukrainian? Transaero? Those are the only ones I can think of and given how bad LY's FF program is, I can only imagine how awful that alliance would be.

If the lounge access thing for ST Elites on SU is true as socal23 says, then there really is no reason to fly SU anymore. DL's gutting the mileage earning potential on low fare coach flights was the first reason I stopped flying them, but this adds insult to injury.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
You dont think they may join the 4th alliance that El Al are trying to start up?
What alliance?
Old Aug 27, 2013, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NYTA
I can't imagine what other airlines that aren't already in an alliance would want to be in one with LY. Ukrainian? Transaero? Those are the only ones I can think of and given how bad LY's FF program is, I can only imagine how awful that alliance would be.
Interestingly enough is was Aerosvit and a couple of second tier Russian airlines who I remember experessed interest in a 4th alliance with El Al. Whilst it would never be able to compete with the big 3, it was El Al's way of protesting against all 3 alliances denying it entry.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The day of the alliance is coming to an end. They should just partner with the carriers they want to work with.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by irishguy28
The day of the alliance is coming to an end. They should just partner with the carriers they want to work with.
It is not the day of alliance is coming to an end. It is the day Delta want to dominate every aspect of Skyteam by changing its FFP around and raise the settles fees on codeshares...Nothing wrong by the way until the alliance member is discriminated against (e.g. Korean Airways case)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.