Search

Best Rewards Program out of Melbourne, AUS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond thru Feb 2012
Best Rewards Program out of Melbourne, AUS

Hi there,

I posted this in another thread, but got no replies so I am trying here...

I am currently a Diamond Medallion member with Delta airlines, but am moving from Canada to Melbourne, Australia in a couple of months. I will continue to travel extensively for work based from Melbourne (to North America, Asia and Europe).

Unfortunately, Delta/Skyteam does not seem to be a viable option and I am facing having to start over with zero status with another carrier/alliance.

Anyone have any suggestions for which carrier to start booking travel with? Which of the airlines out of AUS have the best routes/rewards program for what I will be doing? Any shot at matching status and if so, with who?

Any suggestions on what my best option is, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Sep 17, 2010, 5:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Well, if you really focus on Australia, you should decide whether you enrol with Qantas' or Virgin's (Velocity) programme. Now both offer flights to North America. To Europe and Asia Qantas definitely offers more options, also due to their Oneworld partners.

But as you're posting in the Skyteam forum, you seem to consider other Skyteam airlines. I'm sorry to say that none is really good for Australia. Other than DL there is KE operating to Australia, but again rather little on offer.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:58 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
The question is what are you looking for? Will you be flying mainly in business or economy? Will there be any domestic or primarily international? Do you want status for lounge access, or faster points earnings to redeem?

In addition to Delta and Korean, Skyteam from Melbourne also offers Vietnam Airlines and China Southern (and from mid-2011, China Eastern). If your move is only a temporary one, that way you can maintain status for when you return to Canada. Although it has been initially rejected by regulators, Virgin Blue is pushing to have their joint venture with Delta approved which, if it was, would mean you earn DL miles on domestic Virgin Blue flights (not just the MEL-SYD codeshare to get you to DL's SYD-LAX).

If mainly flying business, picking Qantas is probably your best bet as it is one of the fastest ways to earn status when flying that class of most airlines, and the most local earning opportunities. However, they don't status match and redeeming their points (at least for long haul business class) can be a challenge. If redemptions are important to you, I'd pick American Airlines and credit all your OW flights there. You can also do a Gold or Platinum status challenge on AA metal to get status before you move (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-platinum.html). Although note, redemptions ex-Australia will still be a challenge because, in one word, Qantas.

If you're flying economy internationally and lounge access is your main goal, Star Alliance has a couple of programs where it is relatively easy to reach Gold (Aegean, Asiana and Turkish Airlines) and you'd very quickly be there.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Just get a status match to Continental or United, and start as a Gold Elite/Premier Executive.

Dont tell them you moved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.