Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sixt Berlin pick up recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Sixt Berlin pick up recommendations

Arriving Tegel in early afternoon. What is a recommended class to book to ensure a car with a decent engine?

Fine with a manual transmission, prefer petrol over diesel 6 cylinder over 4 cylinder.

Are locations other than Tegel that will have nice options I should consider?

From this list, (unsure if it is up to date) LDAR looks good albeit an automatic.
http://derzornigemarkus.de/wp/?page_id=421
Old Jul 11, 2016, 1:10 pm

What is a "decent" engine? A 6-cylinder? According to the Sixt Germany employees I've spoken to, the Lxxx class is just about all automatics. If you want a 6-cylinder engine like a 3.0 TDI or 30d, you'll probably have to book LDAR or better. You might get a 330d on a FWAR reservation but I saw a 320d in that class today. I haven't yet seen a gasoline car that is not specialty (e.g., M4). Perhaps you should book the LPAN class for the M550d. I saw one today and it was loaded with options. You could also book the LSMR class and get something like a barebones 430d Gran Coupe. If you really want a fast manual car with a petrol engine, just rent an hourly Porsche from Porsche Drive in Berlin... The Tegel location is fine and probably has the largest selection of cars. If you're not in a rush, I would recommend the 24h Ku'damm location to avoid the premium location surcharge which you can use to pay for a Porsche rental!
Old Jul 11, 2016, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I should have elaborated a bit more by what I meant re: decent engine. I would really like to try and avoid base 4 cyl diesels. I would be happy with a 3er, but I expect FDMR to be 316, 318, and a 320d to have the lowest rated 2.0L. I already have a 2010 335i, and it is heavy & sluggish. I can't imagine what it would be like driving something that only with 2/3 the power.

The 330 and 3.0T sound sounds interesting, and might be my best option. But, any ideas on PDMR, or is that more of the same 4 cyl diesel?

A wagon would logically have a more powerful engine, but I just don't need all that space.

A Golf GTI with a petrol engine would be great, but I'm sure the chances of finding one in CPMR are slim.

Would love the M3/4 or Porsche, but the rental is for 2 weeks, and would be more than airfare!
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:44 pm

I received an Audi A6 3.0 TDI Quattro for my last 2 LDAR reservations. Decent car but the handling and acceleration aren't groundbreaking as it is a "luxury" sedan. On the other hand it did have a top speed of 240km/h and could get 45mpg if you drove at 100km/h!

The one time I booked a PDMR, it was unavailable... I was offered a base automatic E-Class as a replacement. I believe the chance of getting a manual above the FDMR class is usually slim. You might be interested in the "luxury and fun" offering by Europcar selection. They offer a guaranteed Golf R for about the same price as a Sixt PDMR. The only problem is that mileage is not unlimited.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Any thoughts or experiences booking SSMR? I have a reservation for SSMR right now. But could modify for LDAR if I'm unlikely to get the advertised 2er or Scirocco. LSMR is nearly $300 US more.

Current reservation is from 29 Aug. @9 AM through 9 Sept. @5 PM. I don't need the car from 2 Sept. @ 9 AM through 4 Sept. 9 AM. However, it is actually less expensive to have one reservation for 12 days, than two reservations for 4 and 6 days. Go figure...

Last edited by abcurran; Aug 19, 2016 at 4:30 pm Reason: forgotten details

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.