Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

PRC visa issued while in SIN - any problems?

Old Aug 14, 06, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I'll be in SIN in November for a week and will need to get a PRC visa for my U.S. passport. SIN hotels don't keep your passport while staying there as far as I remember, correct? I understand it's a four-day process for the visa. Should I have any problems?

Thanks for the help!
Old Aug 14, 06, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by cedarjet
SIN hotels don't keep your passport while staying there as far as I remember, correct? I understand it's a four-day process for the visa.
While I got my PRC visa at the Consulate here in Chicago, my recollection was that it was only a couple of days. 4 seems awfully high, especially given the proximity from SIN. No matter, it is what it is.

As for SIN hotels keeping your passports, I can report that neither the Sheraton nor the Marriott (with which I have personal experience) have ever done so. I don't believe that any of them do.

Best wishes for a great trip! Dave
Old Aug 14, 06, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MR Plat Elite
Cedarjet,

If you're transiting through HKG, you can simply stop in at the consulate and get your visa in about an hour or two. You'll need cash, probably RNB (my memory fails me), they don't accept credit cards/cheques. You might be able to do this in SIN also, but I don't know. I've never investigated the SIN option.

Why are you getting your visa in SIN? I have used a service in NYC with just a few days turnaround. Have you compared prices to getting it in NYC? It's been a while since I went through the HKG consulate, but that was by far the fastest and easiest way to get a 6 month or one year visa.

Have fun on your trip,
Bubba
Old Aug 15, 06, 5:40 am

Cedarjet, what problems are you expecting? That you will need your passport while the visa is being processed?

I would suggest making a copy of your passport and carry it with you while the visa is being processed. This way you would be able to explain your "unindentifiable" status. Bring your driver's license too. Sometimes it may be used as a photo ID.

Yes, apparently the China Embassy in Singapore requires 4 working days to process the visa. You can, however pay an extra S$50/S$35 for a same day/next day service. The Chinese Embassy is at Tanglin Road. For more info,

http://www.chinaembassy.org.sg/eng/lsqw/default.htm

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 15, 06, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Expedited processing is available for visas issued in Singapore, but the price is higher for such service. (And visas are more expensive for Americans than most others.) Only word of warning is to get in early (i.e., at least two hours before posted closing time for visa issuance) so that the staff can't tell you that they can't do it until tomorrow. Generally, the PRC visa process in SIN goes very smoothly as long as you have the form filled out correctly, have any supporting documentation (if needed), have the photo(s), and the funds in local currency with you.
Old Aug 28, 06, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks!

I appreciate all the help. Thanks!
Old Aug 29, 06, 6:38 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Can some one explain was a PRC Visa is and why one would need it?
Old Aug 30, 06, 8:25 am

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by jeffreyt

PRC = People's Republic of China.
Old Aug 31, 06, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Visa for travelling INTO the People's Republic of China (is required for US citizens)... not to be confused with the Republic of China which is also called Taiwan... to which american citizens do not need a visa when visting for less than 14 days.
Old Aug 31, 06, 9:40 am
Original Member

But if you are in SIN, you won't need a Visa if you are a US citizen, correct? And if you are in HKG, you won't need a PRC Visa, correct?
Old Aug 31, 06, 10:18 am

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
But if you are in SIN, you won't need a Visa if you are a US citizen, correct? And if you are in HKG, you won't need a PRC Visa, correct?
Correct--US citizens don't need visas to visit Singapore (a different country, of course) or Hong Kong (a "Special Administrative Region" of the PRC).
Old Aug 31, 06, 11:20 am
Original Member

Whew...thanks. That's the same I had researched earlier. I am going in six weeks to both places and was concerned when I read the OP's message.
Old Mar 4, 07, 4:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
On a related note, visa information source for American citizens...

A bit late for jeffreyt, but a good place (as well as the usual U S State Department website,) for getting visa requirement information and even downloading necessary forms is http://www.traveldocs.com. I have also used their visa services when necessary and can say these folks are very reliable if you need to do that.

Search this Thread