Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will I get what I booked?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Will I get what I booked?

Booked Sixt rental car through Expedia. Three week rental in Germany.

On Expedia and in confirmation email it says "Luxury Wagon - Audi S6 Avant or similar." It doesn't show any sixt category code (ie I don't see LWMR or other code anywhere). Pretty excited, because the S (or even better RS) Audi wagons were what I always dreamed of driving one day when I was growing up. However, I know the "or similar" often leads to disappointments.

How likely is it that I will actually get an S6 wagon? And what would be considered the "or similar"? Can't be an A6 Wagon since that is clearly a lower category?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:57 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by xy31

On Expedia and in confirmation email it says "Luxury Wagon - Audi S6 Avant or similar." It doesn't show any sixt category code (ie I don't see LWMR or other code anywhere). Pretty excited, because the S (or even better RS) Audi wagons were what I always dreamed of driving one day when I was growing up. However, I know the "or similar" often leads to disappointments.

How likely is it that I will actually get an S6 wagon? And what would be considered the "or similar"? Can't be an A6 Wagon since that is clearly a lower category?
Cant speak what specific makes/models you’re likely get but if you PM us your Sixt conf# and last name we can tell you the exact vehicle class (LWMR for example). Better yet, just use the link below to track it and then PM us and we’ll let you know the code and probably also find a lower rate for you.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Feb 21, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Old Feb 23, 2018, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

OK, so I was able to pull up the vehicle class through the sixt reservation website and on there it shows Audi A6 Avant or similar (class LWAR), which is pretty disappointing. On my booking confirmation it says in various places "Audi S6 Avant or similar". Is there any I can still get an S6? Or is the "or similar" their "get out of jail for free" card? Basically they could give me any wagon and claim its similar?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Next update. Called sixt in Germany. They say we received booking for LWAR from Expedia, so it will be A6 Avant or similar, no chance you will get an S6 with this booking.... ok, I get it, but still... womp womp.

Next, calling Expedia. Never dealt with their customer service, but it sounds like they have received training on how to avoid answering questions that don't give the answer the customer likes.... I mention their confirmation clearly states S6 Avant or similar, is there any way I would actually be able to get an S6 from Sixt? Answer, well they will determine this at the counter and it will definitely be a vehicle for 5 passengers.... Really? "Audi S6 Avant or similar" in Expedia speak means any vehicle that can transport 5 passengers? That is a pretty freaking wide interpretation of "or similar." I am probably going to cancel this reservation since its about the same price I would pay for LWAR on the sixt website.... Expedia doesn't deserve any money for false advertising...
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:05 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Or is the "or similar" their "get out of jail for free" card?
Yes, that. Unless it says make/model guaranteed they can give you what they want/have available. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. That's just the way it works for better or worse.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 7:35 pm

The answer to your question of “Will I get what I booked?” is, Yes, you will. You booked an “S6 or similar”. So, you WILL get what you booked. In my many experiences with Sixt, sometimes similars are disappointing, other times they are great surprises. YMMV.
jackal likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FLYMSY

The answer to your question of “Will I get what I booked?” is, Yes, you will. You booked an “S6 or similar”. So, you WILL get what you booked. In my many experiences with Sixt, sometimes similars are disappointing, other times they are great surprises. YMMV.
Like mentioned above, I guess the "or similar" is very subjective. In expedia's mind apparently it could mean a VW Polo or Golf since that also seats 5 people. By my definition the "or similar" is already not met by substituting an A6 Avant for the S6 Avant (base price of about 40K Euro vs 80K Euro).

Thank you again for enlightening me to the frustrating world of rental car reservations.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
You won't get a S6 for an LWAR booking as they are rare and is only available at specific locations and not for one way and cost a lot more than LWAR ..... a german forum keeps a list of vehicles rented or seen by members in each category.
I always rent directly with sixt as using expedia is normally not cheaper and just adds another layer of possible problems.
a) use [Sammelthread] Contracts / Rabattcodes für SIXT - SIXT - mietwagen-talk.de - Das Mietwagen Forum to see if you can use any of the rebates (using the "log in" at sixt) for me the Hilton Diamond works normally well
b) check sixt.com/sixt.ca/sixt.co.uk/sixt.as for unlimited miles (beside special cars like coupe/convertible/...) and sixt.de as sometimes the $ differes so sixt.co.uk could be cheaper for a 3 series but sixt.com is cheaper at an S class etc.

LWAR | Mietwagen-Wiki | Lexikon

Sixt:
Audi A6 Avant 3.0 TDI [218PS]
Audi A6 Avant 3.0 TDI quattro [218 PS, 272 PS]
Audi A6 Avant 3.0 TDI quattro Competition [326 PS]
BMW 530i Touring 2.0 ( auch xDrive) (2018 )
BMW 540i Touring
BMW 525d Touring (xDrive)
BMW 530d Touring (xDrive)
BMW 540d Touring xDrive
Mercedes E250 T-Modell (4Matic)
Mercedes E350 T-Modell
Jaguar XF Sportbrake
Jaguar XF Sportbrake S [300 PS]
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

He get's what he booked a car from LWAR as Sixt doesn't care what error Expedia made and their confirmation will state A6 or similar
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:22 pm

You will 90% get an Audi A6 Avant 3.0 TDI Quattro. Sixt has been buying tons of them as Audi is charging much less than BMW or Mercedes as it hasn't been updated in years.

I personally would rather take an LDAR for the chance of a new BMW 5 series as the Audis are optioned pretty weirdly and the seats suck as a result.

At least you're saving quiet a bit as LWAR is half the price of LWMR and you'll save a ton on gas with the diesel. Also, the S6 wouldn't be that amazingly better if it were equipped with the 240km/h-rated M+S tires that Sixt usually uses.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up canceling the reservation through Expedia and re-booked directly with sixt for LDAR. Price was a little cheaper I think. Although still disappointed that I didn't get an S6 Avant for cheap :/
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:05 am

Hi,

Please try your reservation on the various sixt websites sixt.co.uk, sixt, com, sixt de (.de had km limitation) as sometimes they vary

And don't forget to log in with a rebate code (log in use i.e. "9815818" as user and "diamond" as password if you are Hilton Diamond member) as this might further reduce the $
[Sammelthread] Contracts / Rabattcodes für SIXT - SIXT - mietwagen-talk.de - Das Mietwagen Forum
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surely the issue here is Expedia, not Sixt? Pretty standard issue too, with any rental car company.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why people would use expedia instead of booking directly with the rental car company (or airline for that matter). I don't believe price is really any better. (Sometimes booking on airline web sites, one might get a better price though.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.