Search

Skyteam too focused on China??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2011, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB GOLD, ST ElitePlus, IC Ambassador, Priority Club Platinum
Skyteam too focused on China??

Hi

Just wanted some opinions. I know Chinas aviation is going to boom even more over the next decade, but my question is, does anyone else think they are focusing too much on China?? New members, new routes, etc etc?? If there focus is so much on China does this mean less focus on attractng members in other areas?? For instance I just read a new article stating 'Air France in talks with Full Service and LCC airlines in India!' As far as I know that's not new talks it seems they have been talking for years??

What are peoples opinions... are Skyteam too focused on China?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 3:10 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
IMHO ST is making an excellent investment in the future. Adding China's airlines is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I doubt that they neglect other countries due to being busy with China. There are just not many good options around.
That said, from a consumer point of view it would be better to have more competition in China.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:27 am

Programs: FB, MM, QM, ES, KF & LP / HH, HGP & SPG
Well, my opinion would be that ST is doing great in attracting Chinese carriers. China is one of the major powerhouses for some years now and this interest is something that we should encourage. ST is aiming to sign deals with many future powerful countries that will lead the way in the foreseeable future: Mexico, Russia, China, Indonesia.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
China was the most obvious place to go after new members, given how few unaligned carriers remain. Once the whole AI/9W vs. *A vs. ST thing is finally settled (I'm beginning to wonder if that will happen in my lifetime, and I'm only 29), the Middle East will probably be the last bastion of unaligned carriers. ST has picked up carriers from the region, but, ugh, who wants to fly SV?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:27 am
Suspended

Do Focus on China

Originally Posted by SeeTheWorld1984
Hi

Just wanted some opinions. I know Chinas aviation is going to boom even more over the next decade, but my question is, does anyone else think they are focusing too much on China?? New members, new routes, etc etc?? If there focus is so much on China does this mean less focus on attractng members in other areas?? For instance I just read a new article stating 'Air France in talks with Full Service and LCC airlines in India!' As far as I know that's not new talks it seems they have been talking for years??

What are peoples opinions... are Skyteam too focused on China?
DL is doing the right thing with the China focus. Just think where this country will be in a decade on the aviation front.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by SeeTheWorld1984
For instance I just read a new article stating 'Air France in talks with Full Service and LCC airlines in India!' As far as I know that's not new talks it seems they have been talking for years??
All alliances are talking for years with Indian carriers. Everything is very complicated there. Look at Air India and *A
Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
As other posters have said, I think the focus on China makes sense, given the way that aviation is expanding there.

Personally, I think the other 'gap' (in addition to India - which Goldorak has already mentioned) is Africa. Many African countries have growing economies, surface transport connections are often weak, and there is increasing demand for aviation. ST already has a reasonable presence in Africa (one African carrier in KQ, and good links to Europe with AF/KL, plus a few connections by other carriers). However, *A now has 3 African carriers (SA, ET and MS). My recommendation would be for ST to take up a strong carrier from western Africa (not sure who, though) to complement KQ's presence in the east, and AF/KL's connections to Europe.

However, I've no idea how actual/potential traffic to/within Africa compares to traffic in the other regions that have been mentioned....
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Definitely a smart choice but ST needs to do a lot to boost its regional credibility in Asia, where *A, and even OW, is stronger. Not sure promotion can fix it either-a lot has to do with the image of Vietnam Airlines and China Southern. I personally don't buy into a SGN or CAN connection even though I've done it without mishap a few times-it doesn't seem as appealing as established hubs to me.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 1:38 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ DM+, CX DM, LH SEN
Absolutely agree that it makes sense to look to China for new members considering the potential for growth in the coming years. I think they might have tapped the well dry as they've already recruited two of the major mainland arlines in MU and CZ.

I would like to see them now focus on different regions such as the Middle East and South America where they have no coverage.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Studio54
Absolutely agree that it makes sense to look to China for new members considering the potential for growth in the coming years. I think they might have tapped the well dry as they've already recruited two of the major mainland arlines in MU and CZ.

I would like to see them now focus on different regions such as the Middle East and South America where they have no coverage.
ME, SV, and AR will add the coverage you request. I can't comment on the first or the last, but I'm not impressed with the addition of SV. I flew them in J on LHR-RUH-LHR and found it to be far from enjoyable.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:01 am

Programs: KL Life Platinum, QF Platinum, OZ Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Skyteam's strategy on China, I think, is brilliant !!
Most airlines when they join an alliance, tend to stick to the alliance for a long, long time ... so by freezing out the competition, Skyteam has done exceptionally well ...

Star Alliance and OneWorld are still wishing that they could have acted sooner on China before the main players are snapped up ...

Skyteam's focus on emerging economies is part of their biggest recruitment plan since they captured NW, CO and KL back then ... they targetted airlines based in mega-economies such as China, India, Brazil, Russia, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, etc.

They've now close to getting Garuda Indonesia, Saudi Arabian Airlines, Aerolinas Argentinas, etc adding to Vietnam Airlines ... which is pretty close to an idealistic scenarios as they can get to the emerging economies focus ...

I can see some blank stares when Saudi Arabian Airlines is mentioned ...
But realizing that Emirates, Etihad and Qatar Airlines are too arrogant for alliances, coupled with the fact that Turkish and Egypt Air were already taken, Saudi Arabian does not seem a bad choice connecting across the Arabian regions ...

For those willing to only fly their respective alliances, in this case, Skyteam, Saudi Arabian can provide the necessary connections 4+ hours around the gulf ... although I personally would think twice flying Saudi Arabian trans-continental or inter-continental ... but I do hope that the quality and service does improve in the future ... just as Garuda had improved ...
Old Dec 16, 2011, 3:31 pm

As a frequent China traveller (from Europe to Shanghai) I have to say there are many Skyteam options BUT the quality is very very variable. China Eastern (never again!) without screens in eco, China good but not always the same service, AF ok but def not the newest planes which ends up with me flying either Hainan (no alliance, good service in business), AF cause well I have a thing for the camemberts ;-) or Aeroflot through Moscow - you'll never get more value for money!

=> Focus not only on expansion but also on uniform STANDARDS and quality...
Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Agree with many comments here, while it seems like there is a big focus by ST in China, it was good to get MU and CI while they could. MU particularly was a big win, as CI was previously already a partner. But wise yes, the future of a lot of things is in China.

Now, if DL would amend their ridiculous redemption levels in Asia, especially china.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.