Why No SkyTeam Mega DO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why No SkyTeam Mega DO?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2011, 11:24 pm

Programs: AS, SQ, SPG, IHG
If there's any sort of web/tech experience required, or really anything that I might be able to help out with, I would love to help out. I do not believe I have Canarsie's organizational prowess, but I would love to throw myself out there and say that I am interested if an effort does come about, and I'm a willing and able volunteer.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 9:32 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
It would be very nice to have a project like this work!

I think the KLM Miami Party flight is not a right example though, as they mainly did this to make the news. It did, and in that aspect KLM won big time.

With a project like this I suspect KLM would be less willing. Because after all, a flight full of aircraft fanatics is less likely to make the news as a party flight with famous DJ's.

How do the Star DO's finance the chartered flights? Does everybody pay enough to actually pay for the charter in full? Or are parts financed through sponsoring and the like?
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN,DL,AA,UA,B6,more!
Originally Posted by Xandrios

How do the Star DO's finance the chartered flights? Does everybody pay enough to actually pay for the charter in full? Or are parts financed through sponsoring and the like?
I know that the Star Mega DO folks did pay for their seats. I am sure that it was subsidized by some sponsors and whatnot. They are lucky enough to have a hotel group on board too to sweeten the deal.

As I stated I am fine with negotiating a group rate that will still earn us miles. Doesn't have to be some extravagant event in my opinion. I would be happy with some fun flights, OPS tours, and even free days on all the stops.

When I get a little down time I might cook up a proposed itinerary. I dare say if we get enough interest just make a group trip out of it!
Old Sep 10, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Xandrios

I think the KLM Miami Party flight is not a right example though, as they mainly did this to make the news. It did, and in that aspect KLM won big time.

With a project like this I suspect KLM would be less willing. Because after all, a flight full of aircraft fanatics is less likely to make the news as a party flight with famous DJ's.
Sure, a party flight catches the media attention more easily. However, you forget that it was originally and primarily a social networking event. KLM got completely hooked up only once the party community got the flight full within a short amount of time. So with a little bit of creativity on our and the participating airlines side the ST Mega DO could have a similar impact. Take a look on KL's facebook page - every other post is from someone who almost got an orgasm from flying with KLM and enjoying their service Get those folks compete for two tickets on this event and you get their attention. Similar thing holds for other ST airlines.

You need someone famous to make it more pallatable for the airlines? Well get someone for at least one leg of the trip. For instance, for DUB-CDG Gerard Depardieu comes to my mind :-D
But perhaps I am thinking too much out of the box...
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:12 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by foofiter
I know that the Star Mega DO folks did pay for their seats. I am sure that it was subsidized by some sponsors and whatnot. They are lucky enough to have a hotel group on board too to sweeten the deal.

As I stated I am fine with negotiating a group rate that will still earn us miles. Doesn't have to be some extravagant event in my opinion. I would be happy with some fun flights, OPS tours, and even free days on all the stops.

When I get a little down time I might cook up a proposed itinerary. I dare say if we get enough interest just make a group trip out of it!
The SMD rates are not subsidized. The sponsors do provide major events and give out very nice mileage bonuses, but CO/UA does not discount the charter. SMD 3 was originally supposed to go to Brazil, but UA botched the initial pricing and the charter to Brazil and back would have been way too much.

That said, OW and *A have a selection of carriers that are truly world class, maintain higher standards, and aren't afraid to drop prospective members (*A kicked out Varig, so it does happen) or deny entry.

Skyteam on the other hand seems to let anyone in; seriously, Middle East, Aerolineas, Vietnam Airlines. They seem to be lacking in the quality department. Granted ST does have AF, KE, and AZ, but that's where the highlights end IMHO.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Perhaps we can call it the SkyTeam Minor DO

I'd be willing to help out...
Old Sep 15, 2011, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bennos
Perhaps we can call it the SkyTeam Minor DO

I'd be willing to help out...
LOL.

Great!

Against all the naysayers I am will to make my own attempt at this:

Initial thoughts:

- Sept/Oct 2012 date (allows plenty of time for planning and arrangements, good weather)
- Going for a group rate flights and hotels, hopefully T fare or equivalent. Mileage earning of course
- Maybe not a Mega DO but just a fun group trip.
- Going to try to line up ops tours if possible

Questions/Comments:

- Where would you like to go?
- Need suggestions of what you would like to see/do?
- How much would you be willing to spend?

My suggested Routing:

1. Begin in ATL (DL ops tour/event?)
2. Next stop CDG/AMS (AF or KL Ops tour?)
3. Next stop ICN (???)
4. End in LAX (or ATL)?

Ideally I would like to do mixed metal:

ATL - Europe DL/AF/KL
Europe - ICN: KE/AF/KL
ICN - USA: KE/DL

Depending on how much time people would like to dedicate I would want to build in a couple free days. Say 1 in Paris/Amsterdam and 1 in South Korea.

If I get more feedback on routing we can hammer out a more defined schedule.

Foo
Old Sep 15, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat
My personal route would be to go from East to West to avoid endless redeyes.

CDG-ATL is always easier than ATL-CDG (assuming same class in each direction)
Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

I am ok with going east first. I was thinking redeyes in the interest of saving time and hotel costs since you can be moving while you sleep.

But I am flexible in the end it doesn't matter a whole lot to me.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 6:46 am

Programs: Many
I personaly enjoy a Skyteam do every time AF busses me around CDG from the gate to the aircraft and vice versa.

Just kidding. I would like the idea.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 3:37 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
I like the idea, too.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
^^^^^
Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:25 pm

- Sept/Oct 2012 date (allows plenty of time for planning and arrangements, good weather)

If this is when it goes down, count me in.

Something along the lines of ICN-SGN/TPE/PVG/CAN-CDG/AMS-JFK/ATL-MEX would be awesome.

KE for leg 1
AF/KL for leg 2
DL leg 3
AM leg 4
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tc_jedi
If this is when it goes down, count me in.

Something along the lines of ICN-SGN/TPE/PVG/CAN-CDG/AMS-JFK/ATL-MEX would be awesome.

KE for leg 1
AF/KL for leg 2
DL leg 3
AM leg 4
Good idea!

All of the Asian stops you listed except for ICN and TPE require a visa in advance to visit. TPE would be neat. I have never been there personally.

Adding MEX to the mix would be good too!

Foo
Old Sep 29, 2011, 3:31 am

Good idea!

All of the Asian stops you listed except for ICN and TPE require a visa in advance to visit. TPE would be neat. I have never been there personally.

Adding MEX to the mix would be good too!

Foo
The the visa for China is a killer but the visa for Vietnam is a joke. You can get an "e-visa" on arrival by registering online in advance for about $20 (lower if there's a large group), printing out the document they email you and paying $25 when you land. The whole process is pretty efficient and takes about 20 minutes in the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.