Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore vs Malaysia?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2024, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Question Singapore vs Malaysia?

Me and some friends are planning a trip to south east asia and we are forsure going to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia but we want to add a forth country and it's between Singapore and Malaysia. From those who have been to both countries, which one would you recommend if it's just 4 single men that are going and in our 20's-30's and like to party, but also just lay on the beach. I know we will get plenty of beach action in Thailand and Vietnam, so that's not super important. But for nightlight between Singapore and Malaysia, which do you think is the winner and maybe why?

Thanks,
Clayton
Old Jan 1, 2024, 7:26 pm

Programs: BA, SQ
Malaysia as it's far cheaper.
C1ayton likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 11:18 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
You can obviously find a beach in Singapore, but it will be in Santosa, with sand imported from Indonesia and several dozens of containerships in background.

So if beach and partying is really your prioroties, Singapore will disappoint you. And for other nightlife options, Singapore will be 3x-4x more expensive compared to Malaysia.However, if you are looking for a nightlife, Singapore probably has more to offer.
C1ayton and Cryofern like this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, Malaysia it is!
Old Jan 8, 2024, 10:03 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Malaysia is cheaper and has better beaches but alcohol is expensive in both (more so in Singapore). You mentioned you like to party so you may be better in Thailand, Cambodia or Vietnam.

Last edited by sydunipete; Jan 9, 2024 at 2:22 pm
Old Jan 9, 2024, 1:18 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by sydunipete
Malaysia is cheaper and has better beaches but because both countries are largely muslim alcohol is expensive in both (more so in Singapore). You mentioned you like to party so you may be better in Thailand, Cambodia or Vietnam.
Come on now, it simply has to do with taxes not religion; we are not talking about Aceh here. Yes, Malaysia is majority Muslim, but there is no nationwide discrimination against non-Muslims drinking especially if you stick to places like KL, Penang, or JB. Meanwhile Islam is not even a plurality religion in Singapore (<20%). Countries all over the world choose to curb alcohol consumption and/or raise revenue via alcohol taxation regardless of confessional leanings i.e. high alcohol taxes in Iceland, Finland, etc.

Thailand has absurd alcohol duties as well and while the government pays lip service to Buddhism (well, maybe a little more than lip service on Buddhist holidays), but really it has to do with raising revenue and preserving the influential domestic beer oligopoly.
SKT-DK and YVR Cockroach like this.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 2:24 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by prathetkrungthep
Come on now, it simply has to do with taxes not religion; we are not talking about Aceh here. Yes, Malaysia is majority Muslim, but there is no nationwide discrimination against non-Muslims drinking especially if you stick to places like KL, Penang, or JB. Meanwhile Islam is not even a plurality religion in Singapore (<20%). Countries all over the world choose to curb alcohol consumption and/or raise revenue via alcohol taxation regardless of confessional leanings i.e. high alcohol taxes in Iceland, Finland, etc.

Thailand has absurd alcohol duties as well and while the government pays lip service to Buddhism (well, maybe a little more than lip service on Buddhist holidays), but really it has to do with raising revenue and preserving the influential domestic beer oligopoly.
I didn't intend it like that but I've removed that part of my comment.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Singapore is safer generally than Malaysia, except for drug dealers.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 9:47 am

If you want a combination of bustling nightlife and beach tranquility, Malaysia could be the place to go. Kuala Lumpur has a vibrant nightlife culture, with numerous clubs and bars. In addition, you can visit Langkawi or Penang for stunning beaches and a more relaxed attitude. Singapore has a great nightlife scene, but Malaysia may offer a more diverse experience with its cultural richness, dynamic cities, and attractive coastal areas. Finally, it all comes down to finding the right balance between partying and beach relaxation.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 4:34 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by merohitjain101
Langkawi or Penang for stunning beaches.
Is this a joke or are you trolling people? Some of us have been in Langkawi and Penang.
SKT-DK and prathetkrungthep like this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 11:47 pm

It does sound like Malaysia would be a better fit if your main goals are partying and beaches. While Singapore definitely has nightlife, it seems the scene and prices are better in Malaysia. Plus you'll have more options for chilled beach trips too whether it's Langkawi, Penang or elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.