Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sixt CPMR Automatic Available?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
Sixt CPMR Automatic Available?

I won a trip to Europe from Lufthansa and included was a 7 day car rental from Sixt. I was wondering if this CPMR class cars have automatic shifting available? It's suppose to be a BMW 1er or Volvo C30. I'm pretty sure that they come in Automatic versions..but not sure whether Sixt has them. I don't know how to drive a stick...but would probably have to learn if it came down to that.

the obvious way to find out is to call..but it's ridiculously expensive to call up Sixt. So i was going to wait until i need to book my car. but it would be great if i could get the answer here.

Thakns
Old Jan 22, 2009, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hyatt-ist, SPG/Marriott Gold
CPMR has a manual transmission. The "CPMR" is a SIPP code describing the car type. The first character, "C", indicates compact. The third character, "M", indicates manual. An automatic of the same specification would be "CPAR".

You can find more details on SIPP codes at: http://www.acriss.org/about_cars/.

Last edited by travelingman79; Jan 22, 2009 at 4:13 pm Reason: Updating URL to authoritative source.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 2:14 am

Programs: LH HON, Discovery Black, IHG Spire, random stuff at Accor, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Hertz, Sixt
They have Volvo C30 in automatic version (had one recently). I would write an email to secure that you get an automatic one (just write them that you are used to automatic shifting).
Old Jan 23, 2009, 2:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by travelingman79
CPMR has a manual transmission. The "CPMR" is a SIPP code describing the car type. The first character, "C", indicates compact. The third character, "M", indicates manual. An automatic of the same specification would be "CPAR".

You can find more details on SIPP codes at: http://www.acriss.org/about_cars/.
Thanks for posting that URL, very informative!
Old Jan 23, 2009, 4:30 am

Programs: LH HON, Discovery Black, IHG Spire, random stuff at Accor, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Hertz, Sixt
Very interesting indeed, but it seems not to apply for Sixt (at least in Germany).

According to the site 'P' stands for "Pick-Up". Cars in the category CPMR are (again at least in Germany) BMW 1, Audi A3 and Volvo C30. None of these is a Pick-Up. I have to admit that I am a bit confused now
Old Jan 23, 2009, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sultanbinaber
They have Volvo C30 in automatic version (had one recently). I would write an email to secure that you get an automatic one (just write them that you are used to automatic shifting).
thanks for your response. At least i know that i won't have to learn how to drive stick shift just for this trip. I'll probably learn eventually though.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 12:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by aaron1262
thanks for your response. At least i know that i won't have to learn how to drive stick shift just for this trip. I'll probably learn eventually though.
Ironically my biggest beef with car rentals in North America is that you can't find a stick shift. I sold my 5-speed Civic two years ago in favour of just renting a car when I need one, and I do honestly miss it. Once you learn stick, it's hard to go back...
Old Jan 30, 2009, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by sultanbinaber
Very interesting indeed, but it seems not to apply for Sixt (at least in Germany).

According to the site 'P' stands for "Pick-Up". Cars in the category CPMR are (again at least in Germany) BMW 1, Audi A3 and Volvo C30. None of these is a Pick-Up. I have to admit that I am a bit confused now
The "P" is a german invention I think. they want to differentiate a golf (cLmr) from an audi a3 or bmw 1series (cPmr). doesnt mean anybody is getting a pickup. Europcar does the same in germany, btw.
I had an a-cklass automatic once, long time ago.
if you rent from an airport and tell them you can only drive automatic they will probalby give you one of the bclass merc with automatic. in smaller stations I am not really sure what they are going to do. havnt seen volvo c30 in a long time at sixt.
if you are lucky they give you a merc c220cdi automatic. but without a sixt card, probably be too much to be asked for.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 1:36 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
Ironically my biggest beef with car rentals in North America is that you can't find a stick shift. I sold my 5-speed Civic two years ago in favour of just renting a car when I need one, and I do honestly miss it. Once you learn stick, it's hard to go back...
Really? I learned driving with a stick shift but I don't miss it when I drive an automatic. Actually the opposite is the case.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the replies. one last question. I'm planning to rent this car in vienna but drive it to Hungary & Slovakia. Can i do that? because it looks like there's some restrictions on the type of car that can cross the borders. I looked up this car class for rental in vienna and looks like they're only BMW. I can simply request the volvo c30 and they'll have it?
Old Feb 25, 2009, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by aaron1262
I'm planning to rent this car in vienna but drive it to Hungary & Slovakia

From the Sixt T&C:

Cross Border Rentals & Territorial Restrictions
Cross Border Rentals are allowed to the following countries:
Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Great Britain, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Cross boarder rentals with Audi, BMW, Mercedes, VW cars as well as Jeeps/Offroader are not allowed to the following countries: Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithunia, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia.
It is also allowed to enter the last-mentioned countries with all vehicles of car groups IVMR, SVMR and FVMR (including all mercedes) and vans.

So if they only rent BMW at this station (what I personally cannot imagine) it will not work...

Greez,
Jonathan
Old Feb 25, 2009, 3:07 pm

Programs: IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, HHonors Gold, Air Berlin Topbonus Gold, Miles & More FT, SIXT Diamond
At arports, they often have BMW 1 with automatic at SIXT.

Best way is to send a friendly email 1-2 weeks prior to your stay directly to the station. I´m pretty sure, they will do you the favor, when they have time to arrange the proper car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.