Lucky dip experiences?

Old Oct 17, 18, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Lucky dip experiences?

I often see the option to choose the 'lucky dip' (CCCC) car category in Europe. I have always been interested in how it works since I only found 1 or 2 reports on this forum. I could understand if it is 'best available on the day' but in fact it means whatever is available on the day so are you likely to get the worst car available (That would suck since it is more expensive than booking the basic categories)?

I am picking up a CCCC in DUB tomorrow for 5 days so will report back what I get. I am Platinum which usually gets me an upgrade in Europe so I don't know if it will mean anything when they allocate a car for lucky dip. Has anyone had any experiences with this category in Europe and can shed some light on what cars to expect? I may use it a lot more in the future if others have had positive experiences.
Old Oct 17, 18, 2:18 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Do you generally see CCCCs being more expensive than the other categories? In most of the instances we've seen, they are usually priced lower than an ECAR, which kind of makes sense, there's a good chance that's what you'll end up with on a CCCC booking.
Old Dec 4, 18, 5:44 am

Really bad experience with CCCC in Portugal.

Paid something like Eur 170 for CCCC and got a ECMR car that should have been around Eur 80 for the hire. Was told no other option available.

For similar/lower price to what I paid, I could have had a better car if I had not chosen CCCC.
Old Dec 4, 18, 5:58 am
Company Representative - Autoslash

Originally Posted by suj999 View Post
Really bad experience with CCCC in Portugal.

Paid something like Eur 170 for CCCC and got a ECMR car that should have been around Eur 80 for the hire. Was told no other option available.

For similar/lower price to what I paid, I could have had a better car if I had not chosen CCCC.
Not sure why you are surprised? Basically, the CCCC option is a free pass for the location to give you whatever they want to get rid of. They call it "Lucky Dip", but generally the only way you'll get lucky is if the location is out of crappy cars and they have to give you something nicer or the counter rep is in a good mood.

Best to assume an ECMR in these cases and count your blessings if you get something better.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.