SkyTeam Mileage Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyTeam Mileage Question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2011, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
SkyTeam Mileage Question

I am flying LCA-AMS-JFK-BDL. LCA-AMS is a KLM code share with Cyprus Airways. AMS-JFK is KLM and JFK-BDL is DL. I am a DL DM. I know that the KLM flight over the water will give me MQMs, but the LCA-AMS flight will not get me mileage credit with DL.

I already have a SunMiles account with Cyprus Airways. I do not have a FF mileage account with KLM.

Would it be more beneficial to use my SunMiles account for the miles on this trip or should I open a mileage account with KLM? Most likely I will be on these kinds of flights at least once a year.

I do have a concern about using the SunMiles account to accumulate mileage - CY was just saved from going under by an influx of money from the Cyprus gov. and their mileage expires after 1 year even if you are adding miles to the account by flying during the year.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Sounds like CY might not be a good place to accrue the miles. I'd check the FB earning table and see what credit you'd even get. Might be zip or next to it if you're on a deeply discounted fare. I'd almost be inclined to accrue to CY on the LCA-AMS segment and then see if they can change the FF# to DL for the remainder once you get to AMS.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Good thing you mentioned to do this. I just checked and now I am concerned that I am not even going to get DL miles on the AMS-JFK leg. I was originally flying on a DL flight on an M fare upgraded to BE using an SWU. Schedule change forced me onto a KLM flight (not a codeshare). Now the flight is coded O and according to DL earns no miles with DL. Would original routing mileage request work in this situation?

I can't find anything on klm.com under Flying Blue that says anything about codeshares. CY is not a SkyTeam partner. I can't find an FB earning table. LCA-AMS is an M fare. All I can find is something called Miles Finder, which does not address class of service (M) or airline.

The flights are already associated with my DL FF#. CY doesn't do after the fact (after flying) mileage credits (at least not when I asked) - you have to have the SunMiles number assigned to your itinerary before you fly. Sometimes they don't even want to do it when you check in. They are not always the easiest people to deal with.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
Would original routing mileage request work in this situation?
Yes. You can forget everything else, cos it won't work.

PS. Have a nice flight!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 3:14 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
I can't find anything on klm.com under Flying Blue that says anything about codeshares. CY is not a SkyTeam partner. I can't find an FB earning table. LCA-AMS is an M fare. All I can find is something called Miles Finder, which does not address class of service (M) or airline.
On the KLM website you actually have to go to the 'earning on partners' section to find this: https://secure.klm.com/travel/ch_en/...ners/index.htm

M fares will earn 75% with FB.

Originally Posted by KLM website
You can earn Miles on all KLM-coded flights as well as on KLM-operated flights with a Flying Blue partner prefix.
On KLM it is any KL ticketed flight that will earn FB miles (, including non SkyTeam codeshares such as CY. On DL only codeshares on ST will earn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.