Wiki Posts
Search

Changi Airport to Johor Bahru

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2008, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, PC Plat, HH Silver
Changi Airport to Johor Bahru

We're flying QF from Syd to SIN landing at Changi around 10:45pm. Anyone know if there are taxis that will take the 3 of us from Changi to JB at that time of night?
Old Jun 3, 2008, 6:47 am

Programs: UA 1P
hmm. i'm not too sure. but you may need someone who is based in singapore to arrange that for you. have you tried looking at the airport transportation website to see if any transport is available?
Old Jun 3, 2008, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MR Plat Elite
driver

I think I have the name and number for our company driver (not employed by the company, but the guy we always use). He's based in JB and will come pick you up and take you to JB at that time of night no problem (I usually arrive around midnight and he always picks me up). I'll check with the managing director of our JB office and forward you the driver's name and number, but you may need to call him in advance to give him the address of where you're going in JB so he can map it out ahead of time.

FB
Old Jun 3, 2008, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
There will absolutely be taxis. Many flights arrive later than that. They're a popular way to get into town, since the cost breaks even with the shuttle van as soon as you put two people in one and Singapore cabbies compare with London's in their professionalism (if not necessarily in their knowledge of the city).

I've never tried taking one to JB, but it's less than an hour away so I don't think it would be a problem.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 11:25 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
my choice, the JB driver

Unfortunately Efrem is correct only if you are going anywhere in Singapore, but not for JB. JB taxis do not pickup in Singapore. The Singapore government forbids this. Also Singapore taxis are not allowed into Malaysia.

So, if the driver is not available, here is my recommendation. Exit the terminal and take a Singapore Taxi to Queen Street where the JB taxis are allowed (point to point). Get a Malaysian taxi to take you to where you are staying in JB. Requires a taxi transfer, but is the easiest way to get to JB.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by opushomes
Unfortunately Efrem is correct only if you are going anywhere in Singapore, but not for JB. JB taxis do not pickup in Singapore. The Singapore government forbids this. Also Singapore taxis are not allowed into Malaysia...
Thanks for clarifying this. Like I said, I never did the JB part, so my last part was speculation as labeled - and, like much of my speculation, wrong. All I know from personal experience is that there are lots of taxis around at that hour. (And that, unless it takes you a lot longer to get out of the airport than it should, the late-night fare increase won't have kicked in yet.)
Old Jun 3, 2008, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

I have looked at the arrivals info on the Changi airport website. There is no info on taxis to JB - only to the City.

A friend has organised a taxi in JB to drive us up to KL. Our problem was getting to the taxi stand in JB as the Malaysian taxi is not allowed into Singapore. Would have taken a flight direct from SIN to KL, but there does not appear to be any flights to KL after 9:30pm.

Looks like there are 2 good options.

Option 1 suggested by opushomes - take a taxi to Queen street, and then take a JB taxi. Do they run at that time of the night? Probably be around midnight by the time we get to Queen street.

Option 2 suggested by flying_bubba - organise a local driver.

Thanks for the quick replies and suggestions. Much appreciated.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by limbo
I have looked at the arrivals info on the Changi airport website. There is no info on taxis to JB - only to the City.

A friend has organised a taxi in JB to drive us up to KL. Our problem was getting to the taxi stand in JB as the Malaysian taxi is not allowed into Singapore. Would have taken a flight direct from SIN to KL, but there does not appear to be any flights to KL after 9:30pm.

Looks like there are 2 good options.

Option 1 suggested by opushomes - take a taxi to Queen street, and then take a JB taxi. Do they run at that time of the night? Probably be around midnight by the time we get to Queen street.

Option 2 suggested by flying_bubba - organise a local driver.

Thanks for the quick replies and suggestions. Much appreciated.
At the JB taxi stand in Singapore, sometimes there are sufficient taxis at other times there are not many (if any) at all and so you have to wait. Usually I've had good luck but I've never used it earlier than abou 6 a.m. or later than 10 p.m. IIRC -- and it's been years.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This has sufficient details and reconciles with what I recall about getting between Singapore and Johor Bahru:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Johor_Bahru
Old Jun 3, 2008, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by limbo
Wow, thats complicated !

Have you checked the availability of a luxury coach from Singapore to KL.
I assure you its a lot more comfortable than whatever taxi your friend may be able to organise for you in JB, and you dont have the problem of finding your way into JB.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mario33
Have you checked the availability of a luxury coach from Singapore to KL.
I agree it is complicated. It's a last minute thing, but I have to be in KL the morning after my arrival in SIN, so there's not enough time to use the express bus.

I have used buses 3 times in the past 3 years and find them excellent. I've been on the Nice2, Grasslands, and Alisan.

We've been holidaying in Singapore and various parts of Malaysia every year since 2002, and before discovering the express buses, we've driven hire cars, used the local JB to SIN bus (#170) and we've also been flying MH or SQ between SIN and KUL.

If it wasn't for the requirement to be in KL early the next morning, I would have used the bus. In fact, I had to cancel my hotel booking for the night we arrive in SIN.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 9:40 pm
Suspended

www.aeroline.com.sg (check day of travel) and I am sure a few other operators have late night departures into KL.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 9:52 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
another couple of ideas

Ouch, you have a serious problem. I thought of the train from SIN to KL, but it leaves Singapore too early to make the connection, but you might be able to pick it up in JB when it stops there at midnight if you did not do the taxi to taxi xfr at Queen Street.

It might be possible to make it by taking a Singapore taxi directly from Changi to Woodlands. Then either try to connect with the train at customs or walk thru emigration, hop on the first bus across the Causeway, pay the exhorbitant fee that the Malaysian taxi guy will want at that time of night and either go to the train station if early enough or go to Larkin Terminal and grab either a bus or out station taxi if you cannot get the JB driver mentioned earlier in this thread.

You might also be able to convince a JB taxi to take you directly to KL from the end of the Causeway just after Malaysian immigration or Larkin. If you do bus to Larkin, be sure it goes there since not all do and I do not recall the color of the license plate to look for.

PM me if this seems confusing.

Now that I have reread the entire thread, I suggest that you do the Woodlands route and have the JB taxi meet you at Malaysian immigration.

Here is the bus 170 schedule. Last bus leaves Queen Street at 0010 which means that it probablely shows up at immigration on the Singapore side at about 0100 if I am calculating correctly. You need to be there 1 or 2 buses earlier to insure hopping on it after the two border formalities.

http://www.sbstransit.com.sg/journey...?serviceno=170

Here is the SMRT web-site. It says you can e-mail them your question.

http://www.smrt.com.sg/trains/trains.asp

Last edited by opushomes; Jun 3, 2008 at 10:12 pm
Old Jun 3, 2008, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mario33
www.aeroline.com.sg (check day of travel) and I am sure a few other operators have late night departures into KL.
Thanks for the link. I've checked many of the express buses online, and their last departure is 11:30pm. I don't think we can make it as we are scheduled to land at 10:45pm. It will take time to clear customs and immigration and catch a taxi to the Harbourfront bus terminal.

The timing is a pain.

I thought the holiday was to get away from stress, but this one is causing more stress.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 11:19 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
My preference would be to stay overnight in the transit hotel in Changi and then get the first shuttle flight in the morning.. Somehow i think you would get more sleep doing this than driving through the night.!

The first Malaysian airlines flight leaves Changi at 06:50 so you could still be in KL reasonably early. There is an SQ flight that arrives 15 mins after that one..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.