Search

China Eastern Skyteam Lounge Access?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz FS, SPG Plt, HH Gold
China Eastern Skyteam Lounge Access?

Hello,

Just wanted to get insight from FTers about a discussion I just had with a Delta rep. I called to confirm whether Skyteam Elite+ members when flying international economy on China Eastern Airlines would receive Skyteam lounge access at JFK Terminal 1.

Her answer after checking with her supervisor was no. Her explanation was that China Eastern is only a partial member of Skyteam (so one can accrue MQMs, etc. but not access Skyteam lounges...). She pointed me to the Delta website that does not show China Eastern Airlines as a Skyteam partner yet: https://www.delta.com/planning_reser...ance/index.jsp

However, the Skyteam website seems to say differently. First, China Eastern appears to be a "full" member on http://www.skyteam.com/en/About-us/Our-members/. Second, based on the press release on the Skyteam website it appears the China Eastern benefits should be effective immediately: http://www.skyteam.com/About-us/Pres...Joins-SkyTeam/

Has anyone had recent experience with this issue? And more importantly, can Skyteam Elite+ flying international economy on China Eastern access Skyteam lounges on the same day as departure?

Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2011, 5:00 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by eyestrain
Her answer after checking with her supervisor was no. Her explanation was that China Eastern is only a partial member of Skyteam
This is just plain wrong. China Eastern is a full skyteam member.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 5:09 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
I agree they just made this up due to a lack of knowledge.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Okay, thanks for the replies.

I'll confirm today when I get to the airport lounge (proof is in the pudding)!
Old Oct 2, 2011, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eyestrain
Okay, thanks for the replies.

I'll confirm today when I get to the airport lounge (proof is in the pudding)!
Just wanted to update with information. Got back from my trip and had mixed results. In JFK, we tried entering in the KAL Lounge in Terminal 1, and the front desk woman did not let us in because she didn't think China Eastern was part of SkyTeam. Unfortunately, she didn't speak English and it wasn't worth arguing with her about so we headed over to the Air France lounge and had no problems.

We also had no problems in Shanghai or Bangkok lounges.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: A3 *G, fmr DL PM
Thanks for the field report. These things seem to happen just about every time a new member joins these alliances. It's gonna take a while for the kinks to get worked out.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, DL Diamond 2MM, PriorityPass, Hilton Honors Silver
I recently traveled 4 segments on China Eastern. As DM, I was able to avail of special check-in counters in Beijing and Kunming. My boarding passes showed my Medallion Elite-Plus status, but there was nothing special. Boarding was the same line for all (including first class) almost always.

During May-June, my non-MQM miles posted quickly and medallion bonus miles were included. When I checked the DL site, I see that post joining Skyteam, the restrictions have changed. No MQM bonus for domestic first class, and no Medallion bonus. Some discounted fare classes earn no MQM. My miles have still not posted after 10 days (my fare class earns 100% MQM per info on DL web site.

Anyone know what MU elites are eligible for when traveling on DL?

Cheers.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 12:36 am

Programs: A3 *G, fmr DL PM
Originally Posted by spc354
I recently traveled 4 segments on China Eastern. As DM, I was able to avail of special check-in counters in Beijing and Kunming. My boarding passes showed my Medallion Elite-Plus status, but there was nothing special. Boarding was the same line for all (including first class) almost always.

During May-June, my non-MQM miles posted quickly and medallion bonus miles were included. When I checked the DL site, I see that post joining Skyteam, the restrictions have changed. No MQM bonus for domestic first class, and no Medallion bonus. Some discounted fare classes earn no MQM. My miles have still not posted after 10 days (my fare class earns 100% MQM per info on DL web site.

Anyone know what MU elites are eligible for when traveling on DL?

Cheers.
DL and ST website has SkyTeam Elite and E+ benefits posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.