Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best SkyTeam lounge in JFK T1?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Best SkyTeam lounge in JFK T1?

What is the best lounge in JFK T1: Air France, Alitalia, or Korean?

I will be flying Alitalia in J and have Delta GM, so should be able to access any of those lounges. I will have 2 travel companions, who do not have any SkyTeam status.

Thanks
Old May 30, 2012, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Inconclusive unless you can be more specific about what you want. An advantage of Alitalia would be that you wouldn't miss any announcements about your flight and would be there if IROPs are announced. Personally I tend to prefer the style of AF F&B, but YMMV.

Note that KE belongs to Priority Pass.

Note also that Oasis is land side in T4 and wonderful.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:36 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
All three lounges are fairly tired. I like AF's F+B offerings the best. I don't think any carrier has put much capex into any of their T1 lounges since they opened.

In general, I'd go with my carrier's lounge at T1, for the reasons MSPE cited.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: Delta GM, ST E+, SPG Gold
Last Summer, I flew JFK-CDG on AF. I purposely gave myself a three hour connection at JFK as to check out the three SkyTeam lounges (AF, AZ and KE) in T1. Being a DL GM (STE+), I assumed I was entitled to entry in all three lounges, here's what I experienced:

AZ lounge was closed (surprise)....

KE lounge attendant took one look at my boarding pass and denied my entrance since I was flying AF. The dragon informed me that only KE passengers may enter and use their facilities. Is this common practice? According the the SkyTeam website, all Elite + members are allowed to use ALL ST lounges....

AF lounge was great! A little crowded, afterall, it was filled with A380 passengers, hence the volume of people. The food and beverage options are quite good and after securing a seat, I enjoyed myself. I did not venture to the 2nd level (upstairs). Good atmosphere, lots periodicals, so I was happy.

Anyone else have better luck with the KE lounge dragons? Is that a legit policy to deny non-KE passengers access to their lounge?
Old May 31, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
About a year ago, I got into the KE lounge at NRT before a DL flight, although I didn't stay long. They reminded me that there were DL lounges closer to my gate, but I got in as a DM/ SC member traveling DL TPAC in BE. I don't remember them taking a photocopy of my boarding pass or card as the AF lounge at NRT does.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:10 am

Programs: DL,AA SPG Plat
I spent time in all of them in Dec. Heres my breakdown

AF- the best real food selection- sandwiches and the like
AZ- nice drink and snack selection
KE- Not worth a visit. Minimal food and beverage
Oasis- The best of AF and AZ nice food real and snack as well as good beer and liquor selection.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by bfxfd
I spent time in all of them in Dec. Heres my breakdown

AF- the best real food selection- sandwiches and the like
AZ- nice drink and snack selection
KE- Not worth a visit. Minimal food and beverage
Oasis- The best of AF and AZ nice food real and snack as well as good beer and liquor selection.
Note that Oasis is in T4, land side.

There are also SkyTeam lounges (plural) in T2/3, DL SCs, but these are clearly inferior to Oasis. If flying DL from T2/3, I try the lounge closest to my gate; if it's impossibly crowded, I investigate other SCs if I have time before departure. Note that they do not all keep the same opening hours.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jun 12, 2012 at 10:59 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz FS, SPG Plt, HH Gold
Originally Posted by upgradeluvr
Last Summer, I flew JFK-CDG on AF. I purposely gave myself a three hour connection at JFK as to check out the three SkyTeam lounges (AF, AZ and KE) in T1. Being a DL GM (STE+), I assumed I was entitled to entry in all three lounges, here's what I experienced:

AZ lounge was closed (surprise)....

KE lounge attendant took one look at my boarding pass and denied my entrance since I was flying AF. The dragon informed me that only KE passengers may enter and use their facilities. Is this common practice? According the the SkyTeam website, all Elite + members are allowed to use ALL ST lounges....

AF lounge was great! A little crowded, afterall, it was filled with A380 passengers, hence the volume of people. The food and beverage options are quite good and after securing a seat, I enjoyed myself. I did not venture to the 2nd level (upstairs). Good atmosphere, lots periodicals, so I was happy.

Anyone else have better luck with the KE lounge dragons? Is that a legit policy to deny non-KE passengers access to their lounge?
Out of the three in T1, I prefer the AF lounge; decent food, drinks, etc. And yes, it can definitely get crowded.

I have also experienced issues with KE lounge gatekeepers at T1. They don't seem to understand SkyTeam partner agreements or choose not to understand them. Either way, the lounge is a decent alternative if AF is too crowded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.