Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

Sixt Italy Offices "closed" at lunchtime scam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

A warning to anyone using Sixt in Italy.

I picked up a car at Pescara Airport as normal. Staff were very helpful.

When I got home, my card was hit for 45 euros "out-of-hours fee". Now, Pescara it a small airport with only 1 or 2 flights a day. The office just happens to be "closed" at lunchtime when one of the only flights arrives.

I complained to Sixt Italy thinking it was an error. No, this is their normal practice, and didn't see why I was making a fuss.

If I'd known the office was "closed", I'd have waited the 1/2 an hour until was "open" again.

If my plane had been late, and some guy waited late in to the night, that would be understandable, but this is a 90 min lunch break just as a plane arrives.

Their small print also has a 45 euro fee for using the key dropbox.

Sixt in Italy also have a very large excess - up to 5,000 euros (depends on car and location) - with their standard Collision Damage Waiver insurance. Their Super CDW costs about 30 euro PER DAY and still has many exclusions. Make sure you get Car hire excess insurance before you leave home - its much cheaper.

Last edited by aavmurphy; Mar 21, 2013 at 12:23 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 21, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
Did you try contacting Gary Coughlin of SIXT who has a presence here or did you just post your complaint?
My suggestion is to private mail him for help.
And the office is closed from 1300 - 1430 what time is your flight scheduled to arrive?

And siince it is posted on the SIXT website that the office is closed those hours how can it be a scam?
Old Mar 22, 2013, 4:34 am
Original Poster

I contacted Sixt Italy customer services who took 2 months to reply. They said its normal practise.

Flight was on time at 12:55. Pescara is a small airport with just 1 or 2 arrivals (of large aircraft) a day. They close for lunch 5 mins after the Ryanair flight arrives at 1300. That is the scam.

But when the desk is closed, it looks "open" as normal. Nothing out of the ordinary. No sign.

If they'd said "wait 90 mins or pay 45 euro", you could at least choose.

Just picked the car up as normal. No one mentioned this extra charge. Then got the surprise bill when I got home.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:13 am

you could have just read your contract at time of reservation...
Old Mar 22, 2013, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by aavmurphy
I contacted Sixt Italy customer services who took 2 months to reply. They said its normal practise.

Flight was on time at 12:55. Pescara is a small airport with just 1 or 2 arrivals (of large aircraft) a day. They close for lunch 5 mins after the Ryanair flight arrives at 1300. That is the scam.

But when the desk is closed, it looks "open" as normal. Nothing out of the ordinary. No sign.

If they'd said "wait 90 mins or pay 45 euro", you could at least choose.

Just picked the car up as normal. No one mentioned this extra charge. Then got the surprise bill when I got home.
I would contact Gary Coughlin by PM to see about this practice if you want resolution. If you want to just rant then do nothing The choice is yours.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 9:55 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aavmurphy
As much as I think Sixt can do more (my DUS thread), I tend to agree with Sixt. What was the time you reserved the car and the actual picked up time? I think there should be a grace period before the off-hour is levied since sixt.com doesn't flag a warning if you reserve a pickup at 1300 but does so for 1330.

However, I wouldn't call it a scam if they list their operating hours which they do. Ryanair and Sixt are separate companies so Sixt closing 5 minutes after the Ryanair arrives really have nothing to do with anything.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 1:16 pm

I have to agree with the OP here. Rental agencies operating out of airports usually time their operations to coincide with flight times. It's normal for many airport agencies to stay open until an hour after the last arrival.

In this case, the Sixt location appears to time its "break" so that it can extract an extra 45 euro from people on that flight. Maybe not a complete scam, but it's at least terrible form. It's practices like this that happen at far afield locations that end up alienating customers.

Had they told me to wait 90 minutes or pay an extra 45 euro, the choice would have been simple - I would have walked over to another agency.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by johnep1
I have to agree with the OP here. Rental agencies operating out of airports usually time their operations to coincide with flight times. It's normal for many airport agencies to stay open until an hour after the last arrival.

In this case, the Sixt location appears to time its "break" so that it can extract an extra 45 euro from people on that flight. Maybe not a complete scam, but it's at least terrible form. It's practices like this that happen at far afield locations that end up alienating customers.

Had they told me to wait 90 minutes or pay an extra 45 euro, the choice would have been simple - I would have walked over to another agency.
I also agree it is not right but the OP needs to contact via PM Gary Coughlin the SIXT corporate rep on this forum for possible resolution and change in policy. All the OP appears to have done is rant this is not solving the problem.
So until he pursues it further nothing will happen either for him or for the rest of the public.

This may well be a franchise office and SIXT may have no direct control of the lunch times but by working with corporate it may well be brought up at franchise renewal time.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
I agree w/ the OP this is a total scam. Clearly a fee harvesting scenario. Typical of Italy really - I had a 8pm arrival once and paid a similar fee. At least in that case, you can make the case he had to stay late. This is a total scam though - where else in the world is a fee assessed for a mid-day arrival because of lunch?!
Old Mar 29, 2013, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by sixtisbest
you could have just read your contract at time of reservation...
What kind of drugs are you on? How can you possibly blame the customer for being angry about an obvious scam. If the office is "closed", they should have the door locked, not sneak in a 45 euro charge for walking in.

This sounds like a calculated scam.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 1:43 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by johnep1

Originally Posted by BobbySteel
I agree w/ the OP this is a total scam. Clearly a fee harvesting scenario. Typical of Italy really - I had a 8pm arrival once and paid a similar fee. At least in that case, you can make the case he had to stay late. This is a total scam though - where else in the world is a fee assessed for a mid-day arrival because of lunch?!
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
What kind of drugs are you on? How can you possibly blame the customer for being angry about an obvious scam. If the office is "closed", they should have the door locked, not sneak in a 45 euro charge for walking in.

This sounds like a calculated scam.
Pescara is closed 1300 to 1430 and is published. Pescara is also served by 3-4 "large aircraft" through out the day. So i don't buy "the location closing 5 minutes after the flight" as an indication it is scam. Many airport locations don't have a door, much less a locked door.

This is Italy. It is not uncommon to close for siesta. If they want to take siesta, they are not going to "coordinate" with Ryanair on scheduling.

OP indicated had he known he would have waited the half hour. Seems to me he picked up at 1400 despite the flight landing at 1255.

I like to know what time he reserved for. If he reserved on website, a 1330 or 1400 pickup would have triggered a warning that this is outside operating hours.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 2:26 pm

I agree with seawolf.

we are talking about Italy here.
this is not directly Sixt, but Franchise.
I am not surprised at all.

I am not angry about a customer... I am just saying: read your contract before you buy something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.