Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

China Eastern schedule change...what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist

All,

I purchased 2 of the following tickets and saved about $800 per ticket doing it this way. I know doing this is frowned upon, but anyways I took the risk and am willing to pay for trouble since I saved a whole lot. But now I have a problem...

LAX-PVG-DPS-PVG-LAX on China Eastern in discount Y purchased on Orbitz. Normally I book directly with the airline, but this fare wasn't available.

USA-LAX-USA on UA directly with UA.

I was notified by Orbitz of a schedule change on the DPS-PVG flight. Instead of leaving at 3:40am, it now leaves at 12:30am. Obviously it's in the right direction in terms of the connection in PVG, but that leaves a 7 hour layover (arrival at 6:10 am, next flight at 1:10pm).

I'm told by Orbitz that the 3:40am flight was moved to 12:30am. However, when booking a few weeks ago, both a 3:40 and 12:30 flight option were offered. I selected the 3:40am flight to avoid the pain of a 7 hour layover. Now I'm told the 3:40am flight simply doesn't exist anymore (which seems to be true as I can't find it anymore).

Questions:

What to do in PVG for 7 hours? Is there a day hotel or something?

Can one leave the airport?

Can one get some kind of compensation for this?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If your nationality is eligible for transit without visa you can leave the airport and in fact spend up to 48 hour in Shanghai. Travel between the airport and downtown can easily take an hour, even more in bad traffic by taxi.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Looks like USA is eligible. For 7 hours and after a long flight, exploring the city isn't going to happen. Thoughts on a hotel nearby, perhaps one that does daytime stays?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Travel between the airport and downtown can easily take an hour, even more in bad traffic by taxi.
What about the Maglev train : 7 min to downtown + a short metro ride to be on Nanjing rd ?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
What about the Maglev train : 7 min to downtown + a short metro ride to be on Nanjing rd ?
Longyang Rd is nowhere near "downtown". The taxi (all the way from the airport) is consistently the faster option.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by keloutwest
Can one get some kind of compensation for this?
I'm afraid not.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
There are two hotels located between the two airport terminals at PVG, both offering day rooms and massage etc treatments. They are not fancy, but rather basic - ok for a couple of hours.
A Ramada is also there, but only within shuttle distance.

Going downtown is an option (that I would not consider after a Y night flight).

And of course there is no compensation due.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Need more help....

I have another wrinkle to report. My return flight has had yet ANOTHER schedule change (within 5 days of the last one). To recap, I was moved from the 3:40am DPS-PVG to the 12:30am flight. Makes my layover in PVG 7 hours, but I can deal with that.

Now, they have put me on the following:

7:30am DPS-PVG (i.e. 7 hours after the 12:30am flight). That flight arrives PVG at 1:10pm. The PVG-LAX flight leaves at 1:00pm. Here's the enraging part: "Time between flights: 0hr -10min".

Called China Eastern, have been on hold 1+ hours. Called Orbitz and they told me I have 2 choices: full refund, or I can stay the night in Shanghai and leave the next morning to LAX. Also not going to work given the extra UA leg I booked separately.

I'm thinking my only choice now is to leave DPS a day earlier, spend the night in PVG, and take my original flight to LAX the next day. [Updated: There are no flights the day before from DPS-PVG...]

Can anyone think of any options?

Also, the outbound flight leaves tomorrow.....

Last edited by keloutwest; Sep 27, 2012 at 6:37 pm Reason: new info
Old Sep 27, 2012, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If these are regular schedule changes, not temporary flight disruptions, responsibility for changing your ticket rests with Orbitz.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If these are regular schedule changes, not temporary flight disruptions, responsibility for changing your ticket rests with Orbitz.
They're saying it's China Eastern's fault, not theirs....
Old Sep 28, 2012, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
This isn't a matter of fault, it's an IATA convention agreed to by 200+ airlines. Advanced schedule changes are the problem of the ticket issuing party - the airline from which one bought the ticket directly, a travel agent, the other airline that issued the frequent flyer ticket, etc. Day of departure disruptions - mechanical, weather, air traffic control - are on the operating carrier.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
This isn't a matter of fault, it's an IATA convention agreed to by 200+ airlines. Advanced schedule changes are the problem of the ticket issuing party - the airline from which one bought the ticket directly, a travel agent, the other airline that issued the frequent flyer ticket, etc. Day of departure disruptions - mechanical, weather, air traffic control - are on the operating carrier.
Yes, while "passing the buck" is in the best interests of Orbitz, it has the responsibility to sort these matters out with MU on the OP's behalf; those are the rules to which they agreed. I would MUCH rather Orbitz sorted something like this out, even if I had to spend an hour on the phone with them going through various levels of management, then wasting a second of my time dealing with MU.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Here is the plan. They are going to take the same outbound flight today as scheduled. I will spend the next 2 weeks figuring this out with orbitz.

Last night, I spent 3+ hours on the phone with Orbitz and got nowhere. I was ping ponged to what seemed like every country besides an English speaking one. Perhaps I made it to both China and Indonesia last night! An Orbitz agent in one country even spent 5 minutes telling another Orbitz agent in anotger that she was from Orbitz transferring the call. Since neither spoke the same first language, it was quite an impressive feat.

Does anyone know how to reach a USA or Canada based Orbitz manager?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by keloutwest
Does anyone know how to reach a USA or Canada based Orbitz manager?
It's clearly time for you to start using words like "legal", "law suit", and "attorney general" during your next round of phone calls. Doing this will get them to pay attention to you. They might end up having to buy tickets on a different airline, but that's their problem, not yours.

If you stay the course, I'm 100% confident that things will work out in the end.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

I'll give it a try later in the week and report back. Is there a specific rule/law I can cite that would mean something to them? Or should I just say 'It's an IATA convention that states It's the booking agent not the carrier that's responsible"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.