Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Blue or Skymiles?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2009, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), PC Platinum, HH Gold
Flying Blue or Skymiles?

I have booked a BKK-TPE return in KLM business class and this will be my first flight with Skyteam. I cannot see me having too many more flights with KLM or Skyteam (including Delta) but it would be a shame to waste any miles from flying.

Which frequent flyer program would be the best option? Yes I know it is not an easy question but any information would be greatly appreciated. It would appear that Skymiles have more hotel partners so I could top up the account that way.

P.S I have posted the same question in the Flying Blue forum and was told to post here as well so I hope I am not breaking the cross posting rules....
Old Nov 20, 2009, 7:29 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
I'd say go with Skymiles:

- recent changes to Flying Blue have supposedly gutted the program
- Skymiles has relatively high redemption levels which has devalued their points, but one activity every 2 years keeps them valid
- your flights would count toward lifetime (MM) status
- if the Delta / Virgin Blue JV gets final approval, it's likely that you can credit eligible Virgin Blue flights to Skymiles
Old Nov 20, 2009, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald), PC Platinum, HH Gold
Thanks for the reply.

That sounds like good advice. I had totally forgotten about the Delta --> Virgin Blue agreement. As a Qantas Platinum I do not fly on Virgin Blue that often but I do fly with them when Qantas is considerably more expensive.

I think most of the answers I have had confirm my suspicion that SkyMiles would suit me better than Flying Blue.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 6:40 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Delta has this for Asia/ Pacific residents only:
https://www.delta.com/skymiles/buy_t..._miles/faq.jsp
as well as the normal transfers where the outrageous transfer fees are often compensated by a bonus of SkyMiles for the receiver (50% until 29 Dec. 2009.)

Last edited by Brendan; Dec 19, 2009 at 6:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.