Wiki Posts
Search

Longbar Steakhouse, Raffles, Plantation lunch

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2003, 6:42 am
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Longbar Steakhouse, Raffles, Plantation lunch

Kipling once wrote: "When in Singapore, feed at Raffles." Very true, and if you are looking for some classic atmosphere and great food at a very decent price go to the Longbar Steakhouse at Raffles... for LUNCH.

The famous Plantation Luncheon (noon to 2pm daily) is a buffet but it's NOT your ordinary cold hotel or Las Vegas buffet. Come early and spend the afternoon on a great culinary ride

You start with your very friendly and attentive server asking you to bring yourself to the buffet displays around the restaurant. If you are a seafood lover, you can easily feed up on the lobster, crab legs, prawns (to die for, succelent and tender) and so much more. Variety of salads and oh so much more.

The staff encourages your to enjoy the buffet as much as you like. You need to search around the displays carefully, you never know what tempting delicacy you can find.

You must pace yourself and don't overboard on buffet because another phenonial, FOUR PAWS UP course is to come. That's the main course and when you are first seated you will select from a variety of house specialities. I enjoyed one of the most tender steaks, all freshly made in the kitchen right off the dining room.

Everything is very fresh, the servers contantly replace the dishes to make sure the guests only get the freshest and highest quality foods. The servers are always there to do everything from refill your water glasses to assuring you are happy and everything is perfect.

Then after your main course is one more treat... in the back of the room is the desert lovers section. You must leave room for that, the pastry chefs work very hard to put out a display of beautiful chocololates, sweets, fruits and so much more.

One more reason I like the Longbar Plantation lunch... it's one of the best bargains in the WORLD! Even with a good bottle of wine, two people can dine for $80 US. (I believe it's like $20 for one person minus wine.)

Reservations are suggested, although with the weak worldwide economy I was able to get in with little problem. It's a great way to escape the hot singapore weather and feast on a terrific meal. In fact you may enjoy yourself so much you could make the Plantation lunch your one great meal of the day.

Note: I have not had dinner at Longbar but if the Plantation luncheon is any indication it's also a must

Longbar Steakhouse
Raffles Singapore
1 Beach Road
Singapore 189673
Tel: +65-6337-1886
Email: [email protected]
Old Jan 27, 2003, 10:53 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Need to update my Review of Longbar Steakhouse at Raffles. Finally got a chance to have Dinner there, and, like lunch, it offers great cuisine at a very good price.

You will start out with the famous dilly bread created by a former guest and pickles. Take a few minutes and read the facinating history of what happened in the Longbar steakhouse. It's a great read for a fan of travel or fine dining.

They have a great variety of entrees... the fish dishes look tempting, and beef is the speciality. The New York Sirloin that I chose came out on a sizzing, very hot large square serving block, done to perfection with light spices. The steak melted in my mouth. The servers offered a variety of sauces, from mango to spicy. They also had a very savory sauce which I found out was K.C. Steaksauce.

The steak (or whatever dish you order) comes out like a little work of art with the decoration of vegetables and spices. A few may complain about the portions being slightly small. Do order a side dish or two. The grilled onions are the perfect sidedish, and the potatos skins are minus the fat and very high on taste.

My steak alone cost under $20 U.S. They also offer a Rotesserie special of the evening, changes daily (the night I was there they offered Spring chicken.)

The wine list is impressive. A friend suggestion a very nice Australian and the perfect complement to beef. Prices vary dramatically.

The service... top notch, very attentive, very eager to please. Then again it's Raffles.

I had to pass on the desert menu but chocolate is the major ingredient. Everything read like a symphony of YUM.

The only thing the menu does not have: Pepper crab. It would be an interesting addition to see how Raffles would do it.

If you want to enjoy an evening of fine dining and step back in time do enjoy the Longbar steakhouse!

FOUR MAJOR PAWS UP.

[This message has been edited by Catman (edited 01-27-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.