Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5 nights near SIN in Nov - would like beach/wildlife

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2009, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

5 nights near SIN in Nov - would like beach/wildlife

I was planning to go to Kuching and Bako National Park but my wife made it clear that there needs to be at least some beach time. I can't quite tell how Dumai would be, and I can't tell about the weather at that time of year. We would probably like to stay somewhere cheap or a Starwood. We'll have our two year old in tow. Langkawi looks like an okay option but seems like it might be a little low on variety. We'll be in Singapore for a couple of days on each side. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 25, 2009, 7:26 pm

Programs: I am a lowly ant
You could go to Bintan island. Short boat trip from SIN.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by meester69
You could go to Bintan island. Short boat trip from SIN.
It will be monsoon season and rainy by November, both in Bintan and Kuching. The beaches in Bintan are also less than spectacular.

Langkawi is a somewhat bland but certainly dependable choice for hitting the beach, it will be dry season, and going there is quite cheap now that SIN-Malaysia flights have been deregulated.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 2:53 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Bali or Lombok in Indonesia are in striking distance on SQ.

Palawan in the RP is a similar distance.

Thailand has numerous good beach cities, such as Hua Hin, Chon Buri, Hat Yai/Songkhla, Sri Racha, etc.

Most of these are going to possess superior SPG hotel options to anything in Malaysia, especially Bali.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 6:01 am

High season starts in Nov in Thailand - that means good weather and end of rainy season. If you come latter part of Nov, even better.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alamedaguy
I was planning to go to Kuching and Bako National Park but my wife made it clear that there needs to be at least some beach time.
Tell your wife that Bako has plenty of beaches available!

Although, you might have to share some of it with a few dozen (or hundred) aggressive macaques.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks, all. Since there seems to be something going on in Singapore at the end of our trip, I decided to spend less time there and go for 4 nights in Kuching and 3 in Langkawi. I feel a little bit like a jerk since I can't get excited about Langkawi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.