Wiki Posts
Search

Raffles Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2006, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Raffles Hotel

Please dont beat me up for not doing a search, I tried, but when you search for raffles, there are so maby posts that come up, I thought this might be quicker.
I will be going to Singapore for two nights in a few months. I will be arriving on a sunday morning from SFO and will be doing business on Monday and Tuesday morning before leaving for HKG on Tuesday afternoon.
I would love to stay at the Raffles but was a little concerned. On the one hand it could be like the Pen in Hong Kong or the Beverly Hills Hotel in Beverl Hills - classic and charming, but remodeled over the years as to
not seem ridiculous - and on the other hand, it could be like the Plaza in New York, which was clearly resting on its laurels and is not one of 10 best hotels in the city

Any advice would be appreciated
Old Jun 9, 2006, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
I've stayed at the Raffles twice, and been very pleased with the hotel with the exception of one thing: PRICE. It's very expensive, but if you can live with that its an experience I'd recommend for several reasons: 1)Location is excellent, 2)Restaurants are very very good, 3) The rooms (at least the ones I had) were large, airy, and comfortable. The courtyard that these interior suites overlook is very 'lush' and is a very calming influence. The pool is more than adequate, and depending on the time of year, you may or may not notice many other guests at all....
If I were on an expense account, it would be Raffles without question. Enjoy your trip to SIN.
Best, Dave
Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Dave,
Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, I did notice that the rooms were very expensive, but I figured, how often am I in Singapore? So for $150-$200 more than one of the other really nice hotels, I can have a memorable experience.

Thanks again for the advice
Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:56 pm

Programs: AC MM
I did not stay at The Raffles but across in the Raffles the Plaza at the end of a long business trip to S.E. Asia.
Eventhough I haven't stayed at The Raffles we went over for the Restaurants and just had a walk through the lobby and the rest of the property.
We decided that next time we would definetly stay there.
It's quite an experience and if you won't be in Singapore that often and can get the room for $ 150 - 200 I would very much encourage you to stay there.
It's something you won't experience anywhere else.
Enjoy Singapore, it's a great city.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 1:29 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
The Hotel Managers I spoke with (Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, Conrad and Inter-Con) all said that the Raffles Hotel experience has improved since Colony and Kingdom Hotels bought out the company.

I went there for lunch at the Tiffin Room (I know I can get better curries elsewhere) for the experience and it was very very nice as I wandered around the grounds.

I noticed that there are MANY rates plans for this hotel which are similarly priced. The best ones I saw were Visa Platinum where the rate includes breakfast and upgrade is available at check-in. The Singapore Airlines Boarding Pass rate was quite good too. Incidentally, on the SQ Boarding Pass programme, the Stamford Crest suites at the Swissotel Stamford were all half price at 600SGD from a regular rate of 1200SGD..... since these suites are on the 60th floor or so, unparalleled vistas are to be guaranteed.....
Old Jun 11, 2006, 5:01 am

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by yvrcnx
It's quite an experience and if you won't be in Singapore that often and can get the room for $ 150 - 200 I would very much encourage you to stay there.
It's something you won't experience anywhere else.
Enjoy Singapore, it's a great city.
If the rate were $150-$200, it would certainly be a no-brainer, but I believe the OP meant it would be that amount more than what he would pay elsewhere.

Having said that, if price is no objection, I agree with the recommendations to go ahead and stay there. It's a very nice hotel (definitely one of the best in the city) with a lot of history despite being remodeled (don't miss the small museum on the 2nd or 3rd floor), and worth a visit for drinks or dinner, even if you decide to stay somewhere else.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Smile

Well, the hotel is booked.
I just want to thank you guys for putting my mind at ease, because unfortunantly, the hotel is cetainly not $150-200/night!
Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer
We've stayed at Raffles twice in the past year and a half. Each time has been wonderful. It is a one of a kind experience, and I can't imagine you would be disappointed. The rooms are sublimely comfortable, the food is great, and the service is generally top notch. We are returning in August, because there are just not many hotel experiences like this anymore. The Peninsula HK and Oriental BKK are great, but even though they have a lot of history, they do not provide the authentic feel that you get from Raffles. I would not trade it for the FS or the Shangri-La - although each have their own merits if you enjoy a more modern atmosphere. Check out the Raffles Museum in the shopping arcade for interesting exhibits about the hotel's past. We book with the AMEX FHR program, which includes breakfast, and I think the hotel is really a good value for what you get.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I was actually able to book a corporate rate. It turns out to be as expensive as an executive suite at the ritz. But I can stay at a ritz carlton anywhere, I am excited to stay at the Raffles
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:35 am

We have stayed at Raffles 3 times, all before it was 'renovated'. I think a lot of what was there before has been pulled down and reconstructed elewhere as in the Long Bar which is now upstairs and for me lacks it's origional charm. Now it appears more like a themed pub. We stayed in The Somerset Maughan and The Conrad Hilton Suites and although the plumbing was a bit noisy it was just fabulous to think you were in the actual room that a lot of legends had occuppied and all for £75 per night! The rooms opened onto a verandah across which was the pool -our (then) 4 yearold could just go the few yards to the pool whilst we sipped our Singapore Slings
Has anyone stayed both prior to and post the refurb?
Old Jun 27, 2006, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
We have stayed at Raffles 3 times, all before it was 'renovated'. I think a lot of what was there before has been pulled down and reconstructed elewhere as in the Long Bar which is now upstairs and for me lacks it's origional charm. Now it appears more like a themed pub. We stayed in The Somerset Maughan and The Conrad Hilton Suites and although the plumbing was a bit noisy it was just fabulous to think you were in the actual room that a lot of legends had occuppied and all for £75 per night! The rooms opened onto a verandah across which was the pool -our (then) 4 yearold could just go the few yards to the pool whilst we sipped our Singapore Slings
Has anyone stayed both prior to and post the refurb?
I can appreciate your comments that much of the character was remodeled out of the Raffles, and I have also seen too many hotels get the charm remodeled right out of them. However, having been to the Raffles once before remodel, and then twice recently, I think the remodel was pretty sensitive. Before the remodel, there were many 1950's elements to the hotel. I remember heavy Formica in the bar. The porte-cochere to the hotel had clearly been added on in the 1940's or 1950's. I really think the shabby 50's theme pervaded the hotel. Now, it may be a little "done up", but walking the teak verandahs at night is a wonderful walk back in time IMHO. And the exterior of the hotel is much closer to the original facade. The thing that blows me away about Raffles are the huge upstairs lobbies in the main building. These are beautifully furnished, but have very few people using them. I cannot ever imagine any modern hotel allowing this kind of "waste" of space. But it is elements like these that give Raffles its charm and authentic atmosphere.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 6:45 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
But before the remodel the Elizabethan Grill Room was a Colonial Edwardian Gem, complete with Waiters of the same Vintage ^
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by quitecontrary
...whilst we sipped our Singapore Slings...
If you've never had one before, bear in mind that the SS was invented for ex-pat Englishwomen of the early 20th century. I found it cloyingly sweet.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:09 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Palm /Courtyad vs Personality Suites

I am now considering staying at the Raffles in September and was wondering if it is worth paying the extra to stay in a Personality Suite over the Palm Court Suite?

I would be very appreciative of any experiences and advice. Thanks!!
Old Jul 16, 2006, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by luxury
I am now considering staying at the Raffles in September and was wondering if it is worth paying the extra to stay in a Personality Suite over the Palm Court Suite?

I would be very appreciative of any experiences and advice. Thanks!!
We have seen a couple of the personality suites at the Raffles. They are located throughout the hotel, so part of the choice depends on the location in the hotel that you prefer. The personality suites themselves, are identical to the regular Raffles rooms in size, and the furnishings are not really strikingly different either. There is memorabilia from the "personality", so I think it would be important to enjoy that person's works. Several of the personality suites (Noel Coward suite, for one) overlook the fountain at the back of the billiard room. It is a pretty courtyard, but can be noisy. It would not be my preferred location.

My favorite location in the hotel is the Palm Court. The Maugham suite is located there (I think it's downstairs). The Charlie Chaplin suite is an end room in the Palm Court building, but it overlooks another direction. I have not been in that room, but it looks pretty cozy and private. For me, when I stay at Raffles, I love the sweeping view over the Palm Court from the second floor. I would much prefer that to a personality suite elsewhere in the hotel.

If you are looking for a grander room at Raffles, those are located in the main building- the Grand Hotel suites. They are beautiful, but I don't like the balcony arrangement as well. You share the balcony with other rooms, and your section of the balcony is divided off with a trellis. You are nice and close to the pool, however, and the magnificent private (hotel guests only) upstairs lobby areas.

By the way, if you are part of the AMEX FHR program, the upgrade from the Palm Court suite is to the personality suite. We have been offered that each time we have been to Raffles. Last time, we declined the upgrade, because we did not like the location of the personality suite. We are going again in August, and told them not to bother to upgrade us. We just requested our favorite room in the Palm Court, so hopefully we will get it.

So, my opinion is that the Palm Court is great, and you really don't need to spend more on the personality suite, unless it is something that would be of some special meaning to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.