Wiki Posts
Search

AF 380-800 upper deck, speed of disembarking

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skteam Alliance
AF 380-800 upper deck, speed of disembarking

Hello. I am a new poster and have some questions about Air France. We're taking a flight LAX-CDG, and I see that seats in the upper deck, row 89, are available, two seats aisle and window, which I really like. The other choice is to get row 31, aisle and middle, on the lower deck.

We've never flown on the top level, though comments on here I've seen say it's quieter. My concern is that we have a tight connection at CDG (on to Prague) - is it faster to disembark from the top level than the main level? As far as I can count...there would be 134 people in front of us on the upper deck, and about 190 on the lower deck - if only the front staircase is used, anyway. But I don't have any experience with how they disembark. Do they use both the front and back stairs?

Next question: I really need the flip down foot rest! Flew Virgin to Heathrow and had no foot rest and my legs were dying. Does this AF plane always have one, or should I buy a travel one and bring it along.

Thanks very much for any advice.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: FB GOLD, ST ElitePlus, IC Ambassador, Priority Club Platinum
Hi.

From memory Air France they don't use the staircases. They have an air bridge to the top and bottom decks. Also I don't remember them having a foot rest.

Hope that helps.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 2:17 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
on my recent flight LAX_CDG on A380 there was no jet bridge to the upper deck so we had to climb down the stairs. If I were in Y, I would prefer the upper deck - smaller and more intimate cabin and faster disembarking as there are fewer passengers on the upper deck.
as for foot rest, unless you sit in a bulkhead or exit row, you should have one!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 6:01 am

Programs: Delta GM, ST E+, SPG Gold
I flew AF A380 (JFK-CDG) in July 2011. There was no upper deck jet bridge to disembark at CDG, which meant a very long time aboard the aircraft for those upstairs, despite the fact there are fewer people upstairs (business class, PV and regular voyager). In fact, they used the forward boarding door to exit the aircraft, so we had to walk downstairs at the forward staircase and then out...near first class. I think it's faster to disembark the A380 from the lower level.

I was seated on the upper level...it's a quieter cabin, and the crew is more apt to let you roam up and downstairs IF you're seated upstairs.

There are no foot rests in economy. If you're seated in Premium Voyager, Affaires or first class, of course there are foot rests.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 1:37 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
At CDG 2E there are upper level air bridges and boarding / disembarking is usually quite fast...
Old Oct 18, 2012, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Cupart
At CDG 2E there are upper level air bridges and boarding / disembarking is usually quite fast...
Yes, but it happens quite often that they take more time to connect the UD jetway, and so you disembark from LD.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Meal service is faster too. They serve PV, then move to economy. It is very quiet, which can be a disadvantage if there are crying babies. I was sitting in PV and could hear a screaming baby from BUSINESS!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.