Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore advice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2001, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Singapore advice

I'm set to spend 2.5 days in Singapore visiting a friend studying abroad on my way to Australia (in just two weeks!).

I arrive at 6:55 am. My friend is at National University (NUS). Is the taxi a reasonably priced and convenient way to get there at that hour? Are there any other alternatives I should consider? Do taxi drivers at SIN have any bad reputation for taking advantage of tourists (to put this in context I rarely use taxis but at that hour and after a 13 hour flight in coach I don't think there's really any choice)?

Also, I have heard many stories about strict Singaporean customs regs. I'll be transporting a lot of personal goods (about 25kg) because I'm moving from Germany back to the US (mostly books and clothes but also non-prescription medicines, melatonine, and some electronics). Will I have any trouble or are they only concerned with recently-purchased goods and prescription medicines? Do they seem to like to target students for "random" searches?

Lastly, is there anything I absolutely must do? I have never been to Asia before if this makes a difference.

As always thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Yonatan
Old Jul 23, 2001, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Well I'm not a college Student any longer, but I don't recall the taxis being very expensive and they are very polite and I haven't heard of them taking advantage of tourists. Tourism is probably the main source of income for Singapore these days.

As for customs, they will be mostly concerned that you can afford your visit and have your onward ticket in hand. I would recommend that you try to look as much like a traveling business man as possible. I do so and never have had a problem. I might recommend that you say you are staying at a Hilton or Hyatt or something. If you say you are staying with a friend, they may be suspicious.

As for drugs, what is non-prescription in your country may be prescription only in another country. And Singapore has the death penalty for drug traffiking. If it's just a couple of small bottles along with your toiletries, I wouldnt' worry. But if you have many bottles of pills, I would probably leave them at home or ship them through the mail.

Old Jul 23, 2001, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Taxis in Singapore are very reasonable compared to the bay area (or the US in general) - only once in many times has a taxi driver done anything questionable (well cheated). There is, I believe, an extra couple of dollar charge for leaving from the airport.
If the place you are going is close to a major hotel there is a shuttle service which costs about $7 - leaves every half hour and drops you off at your destination. It would also be reasonable to take this to the closest point then take a taxi to your destination.
Old Jul 23, 2001, 9:44 pm

I think taxis are reasonably priced. After 6 a.m., it shouldn't be more than S$15. I have never felt that I, as a tourist, was cheated except for early morning trips where after 6 a.m., no surcharge should not be levied. I have been charged for that a few times.

If you really want to cut costs, you can take a public bus. The bus stop is downstairs at the airport. From there, you can take one to a MRT train station. This substantially will reduce the cost compared with the taxi. But if you have baggage, don't try this.

There is also a minibus service just outside the customs. I think it's S$7 to anywhere downtown. They leave whenever they have enough people, like 3 or 4. But not sure if it's operating early in the morning.
Old Jul 24, 2001, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice.

I´m guessing NUS is not in the downtown area? So I guess it´s gonna have to be a taxi.

I´ll wear a suit so I can clear customs without too much pain. Funny thing was that I actually did this for my last trip to the US, and customs decided to interrogate me about what and where I was studying because they seemed to suspect I was really travelling on business .

I think I´ll also bring along a bank statement so they see I am not too indigent.

Yonatan
Old Jul 25, 2001, 1:31 am

I would say the cab ride should not cost more than S$20 (my guess) and it's not a problem to get a cab at that time, there's almost always a line of cabs waiting for passengers at SIN. no worries either about the fare, it runs strictly by meter and as a singaporean i've never once heard of anyone getting ripped off by a cab driver. the ride should not take more than an hour. (i'm guessing 45 minutes) forget about the buses, you would have to make a connection somewhere (downtown?) and travel times will be significantly longer.
hope this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.