Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Redemption frustrations

Redemption frustrations

Old Mar 26, 2013, 4:30 am
ATD
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Delta Skymiles, Continental Onepass, etc.
Redemption frustrations

Hi,

Just wanted to share my experience to see if any of the senior members here can offer suggestions.

So I have 80k Delta Skymiles which is supposedly enough for a low level tkt from Asia or the Middle East to the US.

After umpteen hours of scouring award flights on DL.com, and several hours on the phone with DL agents in the US and India, I have come up blank.

Want to travel end of May-beg June and return end of July or August. Pretty open with dates and even sectors (can land anywhere in the US, from BOM, DEL, BKK, SIN, DXB etc).

My findings:

1. Nothing available on DL, AF, KLM, etc.
2. I joined expertflyer and found availability on CI, MU, CZ (DL.com doesn't show these airlines)--but when I called DL, they either say the seats aren't there, or even if they are, the taxes and surcharges are 4-500 USD!
3. Skymiles rep said most of the above airlines have blackout dates for Jun-Aug.
4. Same amount of surcharge to redeem from Europe to the US (ridiculous!)

So can't help but conclude that skymiles are a poor alternative to United miles, and only good for domestic US redemption.

Last year I got BKK-NRT-IAD-CMH/SFO-SYD/PER-BKK for only 65k United miles and $100 or so tax!

Any ideas out there?

Sorry to vent.

--ATD

Last edited by ATD; Mar 26, 2013 at 4:32 am Reason: forgot something
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:50 am

Saudia.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, CO Gold, AF
I agree that the award engine is less than outstanding. Keep in mind you are looking for an award ticket 2-3 months out during the busiest travel time of the year. You may get lucky as you get closer to your travel dates. Sometimes low level shows up one or two weeks out.

Remember that many people are booking 8-10 months out, so getting low level this close to travel dates is problematic at best. Good luck and keep on trying.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: GF Black
Originally Posted by tpatta
I agree that the award engine is less than outstanding. Keep in mind you are looking for an award ticket 2-3 months out during the busiest travel time of the year. You may get lucky as you get closer to your travel dates. Sometimes low level shows up one or two weeks out.

Remember that many people are booking 8-10 months out, so getting low level this close to travel dates is problematic at best. Good luck and keep on trying.
Couldn't agree more especially the region that you are seeking iduring that time of the is packed with travelers! Try to switch to Europe/east asia for alternative choices!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.