Wiki Posts
Search

SkyMiles or FlyingBlue?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2010, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

SkyMiles or FlyingBlue?

Hi all -

I'm based in Washington DC and will soon be relocating to France. I'm a Delta SkyMiles member (Gold) and am wondering when I relocate to France, should I switch over to Flying Blue or stick with SkyMiles? They're all part of the SkyTeam so does it really matter?

I fly Air France a lot, and will be doing more of that when I relocate.

Thx, .lou
Old May 20, 2010, 2:12 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi Smokeking,

Welcome to FT!

A few questions for you:

(1) are you relocating permanently or just for a few years? (if temporarily, stick with DL and work towards lifetime status)

(2) do you mostly fly business or coach? If flying coach on discounted fares, SM is the better programme

(3) the advantage of FB is the lower threshold for lounge access, you only need gold status. However, if you provide a french address, you get hit by the higher French thresholds to reach Gold.

So gives us a bit more info about your flying profile, and you will get a more complete answer.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old May 21, 2010, 1:48 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
(2) Depending on the number of segments. When flying many short-haul segments (30 to be precise) one can get Gold with FB in under 5000 qualifying miles. Even if those are on discounted fares :-)
Old May 21, 2010, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or spread your eggs into two different baskets....
Old May 22, 2010, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks all!

I'll be in France for only 2 years. My profile will be likely once a month back to the US (Nantes through CDG through USA) and maybe once a month through the EU.

I mostly fly coach on discounted fares, however, the company has no policy on fare level. Try to keep it cheap is what they say but if only high level fares are available, c'est la vie.

...lou
Old May 23, 2010, 2:10 am

Programs: FB Gold, IC Gold Amb, Le Club Plat.
You need to check with SM, i am elite+ of FB, and every Flt on AF is count as Flt segment.
So easier to complete level threshold than other airlines!
Old May 26, 2010, 2:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I am DL Platinum, my spouse is AF Gold. Between them the DL options are generally better, and the special deals are more frequent. We both prefer to fly AF, and AF status works better than does ST status, but there's not huge difference. On balance, we both fly about half DL, half AF.

I'd tend to stay with where you already have status. I have two elite statuses on OW and I'm actively trying to move to one. Whatever reason seems to have made sense at the time did not later.
Old May 27, 2010, 1:37 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi lou,

Originally Posted by smokeking
I'll be in France for only 2 years. My profile will be likely once a month back to the US (Nantes through CDG through USA) and maybe once a month through the EU.
For 2 years, I would not bother opening a Flying Blue account. Stay with SkyMiles. At least, you will continue earning towards your lifetime status with DL.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old May 28, 2010, 4:34 am

Becareful with discounted Code Share Flights

Discounted flights booked on a Delta ticket (regardless of actual carrier) earn 100% FF miles and MQMs. The same flight when booked through another carrier (CSA, AF/KLM, etc) might not earn 100%. It may even earn 0 miles.

Check the booking code very carefully. Delta has all the information about booking classes and earning miles on its website under partner airlines.

One example would be an AF operated flight from JFK - CDG. Book the discounted fare on DL, you earn 100%. On AF, you get 25%. Similarly book a DL flight on an AF ticket, you might only receive 25%.
Old May 30, 2010, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks mc40648 - great info.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Originally Posted by mc40638
Discounted flights booked on a Delta ticket (regardless of actual carrier) earn 100% FF miles and MQMs. The same flight when booked through another carrier (CSA, AF/KLM, etc) might not earn 100%. It may even earn 0 miles.

Check the booking code very carefully. Delta has all the information about booking classes and earning miles on its website under partner airlines.

One example would be an AF operated flight from JFK - CDG. Book the discounted fare on DL, you earn 100%. On AF, you get 25%. Similarly book a DL flight on an AF ticket, you might only receive 25%.
This dilemma actually came up when I flew KL MNL-AMS-TXL and back last month. The booking class on Flying Blue will only give me 25% mileage, but it gives me 100% on Skymiles. Delta gave me 100%.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Funny, I'm reading this in the AF lounge at DXB. I was very surprised to hear they allow entry to DL GMs because they are ST Elite+. I thought it was only for PM/DM.

MY IMHO is stick with DL if you only plan for this to be short-term, even more so if they will give you lounge access. Obviously things could change but based on the here and now, you might have the best of both worlds working your status on DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.