Wiki Posts
Search

SkyMiles or SkyPass if trying to achieve Lifetime Elite

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Accors Gold
Question SkyMiles or SkyPass if trying to achieve Lifetime Elite

If I were to collect SkyTeam mileage only in interest of Life Time status of SkyTeam Elite Plus, should I continue with my DL SkyMiles which I have about 188k lifetime mileage or make a new account with KE SkyPass and start aiming for Morning Calm Premium Club? If I stay with DL I still have about 800k to reach lifetime Silver Medallion and 1.8M for Gold Medallion but if I switch to KE, I can reach ST Elite Plus with 500k and they count KE and ST partners operated flight. I am currently 1MM with AAdvantage and working my way for 2MM. Majority of my flying is done on OW carriers but I do have occasional DL and other ST flights. I live in the US so I rarely have a chance to fly KE but will it be worth it to start a new SkyPass account? I strongly think that I should start a new KE account but I just wanted to ask for some ST regulars' opinions.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 1:09 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
You could also go for Flying Blue (Air France, KLM and some other airlines).
With Flying Blue you need 70k per year on any Skyteam airline to reach Platinum status (= Skyteam elite plus).
After 10 consecutive years with Platinum status you get status for life.

Whether this makes sense for you depends on the booking classes you typically fly with. Flying Blue gives you less miles for low Economy classes than Delta does. On the other hand, I think that KE is meaner when it comes to the amount of miles you get. So you should consider Flying Blue an option.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 2:41 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
I think regardless of the 'meanness' of KE in giving miles, the difference between accumulating 500k on KE and 1.8 million on DL for lifetime ST E+ speaks for itself.

The only caveats would be:
- being in the US, you can get the DL Platinum or Reserve Amex which gets you MQMs based on spend; and
- DL is supposedly reintroducing the old Perkchoice which NW had i.e. you can use points plus pay for your tickets. If they do, and if they let you earn MQMs on such tickets, that will allow you to recycle points earned from non-air sources towards lifetime status (although not as easily or directly as you currently can on AA).
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, FB Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Smile

I would have to say delta for the following reasons.
While your on the way to get Lifetime Elite Plus in order to become a KE Morning Clam member you are required to fly atleast 20K a year on KE to become a KE Morning Calm Member.
KE Elite doesn't get you free baggage on Delta where as DL Elite does.
KE Elite doesn't accumulate certain class on KLM or Air France such as T but Delta Does
However, once your achieve KE Elite Plus status you will get all that but again you will have to obtain 500K
So if you don't care about reaching ST-Elite benifits before reaching ST-Elite Plus I would suggest staying on DL
It's the same concept of why people don't take advantage of OA or Ageian Airlines to achieve *G or *S
Hope this helps.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: LH Sen, Skyteam Elite
I agree with the comments of others; if you don't live in Asia achieving KE Elite Plus status is really difficult unless you fly full-fare and business most of the time. Only few economy subclasses on Skyteam partners accrue miles. One of the useful features of the program is that the Elite Plus status is valid for 2 years and it is easy to achieve it.
Old May 1, 2011, 6:41 am

Programs: KL Life Platinum, QF Platinum, OZ Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
If your choices are DL and KE, then I would recommend DL, for the reason that miles accural for KE is rather challenging. Most of the common economy miles are less than 100%. 100% economy miles are very pricey.

If you do not restrict to these two choices, the KL would be a good alternative, as other have pointed out.
Old May 11, 2011, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL PM, BA Gold, UA Gold, Bonvoy LT PLT
I am actually having the same dilemma (I am a US based flyer). I have about 120K on DL and 20K on KE lifetime EQMs. KE does have a US-based credit card which can help to earn RDMs and to the best of my knowledge all DL economy fare classes earn 100% on Skypass. My main concern is that at some point down the road KE will change the program.

My short-term plan is to keep collecting on Skypass until I have enough miles for a First or Business TPAC redemption (currently have about 85K RDMs), then re-evaluate.
Old May 15, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: Qantas WP, Hyatt Plat., SPG Plat., Hilton Diamond
Sorry to borrow your thread. Just to ask if I sign up for dl skymiles is there any segment I need to fly only on delta to get the elite? Like ow qantas u need four segments beside the status credit u earned.
Old May 16, 2014, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
No, and your foreign address exempts you from the MQD requirement, so you just need either status miles (MQMs in Delta-speak) or segments (MQSs) to qualify.

However, for those with USA addresses who don't get the AmEx spend waiver for MQDs, note that it can be hard to get MQDs from partner flights. (A lot depends on whether it's a codeshare, what partner operates the flight, and whether the ticket is 006 stock.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.