Lounge privacy

Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Lounge privacy

While this does not pertain directly to the Delta SkyClub I wanted to share this story anyway. As a Delta GM member I deceided to take advantage of the new China Southern Sky Pearl Lounge in Guangzhou, China. For those who are not aware as of last September China Southern is now a part of SkyTeam. I opted to use the showers in the club as I still had another leg to fly to Bangkok. The shower room BTW was out of this world, very nice with every ammentity a flyer would need (listerine, exfoilating cleanser, cucumber and green tea shampoo) and a huge glass shower, granite lavatory and 1 peice Kohler toilet.

After I got out of the shower I was looking into the mirror over the lavatory sink and noticed a red light in the center lower part of the mirror from inside the mirror. I looked closer and could easily see the outline of a 6" x 6" monitor (maybe camera) above the red light inside the mirror. It then became obvious that this was a 2 way mirror.

Now this really doesn't bother me, truthfully I expect this sort of thing from certain countries I visit but as a SkyTeam member one would think that there are certain practices an airline would have to follow in order to wear this badge. It makes much more sense to put a camera outside the entrance to the shower room to see who comes and goes, but even then this was a private shower that the staff had to unlock for me to gain entrance. It's not like anybody could just walk into the shower room without the staff knowing.

Anyway that's my story, it happened February 7th 2012.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President Circle
That's kinda creepy. For some reason, I don't think the camera was there for security reasons...

I too, would think that the airlines (international in nature) need to uphold some general best practices.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 6:19 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Could you describe a bit more the 6x6 monitor? I ask because what you describe could be consistent with a mirror heater (designed to keep a face-sized portion of the mirror steam-free).
Old Feb 19, 2012, 7:24 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I'm thinking there is some other explanation here.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Could it have been a motion detector sensor to turn off the lights and water when no one is in the room?
Old Feb 19, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by cameronalexander

Now this really doesn't bother me, truthfully I expect this sort of thing from certain countries I visit but as a SkyTeam member one would think that there are certain practices an airline would have to follow in order to wear this badge. It makes much more sense to put a camera outside the entrance to the shower room to see who comes and goes, but even then this was a private shower that the staff had to unlock for me to gain entrance. It's not like anybody could just walk into the shower room without the staff knowing.

Anyway that's my story, it happened February 7th 2012.
I have no idea what this means; there is no correlation between being in Sky Team and the quality of the lounges; Delta is an obvious example with horrible, overcrowded, poor stocked day care centers. You really think KE/CZ/etc enjoy associating themselves with that? Or do you think they just accept this is part of partnering with (awful) US airlines?
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: DL DM, EY Plat, MM Senator
Originally Posted by bennos
Could you describe a bit more the 6x6 monitor? I ask because what you describe could be consistent with a mirror heater (designed to keep a face-sized portion of the mirror steam-free).
This is the most logical explanation to me (at least I would like to believe it more than the alternative). The mirror heater mats are very common, and some have LED lights. There are all kinds of them, 6x6, 12x12, built-in, glue-on, etc.

And if there were indeed a 2-way mirror/surveillance device there, wouldn't it be more logical to install it in a more clandestine way and without LED lights?
Old Feb 19, 2012, 2:39 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

Originally Posted by cameronalexander
While this does not pertain directly to the Delta SkyClub I wanted to share this story anyway. As a Delta GM member I deceided to take advantage of the new China Southern Sky Pearl Lounge in Guangzhou, China. For those who are not aware as of last September China Southern is now a part of SkyTeam.
Thank you for sharing your story.

Because of the reasons posted by you, the more appropriate forum is the SkyTeam forum, which is now the new home for this thread.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta SkyMiles forum
Old Feb 19, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Or do you think they just accept this is part of partnering with (awful) US airlines?
All three alliances have to accept that they have to partner with (awful) US member carriers.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Firstly it was in all likelihood a heater or a motion sensor.

Secondly, CZ has been a member of Skyteam for at least 5 years if not more.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It could be one of those new built-in TV inside the mirror. The red light is there to show Standby status. I have seen it in some St Regis and other high end properties. If that is the case, there should be a TV remote available somewhere.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:57 pm

Programs: FB, MM, QM, ES, KF & LP / HH, HGP & SPG
Indeed, CZ has been a ST member from November 2007 (CI joined last September - you must be mistaking the airline). The thing OP is talking about would have to be a motion sensor

Last edited by 31dany; Feb 21, 2012 at 12:50 am
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by TerryK
It could be one of those new built-in TV inside the mirror. The red light is there to show Standby status. I have seen it in some St Regis and other high end properties. If that is the case, there should be a TV remote available somewhere.
That was my first thought as well.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 1:07 pm

My guess is that there's a built in de-mister/de-fogger.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1k, AAvantage, Skymiles
jkolb

Could this be a tv? Was at a hotel - name now escaping me - with a small TV behind the mirrow in the bathroom.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.